Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

New Hollenshead Interview

Those xbox models look like shit (compared to the pc version). Maybe they'll have those models (as lowres model mode) for us people who have crappy computers.

DooMBoy said:

I wonder what Doom3 Hell will look like...

I've contemplated this as well. It had better be nothing short of walking through the most horrible nightmare we have ever dreamed or conceived.

Century said:

I've contemplated this as well. It had better be nothing short of walking through the most horrible nightmare we have ever dreamed or conceived.

Not possible. You just described fiffy.

Well I seen a screenshot of hell in PC gamer. Don't know if it were real, but I did see flesh on the walls, bones as well. Some zombies and a Pinky eating. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. 'Cause it could have been a fake on a very honest magazine.

I gotta comment on this - this is the sort of thing I love to discuss, he he.

1. Sarge seems to be a stable in this game. Personally, I love that, but I'd like to send a friendly thought to those unfortunates who don't like this aspect. I like it because I feel it will add to the movie-like feel of the game, instead of just having a voiceless hero who on the rare occasion meets an NPC who talks to him; now we have a voiceless hero, who gets briefings.
I still hope Sarge will be scared too though. Have his temper grow and show visible signs of panic on his face as he tells you stuff like "Failure is not an option on this one Marine - if these...these things get there, we're all dead! DEAD, ya hear me!?".

2. Like the story deal overall. The thing about NPCs not always being what they seem is nice and I hope it's carried out correctly. Course, I already knew this aspect would be in the game, but it's nice to read about it again :-)

3. AI. Well, Id admits that the monster behaviour will be largely scripted, but I like the examples given. I'm very pleased that the Z-Sec guys (possessed soldiers) are "smarter" than regular zombs. From what Hollenshead gave away, they seem to act much more like actual soldiers (but possibly not to the extent of Half Life or Far Cry, thankfully). It also seems that we'll encounter machinegun-soldiers (but I saw that in the new trailer anyway).

4. Still no mention of the Double-barelled shotgun. As much as I hate to admit it, it seems many a fan's fears about Doom 3 not having a db shotty is going to be justified.
Personally, I can live without it as it'd be difficult to make it fit in the game world (unless they rewamp it in a way that most doomers won't be happy about) and because I like the sb shotgun better, but I expect a lot of people to start whining once the game is out.
Then again, there was no mention of the chainsaw either and we know that it will be in.

5. Well, the demon corpses will evaporate as recent articles stated, but notice that Hollenshead only mentions this when he talks about the demons (as opposed to zombies and zombified guards), leaving me to stand firm on my guess that zombie corpses will remain. Hopefully, the Archvile will be able to resurrect possessed soldiers as well as "repair" ultimately killed zombies aside from summoning demons. I relly hope it possesses some kind of resurrecting powers as the new engine would allow for some really awesome resurrection effects.

This is a really nice article. Very enjoyable and interesting imo.

dsm said:

I gotta comment on this - this is the sort of thing I love to discuss, he he.

4. Still no mention of the Double-barelled shotgun. As much as I hate to admit it, it seems many a fan's fears about Doom 3 not having a db shotty is going to be justified.
Personally, I can live without it as it'd be difficult to make it fit in the game world (unless they rewamp it in a way that most doomers won't be happy about) and because I like the sb shotgun better, but I expect a lot of people to start whining once the game is out.

If you look trailer cautiously, you'd probably find shotgun as well as machine-gun have two different shoot mode. I think ID trying to combine SB shotgun and DB shotgun in the original Doom into one single weapon. In trailer it seems like two different shoot mode have it's own unique sound and fire rate. just my thought.

What a load of crap his explanation for why there's no Co-Op for PC, was. Who the hell will, first of all, spoil the experience by going Co-Op the very first time, second, why not fucking have the option being available only after you've beaten the single player part?

Edit, they could be waiting with the SSG till Doom 4?...

I'd love to see it in Doom3 myself as well though...

cloud4me said:

If you look trailer cautiously, you'd probably find shotgun as well as machine-gun have two different shoot mode.

Where? I see no alternate fire modes for either weapon. The shotgun, I might believe has an alt-fire mode because it makes two different sounds in that trailer (but it doesn't make sense that the reload sound has two different sounds - seems more probable that different sounds were sampled in for artistic reasons however odd that may seem), but there was only one sounds and one effect attached to the machinegun.

In any event, combining the db shotgun and sb shotgun in one gun is really lame. The cool factor of the original db shotgun far surpasses a regular shotgun with the ability to fire off two shells at once.

Edit, they could be waiting with the SSG till Doom 4?...

According to Id there will be no Doom 4, but maybe they'll save it for a mission pack or something.

I heared more powerful and deeper sound from super shot(when doomguy shoot pinkydemon 1:45) and it also has diffrent reload animation comparing to normal shot(1:47) that has exactly same sound and reload animation we saw in the last E3 trailer.

cloud4me said:

I heared more powerful and deeper sound from super shot(when doomguy shoot pinkydemon 1:45) and it also has diffrent reload animation comparing to normal shot(1:47) that has exactly same sound and reload animation we saw in the last E3 trailer.

Whether it is in fact a different reload animation is hard to tell - it could just have been a decrease in framerate or other effects (turning the player view).

You could of course be right, but there are reasons I doubt the possibility of the shotgun having two firing modes (you still haven't explained the machinegun's alledged two firing modes for me):

1. When the player shoots at the pinky, not only does the pinky survive (could of course be bad aim, but I doubt it), but only one shell is ejected.

2. The reload sound makes absolutely no sense. How would firing off two shells have any effect on what the reload sound sounds like when the reload action is in fact the same (the player still pumps the same slide)? It sounds like the reload sound comes from a totally different weapon, which leads me to believe that there might actually be a double barreled shotgun in the game - it just won't be revealed until the game itself ships.

3. All screenshots I've seen of an exterior view of the shotgun suggest that the shotgun has only one barrel (the "barrel" below is only the slide - it has a cap at the end and it is narrower than the actual barrel). How can it let off two shells from the same barrel?
Either the shotgun is illogical (nowadays, you can't fire two simultaneous rounds from *one* barrel without causing a fatal explosion) or super-duper futuristic, or it simply doesn't have two firing modes, despite what the makers of this trailer would lead you to believe.

Trailers are often tailor-made to give players false (but postive) impressions of a game. I've many a time seen trailers that suggest a shitload, but when the final game is released, it turns out only half of it holds true for the game.
The guys who made this trailer could've been looking at all those fans of alt-fire modes, which could've made them think it would be a smart marketing strategy to make people think the game has weapons with more than one firing modes. Why not?

Carmack has consistantly said that he didn't want Doom 3 to be too complex. He fought to remove crouching (and lost, thankfully) so I doubt there will be any alt-fire functions for any of the weapons. (plus no id game has ever had them, and for the record none of the weapons had alt-fire in the leak, but that was nearly a year ago)

I think Hollenshead stated there would be no Alt-fire at some point, but don't take my word for it!

I can't see there being an alt-fire mode as it doesn't offer much to the game .

It works in other games (far cry, half life 2) by giving the option of a zoom but DOOM3 is about close range battles.

In addition, I've noticed a few sound inconsistencies.

There are more than one occasion where the regular shotgun blast sound plays to be followed up by the "heavy" reload sound, or vice versa. This further strenghtens my theory that some of the sounds were sampled in, rather than actually playing from the game itself.

But it is interesing that the "heavy" blast sound would fit a double barreled shotgun perfectly. Also, if the "heavy" reload sound comes from an actual weapon in the game, it might suggest that if the db shotgun is indeed in Doom 3, it might be a pump-action shotgun too like the Quake 2 one.

Damn, this woulda fit better in the trailer thread.

Like I pointed out a few posts above, the chainsaw wasn't mentioned by Todd, but we know it's in (unless they somehow decided to ditch it altogether which I cannot imagine that they would since it would mean ditching the chainsaw zombie among other potentially awesome gameplay elements). Similarly, the db shotgun could be in the game (I hope so - if just to avoid seeing lots of fans whine about its absence), but Id might want to surprise us and catch us off guard.

English is not my natural languag so I couldn't explain it properly :(

look closely trailer especially shotgun scene..you'd notice there are some differences about height and angle of muzzle after shoot, not to mention of sound.

of course I could be wrong :))

I'm just happy that its coming out this summer.

If DOOM 3 doesn't have everything you want, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity for modders to add things like the Double Barral shotgun and demons who don't evaporate. Hell, I think one of the first mods should be a fix to include these things.

And I have no doubt that somebody will throw in co-op. It'll happen probablky within the first 3 months of the game's release. I'm not too worried about it.