Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathbringer

"Crap" games that you actually liked

Semi-inspired by that "worst gaems evar!!" thread, what are games that are not famous and have gotten bad reviews, but which you have gotten your hands and and found them to be not that bad really?. Heres one that i volunteer:

Runabout 2: The sequel to the semi-popular Felony 11-79, you play as a mercenary delivery driver person who has to speed through various levels and pick up things, or drop them off or whatever driver-fashion (but more more linear, there are about 5 maps, but for each mission certian sections of them are closed). Its graphics arent paticularly amazing, even for psone standards (the people are non-animated 2D cutouts that 'bounce' along when walking), but the vehicles look alright, and you can generally tell what they are (The Ferrari dino and Honda NSX being paticularly good). But by far the best feature is the smashing up of stuff, on each mission you have a money counter, and you get cash for the more destruction you can cause, and just about everything can be smashed, from indivual cones, to vast stone pillars inside a pyramid, and entire trains!. Though oddly the money you collect cant actually be used for anything, like buying upgrades or repairs..though to get some secrets you have to get over a certian amount of money, while still finising the mission in a time limit (which leads fo frantic searching for the most expensive things to smash, such as buses and jeweller's shops), and in some other levels you have to complete it without getting any money at all, which requires very very careful driving. In all its a pretty fun game, if you can get past the graphics and the not-very-well-explained "storyline" (which starts out as you 'on the job' doing your normal line of work..if you can call that normal..then you get wrapped up in some conspiracy and have to save the world from being destroyed by..er..i dont know really, if you fail some missions theres a big explosion and new york gets flodded)

Hmmm...pretty much everyone I talk to online says Quake 2 is a POS, but personaly, its one of my favorite FPSes, right up there with Thief and Doom.

Planescape: Torment and Majesty are both relatively obscure games, but both really fun.

Also, theres Magic: The Gathering. Really shityy game, really shityy graphics, gameplay is even a little lacking. But it's a great time killer.

Temo's Deception, Fatal Frame and Splatterhouse (1,2,3). I guess even SNES Doom could fall into this category.

HeXen 2 - mostly because I love HeXen 1, but there are minor elements that I like as well.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2.
Lousy, repetitive gameplay, plenty of technical flaws and general nuisances that the development team should be flogged for not avoiding or eliminating, but the story line and concept is simply superb.

Then there's a game which is not really crap, just pretty underrated and it just happens to be within a game category that I usually don't play.
The game is called Bioforge - I love the theme and the story, but the primarily "Alone in the Dark"-esque puzzle gameplay with very little action doesn't really appeal to me (I beat the game largely backed up by a walkthrough). I still play the game once in a while for the story and because of the few melee battles.

Yes, Trolls and Quake 2! Trolls was just fun back in my Amiga days, and both Quake 2's singleplayer and multiplayer are just as good as any other Id title IMO.

...calls in the paramedics to take Silverwyvern to the nuthouse...

Hard to think of many, but here goes...

Blood 2 seemed to come in for a lot of criticism, but I really liked it. I thought it kept the spirit of the original, but transferred it to a modern/futuristic environment.

Minesweeper ought to be too simple and trivial to have much replay value, but I must have spent a great many hours at it (without ever becoming very good).

Hock a Loogie (one of the minigames in "Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity) was fun in a mindless way. I don't recall seeing specific criticism of it, but I can't imagine that too many other people would like it.

MDK2 - I liked its wacky sense of humour, and felt it was an appropriate sequel to MDK.

warzone 2100 - neat little 3d rts with a decent engine. customizable units...think alpha centauri with an assload more weapons...lots of body types/treads/wheels/vtol...however most of them will be tanks of some sort...and there are cyborgs too. the game end up being mass chaos with hundreds of tanks shooting everywhere...fun stuff.

Total Annihilation (+ xps + thousands of user made units) too because this game never seems to get the respect it deserves IMO.

Uh, the entire Sega Saturn library, mostly overlooked in any game related media at the time.

Job said:

Temo's Deception, Fatal Frame and Splatterhouse (1,2,3). I guess even SNES Doom could fall into this category.

How is Fatal Frame crap? Most reviews I've read of it say it's one of the best survival horror games ever made, and I'd have to agree with that. Better than even Silent Hill IMHO.

NiGHTMARE said:

How is Fatal Frame crap? Most reviews I've read of it say it's one of the best survival horror games ever made, and I'd have to agree with that. Better than even Silent Hill IMHO.

Oh, I definitely agree. But Fatal Frame was a sleeper hit. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played.

Red Alert Command & Conquer: Retaliation for the PSX. It was such a horrible game but I still play it.

It seems most everyone has come to not even bother with wrestling games any more, but I still like them.

Oh, and I place Oni on my top 10 best 3rd. person action games of all time. Everyone I know (except my friend that owns it) is either indifferent towards the game, never heard of it, or hates it because they played the bastardized PS2 version of it.

Job said:

Oh, I definitely agree. But Fatal Frame was a sleeper hit. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played.

A game which no-one's played isn't neccessarily crap, just under-rated. A crap game would be one which the majority of people who've played it think is bad, like Daikatana or C&C: Renegade.

ravage said:

why are you here.

He's here to make Action Doom, of course.

I see a lot of people ranting on the Final Fantasy games. With the exception of FFXI (I hate forced teamplay), I've enjoyed all the FF games. Also, Codename Eagle. Fire up a four-player deathmatch server and laugh yourself breathless over all the hilarious ways people can die. (I actually left the game unpatched on purpose so we could do things like get zeppelins stuck underground.)

Quake

A lot of people hate this game for various reasons, either because it's too brown, the soundtrack sucks, or it's just too boring to play longer than five minutes without lapsing into a coma. Personally, I think it's an awesome game, very atmospheric, and overall just mindless fun.

Quake? The game had universally excellent (90%+) reviews, sold millions of copies and was loved by far more people than hated it. Sorry, but it can in no way be considered 'a crap game which a few people like'; more like 'an awesome game which a few people despise'. Same goes for the Final Fantasies, only to a lesser extent.

Hexen 2 I always loved, the RPG elements of it were kinda different for an FPS at the time. Another game that IMO is one of the best RPGs I've ever played is Arcanum, but I hardly ever hear about it so I'm guessing it didn't really take off...