Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

Contents of Manual.....Spoilers?

I bought PainKiller at the weekend....good game but what kinda pissed me off was in the manual, they list all enemies and give a little picture of them...so I knoew what to expect before the game had even finished installing.

This kinda spoils things (for me anyway).....I hope id don't do likewise with Doom3.

Do you think they will?

Something tells me they won't. Id say that they wanted to create a game that messes with your head, so to speak. So putting in enemy profiles could spoil that feel.

Well, looking at all of their game manuals of the past games, they always showed kind of 70 % of the foes. (Omitting the bosses).
The same for items and weapons. But noone forces you to read it before playing. I don't think that the controls are so hard, as to be required to learn them from a manuals. ;)

They might put in a picture of the most common enemies (fallen humans, imps, pinky demons), but I'm pretty sure they won't show any bosses or new creatures.

Heh, just thinking about having a Doom 3 manual in my hands (all stylish and UAC-y) is getting me excited about the release again.

Four years is a long time to wait.

You know you don't have to read the manual. I never do. I read them way later when I'm in the can or something.

I'm not gonna read the manual...just gonna discover everything as I'm playing. And I'm not going to any forums until I complete the game lol.

May be pictures are not needed, but I want to know the name of the monsters before I face them. Some info about the end boss is allways welcome for me, in Heretic/Hexen series it make my fight with the final fiend a lot more "personal". The problem with that last one is that that description make the final boss look weird if it is used in a mod.

Hah. In Painkiller's case, different enemies is all it's got in terms of variety. If they spill THAT in the manual ... oh man.

Im definetly not going to go to any forums until i complete the game because spoilers SUCK! and I wont read the manual either :)

I must admit, I like going into a game cold. Unless it's the complex kind of game where the manual is actually quite necessary.

In case they do put the enemies in the manual i wonder what the descriptions will say. I doubt they would use the old descriptions though eg:

Hellknight: tough as a dumptruck and almost as big, these guys are the worst thing on two legs since T-rex.

BlueSonnet said:

In case they do put the enemies in the manual i wonder what the descriptions will say. I doubt they would use the old descriptions though eg:

Hellknight: tough as a dumptruck and almost as big, these guys are the worst thing on two legs since T-rex.

I also doubt they'll use the exact same text, since most of the rewamped enemies behave differently in some ways and have been "updated". Most of them are like completely new enemies (which imo is a good thing).

I hope the description blurbs for the possessed troops is different - the old ones were kinda dull for such a 'colourful' bunch of characters (pun intended).

Anyway, if they just neglect to put pictures of the critters in there, I wouldn't mind the whole list (minus bosses of course), complete with descriptions - I rarely read the monster list of the manuals until after I've played the game anyway.