Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

A few ideas.

Hello all.

Had a few ideas the other day, and I was wondering how plausible they are, and if anybody already did them.

1. Adding more frames to sprites (such as DoomGuy and enemies) to make them look more realistic.

2. Adding angle frames so they update more frequently.

3. Adding y-axis frames so that when viewing sprites from above, they don't look all funky. In zdoomgl there are two billboarding options, x\y and y, but they both look wrong. If there could be sprites that show the heads of enemies or the tops of barrels, that would be really cool.

4. Is it possible to change the sprites of a actor ingame? I would like to make a way so that when (in mp mostly) you equip a ssg, your doomguy sprite changes to show that. There are skins for Doomguy showing him equiping all the weapons. even when in berserk mode! It would be nice in mp if i could see who is using what, instead of just having to tell by the sound of their shots. probably some sort of script could take care of this.

Has anybody already thought of this?

They all involve adding massive amounts of animation to the wads. This may cause slowdowns, or is it even possible to add frames to sprites?

Also, is there a way to shorten the time between when DoomGuy stops moving and the animation stops moving? I mean the way his legs will keep walking for a few seconds after you come to a stop. This would mostly be used in mp, but I thought it would be nice.

The problem with any additions to the game like this is compatiblity with custom sprites. It would detract if the normal imp had tons of animation, while somebodies yellow-eyed imp would just have the defaults. Of course, people could just take the time in their projects to add the frames thierselves... but it would still be nice to have a higher level of animation in the game.

look the monster from above means make a whole new set of sprites, all the angles and all the animations now with a diferente y angle. Even with that hard work it probably wouldn't look realistic (I'm not sure about that). But it suposse a lot of work for something that imo is not necesary. Personaly I think that it's best to reduce the players view, instead of all the angles, turn it like Hexen or Heretic, so you just can't look the monsters in the "wrong" angle. Of course this must be a customisable option, so the ones who prefer free look can use it, and the ones who want their view to be reduced can do it(is not the same if you just choose not to look in that angle).

I like the idea of the players with diferent weapons.

Allright. I see what you mean. I usually have freelook enabled and autoaim off. I just like it better that way, and it gets annoying when shooting something below you. BTW, when you are shooting something below, I am never able to hit it! Does doom base hits off sprite boundries or "hitbox" boundries?

But it would be a ton of work. But what about adding more rotational sprites? Shoulden't be too hard. Make things look a hell of a lot nicer to boot. Thanks for the input.

Rather than waste the time making a bunch of y-angle sprites(which wouldn't improve the look much, anyway) why not instead make a good model?

For one thing, zdoomgl still has plenty of bugs (new version out!). There are also performance issues, and the fact that most people who make new material don't take the time to make a full-fleged md2 replacements.

Andy Olivera said:

Rather than waste the time making a bunch of y-angle sprites(which wouldn't improve the look much, anyway) why not instead make a good model?

Maybe because it's a lot more work? There must be a reason why most model replacements for Doom sprites look like shit.

Graf Zahl said:

Maybe because it's a lot more work? There must be a reason why most model replacements for Doom sprites look like shit.

you mean in comparison to the abundance of high quality sprites not stolen or modified from another game? :P

Graf Zahl said:

Maybe because it's a lot more work?

Thats just silly. You'd have to make some kind of model, whether with clay or vertexes, to render a sprite from lots of different angles. Then you've got all the extra effort of rendering the sprites, making sure the pallette translations work etc...

chilvence said:

Thats just silly. You'd have to make some kind of model, whether with clay or vertexes, to render a sprite from lots of different angles. Then you've got all the extra effort of rendering the sprites, making sure the pallette translations work etc...

But such a model doesn't need to be perfect to look good as a sprite, especially if the resulting sprite has the same resolution as the ones from Doom.