Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

tech bases

Is it just me or are tech bases the most horrible form of doom levels POSSIBLE? All these reviewers lap them in hungrily, but I despise the bloody things. Am I just being a totally awkward retard or are there others that think like me out there!!!???

My personal favorite are bases with grey walls and blue floors. Very clean, very cool.

lol ok i guess i am a retard. I consider myself outvoted. My preferences have always been outdoor areas, hell themes and the more natural themes. I don't know why but I've always hated the style of tech bases. I find them boring. Saying that, if they're done well then I don't mind them. I do like a few out there, but the run of the mill techbase i find tedious. But i guess I'm the only one!

I loved the tech bases. and the outdoor ones. And hell and everything about doom and doom 2 :)

Yeah, when i was 3 and i played doom, i was amazed with those tech bases :) and Im still amazed by the quality of them today.

Tech bases own. With that said, definitely get Darkening E2. It's one of the best pwads especially when playing it with JDoom.

Danarchy said:

My personal favorite are bases with grey walls and blue floors. Very clean, very cool.

Heh, me too.

Intel17 said:

Yeah, when i was 3 and i played doom, i was amazed with those tech bases :) and Im still amazed by the quality of them today.

I thought I was the only person who played Doom when I was 3 and it first came out :D

The best maps in Doom1 are tech style, imho. The ugliest map of the game is E3M7. Also, there are some good hell maps like E3M3.
I find it completely okay playing pwad's with tech style as well, as for example the Wasteland series.

Heh, E3M3 is a retextured tech base map. How's E3M7 ugly? Or did you mean E2M7 (not that I think its ugly)?

Tech bases come naturally to the engine's specs... no curves, etc.

Tech bases are ok. I consider them to be an average sort of style. There are other styles I like more. And there are a couple I like less (cavern maps for example).

myk said:

Or did you mean E2M7 (not that I think its ugly)?

Actually it's one of my favourite maps. But mentioning E3M3 was retextured, this map isn't what it appeares either. This was supposed to be an important central map and start of the game, acording to the Doom Bible and as it can be seen in alpha versions. Also a card game was there as the Doom Bible mentioned the marines playing cards.

LogicDeLuxe said:

The ugliest map of the game is E3M7.

Heh, I always thought E3M1 was the ugliest map in the original Doom.

DooMBoy said:

Heh, I always thought E3M1 was the ugliest map in the original Doom.

That or E3M4.

duncan said:

Is it just me or are tech bases the most horrible form of doom levels POSSIBLE? All these reviewers lap them in hungrily, but I despise the bloody things. Am I just being a totally awkward retard or are there others that think like me out there!!!???

In fact, that is one of the reasons why some people prefer Half-Life 2 (or Unreal 2; if some of you can still recall before the game came out) over Doom 3...but personally I don't mind that cuz' I like Doom 3's tech-ish design as far as I'm concerned.

There's a lot of tech bases out there since the texture set for doom is perfect for tech bases with surroundings. But sure, you can do caves and bizarre hell worlds and ash plains. And there's GSTONE1! YAY CASTLE MAPS!!!111

BLASPHEMY

Tech IS Doom so far as I'm concerned

But I guess my favourite maps would be tech levels mixed with other themes as well.