Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom 3 Has Co-op!! ...On The XBox

Gamesindustry.biz has the not-so-shocking news that the XBox port of Doom 3 will feature online co-op play via XBox Live, to go alongside the XBox Live DM that I am announcing it will obviously have as well.

The Xbox version of Doom III currently in development at Vicarious Visions will feature co-operative online play via Xbox Live, according to word coming out of an Activision press event in California today.

Our source on the scene reports that it "looks great" up and running, and that the four-player Live deathmatch mode is also quite something to behold.

Last month, Vicarious Visions CEO Karthik Bala revealed that two-player co-operative play would be one of the major additions to the Xbox version, but despite describing the game as "a showcase title for Xbox Live," the expectation was that co-operative play would be limited to split-screen and System Link options.

Interestingly, the co-operative mode - one of the most enjoyable aspects of the original Doom games - is something entirely of Vicarious Visions' design, and will not be appearing in the flagship PC version of the game in development at Id Software.

The four-player deathmatch mode, however, certainly will be. Id first demonstrated it at the developer's annual QuakeCon event last year, and it drew plenty of attention, despite Id's previous assertions that Doom III is primarily single-player focused, and won't be as much of an 'arena' title as its previous offerings in the Quake series.

Id Software supremo John Carmack recently told a crowd at the Game Developers Conference that Doom III was "really close", and publisher Activision will certainly be hoping to get it onto store shelves within the year.

Note that the co-op support is something the XBox port, done by Vicarious Visions, will solely have, meaning probably no co-op for PC nerds. Cue ten thousand fists shaken in the general direction of Austin... now.

jetflock said:

I'm sure somebody will hack this into the game.

It sure will, as d3 will be 100% customable ;)

So Long, The Werelion!

Wobbo said:

... except we knew about this almost a month ago

No we knew it would have co-op a month ago, not online XBox Live co-op.

I would buy an xbox but I only have a nissan sentra, which is a small car, and xbox is oh so HUGE! (lolol)

VinceDSS said:

that confirms Doom 3 will suck

This confirms you are an idiot.

This is terrible news.
I want id made Co-Op, not fan-made... >:-/

It would've made more sense that the original Doom games didn't have Co-Op, while the new game did. What's the big deal anyway? More player starts (+3), more monsters, and slight level changes.
If they think Co-Op will break the realism of the game (with respawns), they could let it work like in single player, one of you die, you must reload, or one of you die, you must carry on by yourself. Both options would be good...and a third option, works like in classic Doom!

COME ON ID!!!!!!!!! :-)
Afterall, it's a huge game, don't rush it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Duke Nukem says when he dies-"This Sucks!" odds are I am buying the PC version, and I WANT COOP on the PC version (it may not matter, anyways, because for collection reasons, I might buy both the PC and the XBOX port). At least the DM rocks, from what iv'e heard.

Heh, this is a legit reason for me to run out and steal buy an XBox :P

gemini09 said:

Afterall, it's a huge game, don't rush it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Don't rush it"? They've been working on it for nigh 4 years.

jetflock said:

I'm sure somebody will hack this into the game.

I hope that won't be too difficult to do.

In the mean time... *shakes fist*

Heh, I had a game that started with co-op, but no deathmatch. The problem was that the Multiplayer side of the first game was ALL deathmatch and team deathmatch and everyone loved it, so of course everyone was pissed off at there not being any deathmatch until the patch was made. Heh...

No coop for PC DOOM III? BULLSHIT. :| *Puts on iron, spike-studded Heretic(tm) gauntlet and shakes fist. _Accidentally_ flings the gauntlet... >:)*

Someone BETTER make a coop mod for PC DOOM III. It won't be the same as ID making it, though.

Relica Religia said:

That wedding shot is classic. :D

But way too small :-(

I just sincerely hope that co-op wasn't included in DOOM 3 because of a design decision at id, and not because Microsoft might have, say, offered a "monetary incentive" to keep certain features unique to the X-Box version... I mean, think about all the other kinds of exclusivity licenses and the such they have, and MS's other marketing strategies in general.. it fits in all too well.