Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom Marine

Screenshots without items or enemies

The only way I found to take such a screenie is via Doom Builder in 3D mode, but I see other shots of [other people's] wads being screened in the software rendering mode no problem, so how do I do it?

doom -warp 1 1 -skill 0

Though it might be broken in many a source hack. Perhaps the more feature cluttered ones have alternate ways of doing it.

Hmm... I just tested with Boom and then with ZDoom 1.17c and they failed it. The former just used the default and the latter used 1.

Since it's usually the sound which may cause problems on recent hardware, you could just run the original doom.exe without sound and use the "-skill 0" option. You might also try this with doom95, which I didn't yet.

A solution which should work in any source port: Make a wad in which all sprites are replaced with invisible things! Or just make them invisible in a deh file if your port supports this!

If you just want to get rid of enemies, use "-nomonsters". This works in most (if not all) ports as well as the original .exe.

To take a shot with no HUD weapon showing, either create a wad which gives one or more weapons blank sprites, or take the shot inbetween switching weapons.

Want a screenshot without things?
Delete them, save the wad seperately from the original, and take your damn screenshots...

It doesn't take much brains to figure that one out. Why waste time making a dehacked file or wad?

Of course, you would have to deselect stuff like player starts and teleport landings.

-skill 0 in doom2.exe will also remove decoration items from the map (or rather not display them) which is not the desired effect since you'd normally want those to be there for screenshots (I assume). Plus you can only take 320x200 screenshots, which are tiny. Your best best is to run with -nomonsters, and then when you find an area you want to take a screenshot run around and pick up all the items there (you can use a rocket launcher to hurt yourself if there are medkits/stimpacks) and then take the screenie

Cyb said:
when you find an area you want to take a screenshot run around and pick up all the items there (you can use a rocket launcher to hurt yourself if there are medkits/stimpacks) and then take the screenie

Heh. Might as well use ZDoom (or a derivative) with dmflags on instead.

I'd open a level editor and remove the items from the area I wanted to take a picture of.

I think EarthQuake already said that...

EarthQuake said:
Want a screenshot without things?
Delete them, save the wad seperately from the original, and take your damn screenshots...

yup...