Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cassandra

Is it me or...

Doom under Zdoom 1.23 is harder than under Zdoom 1.22 ?
(harshness of monsters, speed, etc etc...)

To my mind, I think so...

Nah. I think it's just you.
Doom's not hard for a veteran like me.
:)

Maybe it's just me but I wonder if those damned monsters
(like Pain Elemental and Imps) spit more Lost Souls and fireballs than before...

It shocks me when I replay The Pit in Doom II (Map 09)
and get killed by noumerous (very numerous !) Lost Souls...
The Ultimate shame !
I know I'm not a pro like all the others here (and all those insane demomakers I saw !
It's unbelievable they clear all maps with a crazy fast real ease...)

Anyway, I will train harder !

Anyway, I will train harder !

Use the Force, Cass. Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Cassandra

Prophetess or fond?
Tho' her parle of truth:
"I ken to-morrow - refell me if ye can!"
Yet the kiss and breath - Apollo's bane -
Sëer of the future, not of twain,
"Sicker!", quoth Cassandra.

There is a possibility you have spotted something if your problem is mainly with pain elementals and the number of lost souls they spawn.

There used to be a limit in doom. The number of lost souls on a map would be checked whenever a pain elemental tried to spawn a lost soul. If the number was above a certain limit (64 IIRC - maybe less) the pain elemental would open his mouth as if to attack, but nothing came out, making him a pretty easy, boring and stupid looking target. If you placed a pain elemental near the start of a big level with a lot of lost souls in it, well it was pretty pointless because they just couldn't attack.

This limit was still in Zdoom 1.22, but was changed during the development of zdoom 1.23.

From rh-log.txt from the zdoom source

"February 26, 2001
- Added limitpainelemental cvar to control whether or not Pain Elementals will limit their attacks based on the number of Lost Souls in the level."

The pain elementals are not limited by default, but I guess you could use this cvar to switch back on limiting it if you wanted. Probably typing "limitpainelemental true" (no quotes) at the console would do it.

i still think its u, u just need more practice. Thats how a master (like me) gets better, time and patience

Well... I have noticed that less shotgun pellits seem to hit monsters, and the BFG dosn't seem to be as effective anymore... but jumping and looking up and down kinda makes up for poor sprite clipping...

I think it's easer myself...

Bah, what do I know...

I've noticed it getting a lot harder for me too. Probably because I haven't played seriously in years, although I do test maps a lot so I don't see how I could have gotten worse. I think some of it really is the different "feel" of source ports. For whatever reason, I always play way better using doom.exe/doom2.exe than I do with any source port. As for playing skills, I used to be god around this city. Usually able to beat levels in single tries and pull off crazy maneuvers and all that. King of DM; I'd win like 200 to 10 if we went long enough and nobody ever beat me, in tournaments or other games like Quake or anything. Then I somehow ended up in some DoomServ DM about 2 months ago and this little punk whooped me like 100 to 21. Of course it was in Map01, but still. The last time I played DM before that was like 3 years ago, so... I guess you do get rusty after being away for so long.

And just for the record, I've always detested DM and favored co-op. Some people just refuse to co-op though :\

Some people just refuse to co-op though :\

Most maps are not designed with co-op in mind, and turn out too easy. And just throwing in extra enemies for co-op doesn't necessarily make it a good co-op map. That's probably why most people don't go for co-op maps.

Some people just refuse to co-op though :\

Most maps are not designed with co-op in mind, and turn out too easy.

Well, this was back when the only multiplayer we did was in my basement on a serial link, using maps I'd specifically made for multiplayer and net games.

So, yeah, it did frustrate me a bit.

It would be cool to design a co-op map with specific objectives. A hub-type system would work well for that, although I don't know if it's possible for different players to be in different maps simultaneously. For example, one player's objectives could be to conduct recon activities in one map, another player goes to another map to blow up the weapons depot, while a third player visits a third map to disable communications, etc. etc.

A hub-type system would work well for that, although I don't know if it's possible for different players to be in different maps simultaneously.

See what the deal is with some of the newer games I guess. I've never played Q2 multiplayer enough to know if that's how the game works or not. I'm pretty sure when one player exits a level, everybody else follows no matter where they are.

What you could do, however, is put all the different "levels" into one single map and have it operate like that.

And just for the record, I've always detested DM and favored co-op. Some people just refuse to co-op though :\

I, myself prefer Co-op games.

What you could do, however, is put all the different "levels" into one single map and have it operate like that.

Yes, that's the obvious solution, except if you're dealing with large, complex maps. Assembling several large maps into a single map could cause all kinds of problems. But if the hub system doesn't work in the way I described, then there's no other alternative I guess. Still, the co-op experience could be vastly improved if there were more objectives than just blasting away at enemies.