Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Good PS2 Games?

SNES... Now there's something I have much experience with. My favorite games for that system are:

Chrono Trigger
Actraiser
Ogre Battle
Castlevania 4
Final Fantasy 3 (6)
Final Fantasy 2 (5)
Uniracers
Contra 3
Super Mario Kart
Uniracers

PS2:

R-Type Final
Burnout 2
Rez
Ico
Final Fantasy X
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
Return to Monkey Island
Midway Collection

And of course, there's all those PS1 games.

God, when I watched you debate I had respect for you Grimm. A good wholesome conservative! Then you go ahead and buy a PS2 instead of a gamecube. Consider us through!

Contrary to Danarchy's statement, the majority of the games listed below are not on the X-Box (or the Gamecube for that matter).

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 & 2 - hack 'n' slash is a niche genre that's virtually spat upon by the "31337 h4rdc0r3 CRPGers", but if you like that sort of thing then these are two of the best. They've got damned fine graphics to boot.

Jak & Daxter 1 & 2 - if you like 3D platform games that are somehow cutesy and dark at the same time. The second one is more dark than the first one, and is generally considered an improvement in almost every way, but the first one is still a great game too.

Ratchet & Clank 1 & 2 - if you like 3D platform games that are slightly more cutesy, less dark, much more sci-fi and with some cool mini-games. Personally I find them more fun than the Jak games, and this is probably aided by the insanely huge arsenal of weapons and gadgets :).

Maximo 1 & 2 - if you're a fan of the ancient Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Ghouls 'n' Ghost games, then you're in for a treat! These are the modern, 3D-ized continuations of the series and are pretty faithful to the originals (though the second one adds some more RPG-like elements). Be warned though - these games are damned hard!

Dynasty Warriors 2, 3 & 4 - tactical strategy meets hack 'n' slash. A unique idea with some pretty cool results - and it has kick ass music (oriental meets metal) too ;). There definitely should be more games like it.

Medal of Honour: Frontline - almost as good as Medal of Honour: Allied Assault on the PC. If you liked that and can bear to play FPS' with gamepads, get this. Contrary to popular believe, the two games only share a single level, and even that is somewhat different in its two incarnations.

Timesplitters 2 - possibly THE most fun multiplayer PS2 game, and the single player game isn't bad either. Has better graphics than any other PS2 FPS, including Quake 3 and UT. Plus some levels, weapons, enemies, etc clearly pay homage to the original Blood, which is no bad thing ;).

Silent Hill 2 & 3 - almost the best survival horror series EVER. You WILL get scared by these games, but to be truely terrified you should play them properly - alone, late at night, in pitch black darkness, with headphones on!

Project Zero 1 & 2, aka Fatal Frame 1 & 2 - the best survival horror series EVER. Explore a haunted mansion/village, capturing ghosts with your camera and getting scared s**tless in the process. Trust me, it's a lot more scary and exciting than it sounds :).

Resident Evil Code Veronica X - if you like slightly more action in your survival horror games, or you prefer zombies and mutants to bizarre manifestations of people's minds brought to life by pagan gods (Silent Hill) or ghosts (Project Zero).

Finally, if you can't be arsed to play PC games on-line (i.e. you're sick of some of the 1337 speaking, cheating t***ts that you often encounter on-line, you're stuck with dial-up, or whatever) and you don't want the hassle of getting your mates to bring round their PCs and setting up a LAN, then several PC games have been ported to the PS2. These include Half-Life, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Star Trek: Elite Force - all of which are now on budget.

Ralphis said:

God, when I watched you debate I had respect for you Grimm. A good wholesome conservative! Then you go ahead and buy a PS2 instead of a gamecube. Consider us through!

As of last Wednesday, I have both :). Though my impressive collection of 30+ PS2 games makes my measily 1 Gamecube game (Resident Evil 1 remake) look truly feeble. It should soon be joined by the Sonic Megacollection, Metroid Prime and Super Smash Bros though :).

Numbermind said:

R-Type Final

oh hell yeah! awsome music, hard as hell, tons of ships...

I love Silent Hill 2. Survival horror isn't a genre I play often, but I was really impressed by this game. Silent Hill 3 though, I'm not so keen on.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I love Silent Hill 2. Survival horror isn't a genre I play often, but I was really impressed by this game. Silent Hill 3 though, I'm not so keen on.

same here, i mean resident evil is fun. however it doesnt really have that creepyness factor i like. silent hill 2 blew me away, one reason was that it was a 'bargine bin game' that weekend. i had only heard of silent hill. howevr i was shocked by how good and fun this game is.

the graphics impressed me the most, real shadow effects. i think it beat doom3, however these are not used to full advantage (most likly due to the fact it was developed for the consol)

though PC versions of both 2 and 3 exsist i think they shoul move silent hill to PC users.

Man, nobody's mentioned Metal Gear Solid 2?! Also, what about the older PS1 games, like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tekken 3, and the like?

News Flash : MGS is overrated! But the first was a pretty great game. The best MGS game is on the cube under the title Twin Snakes

lets not forget soul calibur 2

NiGHTMARE said:

with headphones on!

how the hell? on a ps2?

Fatal Frame 1 and 2 as well as Devil May Cry (but steer clear of the second one). Timesplitters 2 is a fun party game too.

Ralphis said:

News Flash : MGS is overrated!

Sure, the PLOT may have sucked, but the gameplay is good. I'm willing to look past a bad plot to play through a good game.

Numbermind said:

Return to Monkey Island

You meant Escape from Monkey Island, of course. Return to Monkey Island was an elaborate April Fool's prank.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

Sure, the PLOT may have sucked

Bah, one of the best aspects of MGS is it's plot.

To answer the fucking question:

Devil may cry, Medal of Honour: Frontline, Grand theft auto III/Vice city, Silent Hill 2/3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Splinter Cell, Castlevania: lament of innocence.

A lot of those are available other platforms though.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

...Also, what about the older PS1 games...

Oh yeah...PO'ed is awesome, as is the first Tenchu game. I also remember having fun playing the first MGS to a degree, Dead or Alive is a really solid (but bouncy) game, Nightmare Creatures was fun as well, Soul Blade pwn3d, and Die Hard Trillogy was good too. Oh, and a game called Disrupter was a very good Doom clone that actually inspired a level or two of mine. Frogger wasn't half bad, either.

Outside of that...DDR Konamix (only game I play from PS1 now, heh...I need a life).

Quast said:

how the hell? on a ps2?

Many modern TVs have headphone sockets. Mine doesn't though, so I plug my PS2 into my hi-fi (I have a cable with both SCART and audio connectors) and use the headphone socket on that.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

Also, what about the older PS1 games, like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tekken 3, and the like?

Doom :).

Another question. Is the backwards compatibility with PS1 games flawless?