Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

what i need

it seems strange that most virus scan programs make rescue floppies and not rescue CD-R (or an ISO image that can be burned to a CD-R) when CD-R's have been around for some time. Also most PC makers are no longer putting floppies on systems. even if you do use a floppy it could take as many as 10 disks.

so what virus scan programs make an ISO image or a bootable CD-R disk?

why am i asking, well duh i need one. i have a few systems that are infect by viruses. a bootable rescue CD would be nice. also the guys at work would like a similar feature

You can always boot from a floppy and then access as many rescue stuff as you want from a CD. And if you don't put a floppy in your PC, you're a dumbass.

dr_st said:

You can always boot from a floppy and then access as many rescue stuff as you want from a CD. And if you don't put a floppy in your PC, you're a dumbass.

I'm about ready to get rid of the floppy drive.

Arioch said:

I'm about ready to get rid of the floppy drive.

I stand by my words.

I don't see the reason NOT to have a floppy drive. It's not usually a huge space hogger and it doesn't hurt to have one around

Ralphis said:

I don't see the reason NOT to have a floppy drive.

You don't have horse & wagon standing in the garage, though, do you?

It's good to have a floppy drive so that you don't run into these situations where you go, "Damn, I don't have a floppy disk drive!"

Fredrik said:

You don't have horse & wagon standing in the garage, though, do you?

A wagon takes space that could be used for something else. A floppy drive only takes space that could be used for itself and only itself anyway.

A horse needs to be fed and taken care of. A floppy drive costs 10 bucks, tops, is absolutely harmless, doesn't consume any resources and doesn't cause any problems. Oh, and it can be useful too.

Dr_st is bang-on.

However, if anything replaces floppies, flash chips are in contention.

dr_st said:

A horse needs to be fed and taken care of. A floppy drive costs 10 bucks, tops, is absolutely harmless, doesn't consume any resources and doesn't cause any problems.

Ah, but you forgot the pain beams the floppy drive radiates.

personaly i never use floppies, but i still put one in my system.

i just think it would be a thousand times better to have a bootable CD. i guess there is no easy way around this. seems like such a good and simple idea. I dont know why programers would not add this feature to new anti-virus programs.

oh well. i guess they can just live with their damn viruses.

My original Doom is in the form of four floppies...so I'm keeping my floppy drive, thank you!

Although I have XP I find my old win98 start up floppy is great for starting the machine whenever theres a problem.

I haven't got a floppy in this box but it doesn't matter. Even though all the uni computers are in the dark ages and still using floppies I just email anything I need there and back.

Norton Systemworks has a recovery CD option. Probably their standalone anti-virus software has a recovery CD too.

Although you wouldn't find me touching NAV2004 at all since it's a piece of shit otherwise.

And as far as file transfer needs go, I do fine with my 256MB USB keychain. Floppies are just too small and unreliable for my file transfer needs now.

spank said:

Why, and what alternatives do you suggest?

A 256MB USB keychain obviously :P

yea i used norton and it sucked donkey balls. i mean shit was still getting thru and it was still not able to get rid of many things, even when fully up to date.
i use a basic one called AVG, it has worked well for me, and it gets all the crap norton misses. though i am sure there are better ones. AVG only makes bootable floppies.

I have a floppy drive, but in AVG this feature seems to be broken. every time i go to make a boot disk it freaks out. other virus scans want an insane amount of disks, 10 +.

this is not a system i own that is infected. the neighbor's computer has been hit with stuff like blaster and several other worms. normaly i use a linux boot disk and remove the virus that way, however the disk fails to boot. possible there is a lot of hardware damage. hey a house with 8 kids, to heavy adult smokers, 90 degree humid enviroment and abuse will kill a system. I have replaced the CPU fan on it 3 times in the last 2 years. each time dust and tobbacco ash where caked to them.

I had Norton ages ago on my old box. Even after virus defs had been out for DAYS it would still say awaiting solution or something. Good job I never got anything I couldn't clean out.