Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven4

ROR Doom remakes

I just had this fucking looney idea about 3 seconds ago; I'm starting on remaking all the doom maps, with ROR!
With ZDoom's Transfer Heights and invisible bridge things, I'd figure the ROR part would be relatively easy; I've already remade part of E1M2 with an underground secret area to
get to the chaingun...

EASY FEAT FEET

ROR means Room Above Room. It is special because having rooms above rooms is a powerful mapping feature generally found only in more 3d games. ZDoom does not, however, support such a feature so I assume he means he added in floating sidedefs and bridge objects.

Sounds like he means Boom's deepwater effect (which is somewhat improved upon by ZDoom) combined with 3D bridge objects. Using this method, you can have not just one room above another, but another room above those as well.

sargebaldy said:

It is special because having rooms above rooms is a powerful mapping feature generally found only in more 3d games.

Actually, it can be done in virtually any 2.5d game since Doom, as long as it doesn't feature BSP.
Very noticable in Dark Forces for example. Room over room is used that heavily that they needed a layering system in the automap, you just can't imagine living without it.

I'm pretty sure most other so-called "2.5d" games don't actually have true ROR, but rather just portals or cheap hacks.

sargebaldy said:

I'm pretty sure most other so-called "2.5d" games don't actually have true ROR, but rather just portals or cheap hacks.

Portals most of the time. Challenge about true ROR is collision detection and AI. Most 2.5d games rely on 2 dimensional worlds for optimisation.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Actually, it can be done in virtually any 2.5d game since Doom, as long as it doesn't feature BSP.
Very noticable in Dark Forces for example. Room over room is used that heavily that they needed a layering system in the automap, you just can't imagine living without it.

But uh, many games since Doom have featured BSP. And had rooms over rooms. Unless you are talking purely about sector based engines?

ToXiCFLUFF said:

But uh, many games since Doom have featured BSP. And had rooms over rooms. Unless you are talking purely about sector based engines?

He's obviously thinking *2D* bsps :P

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Yes, I wrote 2.5d engines, which means sector based, ie. having vertices with only 2 coordinates.
I know at least of Quake and Unreal featuring BSP, but since it is a 3d BSP, ROR is no problem.

sargebaldy said:

Checkout the Build engine! It has. Duke Nukem doesn't even have portal rendering, which, in deed, was added later in Shadow Warrior and in Blood.
Thankfully to the absensce of BSP, you can even have multiple rooms which occupy the same space, ie having sectors in the same coordinates AND with the same height. One of the deathmatch maps which comes with the game makes heavily use of this possibility. Try this in an engine with true 3d-bsp! It won't work.
However, sectors connected on top over another are in deed faked (similar to boom's line teleport tricks), but the rendering is for real.

Yes, I'm talking about ZDoom/Boom's Deepwater effect with floating K2 bridge things. I'm not using the originals as a base, I'm completely remaking them for structural reasons. It's actually fairly simple to do...