Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khaoscythe

What's your favorite DOOM 64 level?

Everyone, what is your utmost favorite DOOm 64 level of all time?

Mine would have to be the Unholy Chapel and Hectic! Damn those Revenant homing fireballs...damn Level 32!!

Spaz out levels would have to be Even Simpler and Levels 29-31!!

HHHmmmmmmm, I just posted a similar thread. I didnt think I would like D64, but I realy like level 6, Alpha Quadrant. I havent gotten farther yet, cuz Im playin on the D64 equivalent of "Nightmare", and Ill sit and play for five minutes and then go play normal doom.

Summary: I havent played it that much, but I thought L6, AQ "kicked all manner of ass".

I love to quote myself. ;/

ANYONE ELSE NOT TOO ASHAMED TO ADMIT THEY MAYBE KIND SORTA LIKED DOOM64? *insert booing and flying egg sound effects*

Probably Watch Your Step. I really liked the music and the lighting.

The Green Marine said:

Did DooM64 have lighting like D64tc?

Yeah, except the console Doom64 version of the lighting looked better to me.

I always tought the same about the lighting, like the console version had darker shades... Strange. The TC has extras but in my opinion, they shouldn't really be there :-P Spoils the old-school atmosphere a bit.
My Type:
--Terraformer--

Lower the gamma and WALLAH! It looks dark!

Anyway, my favorite has to be... hm... Blood Keep.

It's hard for me to say, really. I liked Into the Void for being so different from any other levels in Doom64, but at the same time, I loved Dark Citadel the most out of all the normal levels, for its music, and the darkness (which is why Dark Nexus is going to have a hub of these "dark" levels, since there's only been one like it, but I want more). I also like Dark Citadel for having the dart trap in it, I loved that.

I said:

ANYONE ELSE NOT TOO ASHAMED TO ADMIT THEY MAYBE KIND SORTA LIKED DOOM64? *insert booing and flying egg sound effects*

See, I realy do love quoting myself...

I realy am proud of you all.
*Gets teary eyed, quickly followed by uncontrolable sobbing*

Nmn said:

I always tought the same about the lighting, like the console version had darker shades... Strange. The TC has extras but in my opinion, they shouldn't really be there :-P Spoils the old-school atmosphere a bit.
My Type:
--Terraformer--

Doom64 used Vertex Shaders for the lighted linedefs, Jdoom doesn't have that. Instead I was forced to use flats to emit those dull glows. Imo, Jdoom came close to the source port that could get the job done, and is the ONLY port that can emulate this effect. I hate it myself, but nothing could be done about it.

I've pestered Skyjake to implent something like this for future Jdoom releases, but instead they were suggested by using strict XG reference to create linedef lightning.. (mind that I HATE XG)

The lighting in Doom64 really is a lot better than it the TC. I just love the first map's circling light.

I don't know what is my favourite level in Doom64, but I liked most of them a lot.

HOLY CRAP...I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT DARK CITADEL...if I'm correct that's the level where you constantly get swarmed by Nightmare Imps throughout the level...and then the giant dart trap with the Barons inside the adjacent room...not to mention the gothic sounding music...HOT!!

Can anyone tell me the secret level where you start with the Cyberdemon dead in front of you...level 29 I think...that level is short but sick when starting with only your pistol!!

It's been a long time since I played it, so I don't remember the levels... but a whole bunch of them are awesome.

Dark Citadel was a good level. It was dark and eerie; and the music added to that effect. For some time I would never leave that level with more than 100 health for some reason. Those times are over though.

I like Altar of Pain myself. Dark Citadel was cool as well. Pitfalls is also one of my faves.

Yes, doom64 had way better lighting over textures. It's kinda expected that the original version will look and feel better than the emulated one though.

The Green Marine said:

Me.

Hell, I loved Doom64. The suddenly-appearing monsters was done so well in the game, it was a thing of beauty. One of my favourites for sure.

AND THE PISTOL DIDN'T SUCK!

Nemephosis said:

Me.

Hell, I loved Doom64. The suddenly-appearing monsters was done so well in the game, it was a thing of beauty. One of my favourites for sure.

AND THE PISTOL DIDN'T SUCK!

Actually, I liked the pistol in Doom64 better, personally.

All doom64 weapons > vanilla weapons.
Who the hell cares if the SS didnt have reload frames? It's the only one of the shotguns that really needs them (there are other variants of the regular shotgun that arent pump-action). And when the weapons look and perform better than the doom ones in most aspects, then why not like the 64 ones better.

DooMBoy said:

Cat and Mouse

I second that. Nothing better than a Cybbie warping all around the level and trying to shoot you in the back. And barely enough rockets to do it.

If I could remember I would say but all I know is it's the one with all of the Mancubus's and Arachnatron's along with that CyberDemon