Mainstream or Underground  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Mainstream or Underground

• Mainstream
    • Underground
    • Anything is good
    • They both suck
    • It is up to the product in question

What are your thoughts guys? I find myself getting increasingly disillusioned by most of what I see on T.V. The pop culture, reality-based shows and celebrity scandals are becoming something of a bad, fucking headache. What gets to me the most perhaps is the music, a passion for me. I find that the only quality music these days can only be found with underground artists; such wasn't the case a decade back.

Is something generally wrong with the public, or is it just evolving set of interests of the masses? Afterall, the mainstream only works because the public loves it.

Underground. Wouldn't want to be part of one big, grey mass.

Old mainstream that no one cares about anymore. Its safe to say that if you enjoy a trend that has passed, it won't be around to bother you again for quite some time... Just like what you like and don't try to impress anyone. For example, though I love old Masnon and Nails, I also like Jewel and Paul Simon. If you don't like it or think I'm a sissy for liking Jewel, play a good old fashioned game of hide and go fuck yourself. I try not to limit myself with the tired argument of pop vs. underground. There's a lot of crap floating in the mainstream and there's a lot of crap buried underground. So where's the "I'm open minded to anything that's not crap" option?

Doesn't matter, whatever pleases me. It's easier then.

If I say, "Oh, underground all the way," then if I find a mainstream thing I like, I'll have a bit of a delimma. So whatever floats my boat is fine by me.

DJ_Haruko said:

Doesn't matter, whatever pleases me. It's easier then.

If I say, "Oh, underground all the way," then if I find a mainstream thing I like, I'll have a bit of a delimma. So whatever floats my boat is fine by me.

But that's so not PUNK!!!

Anything that's good, but given my taste in music (many forms of dance/urban) that tends to be underground, although some mainstream stuff can be good as well.

I honestly couldn't give a shit, I listen to everything from Public Enemy, to the Darkness, to Metallica, to Cannibal Corpse, to Exodus, to just about everything in fucking between.

I don't let either side dictate what the fuck I like.

I like some classical, some jazz, some rock, some dance, some disco, some rap, some funk, some comedy, some metal, and (gasp) even some pop. In otherwords if I like the song I like it. I grade by song, not band or genre. Well, everynow and then I have a band I like (Weird Al) but that's just because I like pretty much everything of thiers :P

Underground for the most part, because whenever something hits the mainstream there's strong pressures on it (from public, publisher, etc) to avoid doing things risky and experimental (i.e. original), and to make it more accessible (putting catchiness over creativity). Personally I listen to music as a creative artistic form, and catchy unoriginal music holds little interest for me.

sargebaldy said:

Underground for the most part, because whenever something hits the mainstream there's strong pressures on it (from public, publisher, etc) to avoid doing things risky and experimental (i.e. original), and to make it more accessible (putting catchiness over creativity). Personally I listen to music as a creative artistic form, and catchy unoriginal music holds little interest for me.

That and the fact that sometimes corporate sponsorship/record labels sometimes dictate the content of the album and have their own expectations. The very fact that sometimes the mainstream cater to the general taste might deter any creativity and originality it otherwise would have had.

Its easier to find a damn good song which is underground than one that comes from mainstream, though I'd have to say I prefer anything that sounds good to the ear.

doomedout said:

I find that the only quality music these days can only be found with underground artists; such wasn't the case a decade back.

well, grunge was "underground" until nirvana changed that...that's simply the way things are...and the way things will always be

Is something generally wrong with the public, or is it just evolving set of interests of the masses? Afterall, the mainstream only works because the public loves it.

no, it's more like, most people don't have time to sit around and "discover" great super awsome artistic music...most poeple don't give two shits...why should they? they might more important things to do. neither do i, for that matter.

"underground" is simply another image, another label, for certain people. People think they've cleverly outsmarted the system somehow by not buying into the "latest mtv whatever". When they are, in fact, buying into another thing. It's funny because some of these people go to the extreme and basicly go out of their way and intentionaly avoid anything remotely mainstream...in what seems to be an attempt to maintain the image they created for themselves. But whatever, people need to "belong" to something, so to each, his own.

Me? I like what I like, which ain't much to say the least. going on stupid crusades for image in whatever way you do it is a waste of time

yeah, nirvana was underground for a while, and i wish they'd stayed that way. their live music sounds a lot better (to me) than most of their album works because the producers wanted it going to a mainstream audience and figured they'd put a lot of makeup on it, cater it more to the popular media. i kind of think of nirvana as an underground band that somehow ended up trapped in the mainstream.

Quast said:

well, grunge was "underground" until nirvana changed that...that's simply the way things are...and the way things will always be

But of course, the mainstream had to latch on to the grunge movement-- just as it does with anything gaining popularity if they expect to make the most money they can. You'll notice that the "picking up grounge(that's loungs grunge) bands left and right in the hopes of another Nirvana" trend hasn't completely died yet. At this particular juncture, I really don't see a band or movement that's sticking out right now... unless you count rap. Hey, they can have this decade. See? They're starting to roll out already. Outkast is great and all, and they deserve the attention they're getting, but the mainstream will probably phase them out. There's no tenure here.

no, it's more like, most people don't have time to sit around and "discover" great super awsome artistic music...most poeple don't give two shits...why should they? they might more important things to do. neither do i, for that matter.

I think a specific genre of music tainted the "underground" label. I blame Goth Rock and Emo.

"underground" is simply another image, another label, for certain people. People think they've cleverly outsmarted the system somehow by not buying into the "latest mtv whatever". When they are, in fact, buying into another thing. It's funny because some of these people go to the extreme and basicly go out of their way and intentionaly avoid anything remotely mainstream...in what seems to be an attempt to maintain the image they created for themselves. But whatever, people need to "belong" to something, so to each, his own.

Me? I like what I like, which ain't much to say the least. going on stupid crusades for image in whatever way you do it is a waste of time

What's wrong with supporting a band you like? Nothing. I'm glad my $20 is going towards Dovetail Joint and Daniel Lanois. Actually, my Dovetail Joint CD was a radio promo, but don't tell them that. Though it's very hard to assure myself that I belong somewhere when I can't even pick a genre to like. Usually it's prog rock, but I get into industrial, indie, ambient, blues-oriented rock, hiphop, and just about anything else.

I can't remember the last time I was "into" music I didn't like for the sake of acceptance. I don't remember that being a huge point for kids, even when I was in high school.

I like the mainstream that in a decade will be music that people actually feels like listening to.

Because, hey, Yes, Creedence and Dire Straits are all bands I really like and they aren't/weren't exactly fight-the-system-underground bands.

Over here in ol' Blighty, TV is dominated by reality TV and soaps. Even the dramas of old (The Bill stands out) has become a soap with ridiculous storylines.

In regards to US TV, the cancellation of 'Angel' comes to mind instantly - i've heard the axe on this show has fallen in favour of more reality shows. Do we *really* need more 'Big Brother' esque shite?
The worst part is that these shows do get the views, they do pull in multiple-million couch potatoes. Perhaps it's a reflection on the fact that a massive amount of people across the globe have so little to entertain them in life that they find a fascination in watching the lives of others.
I've gotten to a point where i barely watch TV. Musically, i completely avoid the charts and rely on my trusty CD player and 'Scuzz' on Sky TV.
I simply do not rely on the majority of mainstream to give me what i want.

Serious underground. I mean, has anybody here even heard of whoever composed for King of Fighters, let alone the likes of Necros, Alex Brandon, Smirk, (M)Rated, and Sai'ke?

If everyone loves underground, doesn't that make it mainstream essentially

doomedout said:

I don't think the public has changed that much; and "mainstream" works for many reasons. Mainly because enough is spent to produce it. The problem is that we are basically individuals, and the popularity of something is not going to make it better or worse for each of us. Although it certainly often does suffer in one way or another in order to become popular.

The poll options fail it for me.

Ralphis said:

If everyone loves underground, doesn't that make it mainstream essentially

no, mainstream means something is commonplace, recognized, mentioned, and most importantly played and promoted a lot by major media such as television and radio.

sargebaldy said:

no, mainstream means something is commonplace, recognized, mentioned, and most importantly played and promoted a lot by major media such as television and radio.

Underground is still mainstream among the underground people. So you're mainstream either way. You fail it.

You're not "mainstream" unless you're listening to something only because other people are listening to it. You're listening to it because you enjoy it, not because of its popularity and recognizability by other people so you don't feel like a social outcast.

And I'm sorry to tell you this and perhaps hurt your egomaniacal perfect little Swedish mind but your logic is a complete fucking failure. You can't say if something is mainstream amongst a group it's mainstream in general, that's like arguing murder must be mainstream because amongst murderers it's mainstream.

I clearly didn't say that mainstream among a group is mainstream in general, I quite specifically said that it is mainstream among the group. Murder is mainstream among murderers. Perfect logic.