Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Thief 3 has gone gold!!!

Thief has always bothered me, but maybe this one will be different. Let's hope anyway.

thief and thief 2 were great but this was made by the same people who borked Deus Ex 2 :(

Cyb said:

thief and thief 2 were great but this was made by the same people who borked Deus Ex 2 :(

I have little faith in this incarnation - I just don't like the idea of making Thief 3 a third person game.

Job said:

I have little faith in this incarnation - I just don't like the idea of making Thief 3 a third person game.

Doesn't it let you switch to a 3rd person view if you feel like it?

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Thief 1 to work so I can play it. Never got past the second level on it.

I have similar problems with the first entry. The game simply freezes partway through the training level, while I was also going to put off Thief 2 until after finishing the first game. The messageboards at thief-thecircle.com provided some ideas, but nothing worked. Meh.

Anyway, if these games were largely story-driven, I'm not too tempted by the third installment.

On the topic of DX2, I finished Deus Ex 1 a few days ago for the first time, and it was a real blast from start to finish. With the word "disappointment" most commonly associated with the sequel, though, I'll probably save myself the pain of learning for myself. :)

dx2 as a game isn't that awful

dx2 as a sequel to dx1, on the other hand, is

I remember wasting many and many a night away playing the original Thief: The Dark Project, which was, is, and always will be a very kickass game. I never did get around to playing Thief 2: The Metal Age. I'd love to, I've heard it's just as good as the original. As for the third, guess I'll have to wait...

Cyb said:

Same company maybe, but not the same people. Well, some of them worked on DX2, but not all. Many of guys on the Thief 3 team come from Looking Glass, and worked on Thief 1 & 2 - including the art director, cutscene producer, lead designer, chief script writer, lead programmer, most of the voice actors, etc.

Job
I have little faith in this incarnation - I just don't like the idea of making Thief 3 a third person game.[/B]

Thief 3 isn't a third person game. It's third person AND first person, i.e. you chose which viewpoint you want. You never even have to switch between the two if you don't want to.

NiGHTMARE said:

Same company maybe, but not the same people. Well, some of them worked on DX2, but not all. Many of guys on the Thief 3 team come from Looking Glass, and worked on Thief 1 & 2 - including the art director, cutscene producer, lead designer, chief script writer, lead programmer, most of the voice actors, etc.

and many of the people who worked on DX1 worked on DX2, so what's your point?

I think it has less of a chance to not suck than DX2 did (they changed less of what made the first two great compared to DX1 -> DX2) but I'm not holding my breath :(

The Thief team have already managed to create a sequel that lived up to the original (in fact, IMHO Thief 2 is better than Thief 1), whereas the Deus Ex team hadn't.

NiGHTMARE said:

Thief 3 isn't a third person game. It's third person AND first person, i.e. you chose which viewpoint you want. You never even have to switch between the two if you don't want to.

I fear this is an indicator of bad things done to the franchise. I think, technological aspects aside, the original creators would've gone batshit crazy if someone suggested a feature that allows for you to impair the inmersion factor.

NiGHTMARE said:

Heh, I didn't know this because whenever I played Thief 1 and 2, it was in first person mode.

Zaldron said:

I fear this is an indicator of bad things done to the franchise. I think, technological aspects aside, the original creators would've gone batshit crazy if someone suggested a feature that allows for you to impair the inmersion factor.

See above - it's being made by the original creators (well, a majority of them anywy)!

Besides, people seem perfectly able to get immersed in other 3rd person stealth games such as Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, so why should this be any different? Morrowind, while not being a stealth-based game, is similarly fantasy themed and also allows you to switch between 3rd and 1st person - and is immersive as hell regardless of which mode you're in.

Regardless of that, if someone doesn't think the 3rd person mode is immersive enough, or has some other reason to hate it, then they don't have to use it, so where's the problem? Especially given that there are lots of people out there who simply despise first person, and were thus turned off the first two Thief games because of it.

Heh, I didn't know this because whenever I played Thief 1 and 2, it was in first person mode.

Thief 1 and 2 are first person only, so that would explain it ;).

NiGHTMARE said:

Regardless of that, if someone doesn't think the 3rd person mode is immersive enough, or has some other reason to hate it, then they don't have to use it, so where's the problem? Especially given that there are lots of people out there who simply despise first person, and were thus turned off the first two Thief games because of it.

Oh, I know, but not my point. Hence why I said an indicator. Seen the arrows pointing at loot? the big-assed console GUI? I have a feeling they've killed hundreds of small details that, in the end, added up to the inmersion and, why not, the vibe of the game.

I could be wrong, but I believe the arrows which point at stuff are only in the X-Box version. From what I've heard on the PC vesion loot lights up somewhat like it did in the originals, but from further away.

I'm not sure what you mean re: the GUI (maybe the X-Box version again?), because from the screens I've seen it takes up less space than in the originals - and you even seem able to turn it off if you want to.

Hope that's the case. Even the old ones suffered from GUI problems, it was minimalistic, but far too bright and attention seeking when you were wrapped in shadows.

Well I am kind of interested in thief 3 but hopefully its not gunna suck.