Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

SNES Doom mod

I know there's not a lot people who are fans of retrograding Doom, but I was wondering if there's a (if so, how?) way to port the style of the SNES Doom to the computer. Or perhaps make it so that the textures, music, sounds, sprites, etc bear a resemblance to the SNES version - heh, well except for the fps part. :P

Ew. Why would anyone make something that look worser than any other doom port?

Heh, I was waiting for that one. :P First, it's to see if it's possible, which I'm sure it is. Second, when I used to play it on the SNES, I always wanted to give it a try. Third, I enjoy the old school feeling of it.

Honestly, there was something oddly charming about SNES Doom. It should entirely be posible to recreate it. You'd just have to remove lots of animation frames and crappify the textures :P

I'm glad we see eye to eye on that one. Perhaps I can extract stuff from my cart, somehow, or the rom.

All you need to do is to delete certain maps in the iwad, delete all the flats and just use solid colors, delete all sprite frames except those that face you, remove the save and load game function, and change the music around, and you'll have something resembling SNES Doom.

What I want is a real port without the framerate problems. I found some programs that will allow me to extract the contents of the game, such as the sounds and graphics. So I'll post anything as I find it out.

I know that. However, there is no mouse support. You fail to understand my intent here. I want to port everything from the SNES Doom to the PC except for the framerates and lack of certain levels. The idea is that you can play and deathmatch (which you could do on the SNES anyway), as well as make levels, for an old school type of Doom.

I was making one, believe or not. I made many sprites so it looks like their always sidescrolling. The files long gone now, pity.

God damn, are you people dislexic or something? The SNES music is exactly the same as the PC, except the SNES uses a different MIDI engine.

I think that the DOOM64 Tc and Console DOOM are all what we need of the console versions of DOOM.

I don't even think the SNES would understand a MIDI. All that music is is a recorded form of the music on someone's PC.

Guys, Job's idea is a good one. The SNES DOOM was the very first DOOM I ever played, and I still think it has some charm to it.

Job, good'o on you, and I hope it works out. I'd like to see a SNES DOOM TC.

Darkhaven4 said:

God damn, are you people dislexic or something?

roofles

I made an "everything 1-sided sprite" wad, but it got deleted when I switched OSs.

I also edited the sounds around to match SNES Doom.

If you can provide any help, I'd appreciate it. The real challenge lies in getting the SNES Doom graphics, though.

There's no *SNES* Doom graphics. It's all PC graphics, except for the Plasmagun and Shotgun which are resized to fit the screen, or some dumb shit like that. But if you want, I can use ZSNES to rip alot of things such as floor and ceiling colors, the resized weapons, etc.

Also, you can use the SNES Doom MP3's from Elby's site, if you're going that way.

Darkhaven4 said:

There's no *SNES* Doom graphics. It's all PC graphics, except for the Plasmagun and Shotgun which are resized to fit the screen, or some dumb shit like that. But if you want, I can use ZSNES to rip alot of things such as floor and ceiling colors, the resized weapons, etc.

Also, you can use the SNES Doom MP3's from Elby's site, if you're going that way.

Heh, yeah, if you could get me some graphics, please PM me, I'm having trouble. As for the sounds, those are done - and the songs, I've got those already too, in .spc format.

Also, you could add a Cyberdemon melee attack (it actually had one in SNES Doom). You would just give it it's firing frames and make the tearing noise.

Oh yeah, it's going to require some alteration. For what you just said as well as stuff like the rocket launcher doing things like dropping cacos in one hit and plasma shots doing one shotgun's worth of damage. Also, as anyone who played the SNES Doom might know, it has a peculiar lighting system. Is there a way to emulate that also (things like brighter sectors do not brighten the weapon, strange shading, etc)?

Agreed; I've tackled some of the more difficult things, such as a brighter colormap, and a *slightly* altered playpal lump, and I've cap'ed alot of floormaps (colors used on floors).

Wouldn't the quality of the sound need to be changed? Also most of the monster's awakening sounds and wandering sounds are the same.

I don't think the sound quality has to be changed if we use the ripped waves from the rom. However, the detail level may have to be automatically lowered - and the lighting system is still a mystery to me. By the way, good job Darkhaven, can't wait to see what you've got.

I was hoping this thread was going to be about hacking the SNES Doom ROM to put in new levels and graphics :(

Actually, that could be done maybe. Heh - I'd have to ask how to do it exactly, as I'm not sure. I'll check at my usual emulation forums.

By the way, I figured out a little trick. It's cheap, but I'd suppose it would do.

If you set the light level in a certain bright sector so that the weapon's "bright" parts would be the same light level as the surrounding sector, that problem would be solved right there.

SNES E1M1 in development, btw... the maps may need to be remade, for retexturing and floormaps compatibility issues.

Certain bits of the wadworks have been completed as well.
For instance, like I said, I got a tuned colormap+playpal, just a touch of DEHACKING has been done (to make the fists faster like its SNES counterpart, the pistol to only go PISGA0-PISGB0(FA0)-PISGC0-PISGA0 and fire slightly slower) and the shotgun and Plasmagun have been cap'ed, but they're either way too small or way too big when they are resized.

I sound like I'm trying to override Job and take over this project, huh?

I'm glad to hear you've made so much progress. Please drop me an instant message if you're around or send me an email or PM. Anyway, this sounds great - if you wish, you're more than welcome to join me on this project officially, since you've shown so much initiative. Maybe I can learn some of how you're doing things and carry my own weight. :P I've been experimenting with some solid texture flats, but I think the color grade is too high. Though if you run the PC Doom at 320x240 in software mode with the bells and whistles turned off, it looks somewhat similar.