Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

D3 beta - body section specific damage

A friend of mine had the Doom 3 playable beta and showed it to me. I debated with myself on whether or not I wanted to see it or not..but couldn't wait.

One thing I noticed is that when he killed one of the big "pinky" demons, shooting at the body made it splatter blood and created puncture wounds, but shooting at the metal leg/frame of the monster made the same blood puncture mark.

Little things like this bug me, and I think when others notice it, takes away from the game. Anyone know if things like this will be fixed or modified?

Was that it?

What if you use a rocket launcher? Does it blow holes in the body? Can you stop the mech legs from functioning? Any theories or rumors about this?

Haha, you know it would be neato if like, you shot a demon with a rocket launcher and blew its leg off and it just looks at you surprised, then the wound, then you, then the wound and them faints. Haha, that would be funny. :D

Heh, actually I was think more like you blow a pinky's behind off so it crawls towards you on its front, like Res.Evil zombies. Or blowing chunks out of an imp's body with a shotgun, or disintergrating a zombie with your machine gun.

One of the things i first imagined being able to do, back when doom 3 was announced, was shooting off an imp's hand with the shotgun, and it would run away howling in pain..but if you did the same thing to a zombie it would keep shambling towards you and ignore the injury

And asking where you can download it can result in a ban, as well, iirc.

Lord FlatHead said:

Bullet wound decals and blood splats is all I've heard of.

Yep, which can be seen legally in the E3 vid. If the pinkie's metal body bleeds, I really don't care though. I'm not so picky when it comes to small aspects of immersion. If the gore looked truly real, I think there are a lot of Doom fans who wouldn't play it.

I think its the per pixel poly hit detection which is implimented in doom 3 that allows for bullet holes everywhere in the characters' bodys

It's probably been asked already, but does anyone know if Doom III will be using some sort of GeoMod technology?

Job said:

It's probably been asked already, but does anyone know if Doom III will be using some sort of GeoMod technology?

No, it won't. Carmack made some answer regarding this a while back, along the lines of how it was currently too hard to control visual consistency with systems like this - stuff like making the textures of demolished walls align right and look congruent with the pre-damaged textures etc,

My point was it isnt a big deal there isnt destructable geometry. Also do you know how hard it is to implement that?