Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom Building Regimen

CodeImp has let us know that he has released version 1.60 of Doom Builder. Here are a few highlights of the changes:

• Completely new script editor with autocomplete and function descriptiontooltips as well as function help on F1.
  • DECORATE things in a WAD file are now added to the Things list.
  • Tagged sectors now also highlight for Hexen linedef effects whenhighlighting a linedef.
  • Textures between the TX_ lumps will also be loaded when choosing aZDoom/Skull Tag configuration.

- Mode to scroll the map by dragging it with the mouse. (Press M to toggle)

THANK YOU!!!! I'll try this the instance I get home!

Huzzah for Doom Builder. Ill download this version when I get home, for sure.

The new version seems to be a bit more user-friendly than the last one. Unfortunately, any support for the Doom64 TC is nil. Starting a new map for it results in an error. Anyway, for editing anything that isn't for the Doom64 TC, it's great.

What is your deal with this Doom64? Its just a mod, like any other map for jDoom that you can make with Doom Builder. You just need to know the right parameters for jDoom or the nodebuilder you're using.

CodeImp said:

Its just a mod, like any other map for jDoom that you can make with Doom Builder. You just need to know the right parameters for jDoom or the nodebuilder you're using.

I didn't look at it this way. I'll check it out and see if I can edit it directly as a JDoom map or simply fix the parameters. Nevertheless, thanks for the great support on your program. It's very good.

w00t!

DB is the l33t!

All the features I wished it had are now here!

YEAH!!

Time to start getting serious with mapping.

Xpect some Jehar-made lvls out sometime in the near future!

GO DOOMBuilder!

Job said:

The new version seems to be a bit more user-friendly than the last one. Unfortunately, any support for the Doom64 TC is nil. Starting a new map for it results in an error. Anyway, for editing anything that isn't for the Doom64 TC, it's great.

*repeats CodeImp's reply.

All you need is to have the main doom64 wad set as your 'texture' wad, and make a map as usual, I've posted the testing parameters various times both here and on aim, if that doesn't work, then DON'T USE the testing option, instead, just load the game manually while having your wad in the /auto directory.

All hail CodeImp, master of the script editor.

I just tried the new Doom Builder for a minute or two and opened up one of my big scripts with Syntax Highlighting. IT WORKED PERFECTLY! The old script editor would add void lines all over my script in syntax highlighting when the script got so big, but now it works perfectly! Truly astonding.

BTW: Is there anyway to get that script functions window from the older versions to appear off to the left again, or is CTRL+SPACE the only way to get it? I never usually use it, but I sometimes use it.

It still has a small issue with the copy and paste function. When you paste and overlap existing lines, the back sector number more than often doesn't change to what it should be. Maybe I am just not supposed to overlap lines.

But all in all, great work.

Aleaver said:

Yea Same here.. :( But ohwell I am quite stupid. so..

Just try again. I didn't manage to do anything with DoomBuilder at all the first (and second and third) time I tried it, still being too used to DEU, but nowadays, I'm actually comfortable with it. And it's certainly worth it, too! ^^

Possibly a stupid question here, but I don't really care. How do you create a line from an existing vertex? I can't seem to do it.

Schneelocke said:

Just try again. I didn't manage to do anything with DoomBuilder at all the first (and second and third) time I tried it, still being too used to DEU, but nowadays, I'm actually comfortable with it. And it's certainly worth it, too! ^^

Well After my 5th try or so, I am starting to get the hang of this..
So I guess u are right.

Oh, the new db looks nice! Great work CodeImp.

I have two tiny bug reports tho.

I have two monitors connected to my computer, and when i move around in the 3d mode the mouse cursor will appear on my other screen (if i move it in that direction), and when i click to change the texture of a wall, it'll click whatever program is under my mouse pointer. And that program will get input focus, and 3d-mode will be shut down. Very annoying, so i researched a little. And changing the line:

DIMouse.SetCooperativeLevel frm3D.hWnd, DISCL_NONEXCLUSIVE Or DISCL_BACKGROUND
to
DIMouse.SetCooperativeLevel frm3D.hWnd, DISCL_EXCLUSIVE Or DISCL_FOREGROUND
in the function InitMouse in modDirectX.bas fixes this. (it's the DISCL_EXCLUSIVE part that fixes it, but windows, for obvious reasons, wont let a program have both exclusive mouse access and access while in the background.)

Because i would get booted out of 3d-mode evertime the mouse cursor slipped over to the other screen and i clicked to change texture, i mapped some keyboard keys to change texture instead. I use X to change the texture i'm aiming at for example. But for some reason (i havn't investigated this at all) the X is sent to the texture viewer. So when the texture viewer comes up it'll have appended an X to the end of whatever texture name it was i aimed at.

Anyway, great editor CodeImp, please keep up the great work!
//Anders

(I'm sorry for the lousy english in this post, it's 4:15 am, and i only had 5 hours of sleep last night. I better go to bed soon.)

@CodeImp:
Nice idea for the next version, try to implement, roughly for now, some kind of room construction in 3D.
I would think of it this way:
Pressing C while pointing at a wall creates a new sector behind the wall and kills the texture on the old wall.
The new sector will have a width of 1 unit.
If you want it bigger you select the wall to edit, press and hold the left mouse button and then move around the wall with the coursor keys.
Something like that.

So Long, The Werelion!

PS: Keep up the good work!!!

Bastet Furry said:

3d mode stuff

I doubt this is easily possible, considering how nodes are used by the 3d mode - a map recompile would be required with every change.

I have a similar problem as Anders. I don't have a 2 monitor setup, however I use Hidden Menu http://home.i-cable.com/lokinwai/ for quickly launching all my editing programs and while I'm in 3d mode the cursor sometime slips down into the corner of my screen and activates Hidden Menu which then boots me out of 3d mode. heh. I don't know if you can do anything about that but I figured to mention anyways.

One problem I noticed is that the script editor seems very laggy when I'm typing stuff into it.