Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

So I played XBox Doom 3

1) Anything new or interesting you saw?
2) I think you said you haven't played the alpha (you gay ass), but do you know if they kept any of the old environments from the leak?
3) Any new monsters shown?
4) What guns were available?
5) From the screenshots the xbox version looks like an N64 game, but how does it look in motion? What do you suppose was the average fps?
6) Just how much did the controls suck?

What shade of grey was the twenty-seventh from the top and thirty-ninth from the left pixel on the texture on the second wall segment to the left in the third room?

Linguica said:

Anyone have any questions about it?

Bull freaking Shit. Prove it. Answer there questions.

Fredrik said:

What shade of grey was the twenty-seventh pixel from the top and thirty-ninth from the left on the texture on the second wall segment to the left in the third room?

... except for that one.

Holering said:

Bull freaking Shit.

You mean he'd go to E3 and then not play Doom 3?

How complex and graphic is the vaporation of the enemies after they die?

Did monsters like the Revenant have a lot of HP-- Are all the demons' health distincly different like in the original Dooms?

What does the ambience consist of?

Any music?

Does the shotgun actually blow the flesh off the bones of some of the enemies?

When you shoot the Demon in its mechanical legs, does it go 'cling!' and spark?

If you fought any Lost Souls, how do these ones behave?

DaJuice said:

1) Anything new or interesting you saw?
2) I think you said you haven't played the alpha (you gay ass), but do you know if they kept any of the old environments from the leak?
3) Any new monsters shown?
4) What guns were available?
5) From the screenshots the xbox version looks like an N64 game, but how does it look in motion? What do you suppose was the average fps?
6) Just how much did the controls suck?

1) It was one of the levels from the E3 demo / leaked alpha, E3_3 I think? But it was much more fleshed out and had additional areas and terminals you had to activate to open doors along the way, etc.

2) Did I ever say that? Anyways, see 1.

3) Soon before I died and stopped playing I saw a new monster which was basically a 2-headed, 4-legged gray thing. Called "maggots" or something? Anyways, they seemed pretty boring in terms of design, plus they were annoying as hell to try and hit.

4) Fists, pistol, shotgun, machinegun, chaingun, grenades. Those are all I saw anyway.

5) It looks pretty good, I imagine the PC version will look better but it was still nothing to sneeze at. Yeah the textures looked a little low rez at times but overall the art is quite nice. Seemed to be a fairly steady 30 FPS, I didn't notice any slowdown really.

6) As far as playing a FPS on a console, they were fine. But it didn't have inverted look, so I kept looking up when i wanted to look down etc, extremely frustrating.

Coopersville said:

1) How complex and graphic is the vaporation of the enemies after they die?

2) Did monsters like the Revenant have a lot of HP-- Are all the demons' health distincly different like in the original Dooms?

3) What does the ambience consist of?

4) Any music?

5) Does the shotgun actually blow the flesh off the bones of some of the enemies?

6) When you shoot the Demon in its mechanical legs, does it go 'cling!' and spark?

7) If you fought any Lost Souls, how do these ones behave?

1) OK let's see. The zombies at least gib VERY easily. A good shotgun blast wil gib one, plus if you have a machinegun and keep shooting it after it dies, it gibs. The gibbing is almost like the flesh evaporates, some organs fly out, and the skeleton is left. Kind of weird and not very convincing in terms of "I just blew this guy apart." It reminded me more of Blade / Buffy where killing vampires activates some sort of self-destruct mechanism. I mean the gibbing is neat looking, but it doesn't seem "realistic" I guess. The imps, when they die, immediately disentegrate in a burning-up sort of way, namely it starts at one and and the dead imp vaporizes with the edge turning yellow as if it was burning up quickly.

2) I mostly only saw zombies and imps. The zombies are a real pain in the ass if you only have a pistol, it probably takes 8-10 body shots to kill one. Oh and zombies did not get back up, or I didn't notice.

3) The ambience is stuff like flickering lights, steam vents, etc etc. The part I played didn't seem to have much in terms of "scripted" ambience. Although once or twice the lights went out before an ambush, or emergency lights came on making everything bright red.

4) No music that I could tell. On that note the voice acting from the dude giving me my "instructions" didn't really seem right, like the actor wasn't right for the part or something, hard to explain.

5) Yes, definitely, almost too much so in fact. Unless you mean if it can dismember or mutilate enemies that are still alive? No.

6) Didn't see one.

7) Didn't see one.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Was it fun?

It was OK, the overall impression I got was that id was making a standard FPS but trying to highly polish it. It's very linear, you go around finding "computer terminals" to open the next door, basically like hitting switches in Doom. Honestly I hope that the level they showed just happened to be one plain-vanilla one and the rest are more intriguing, because that sort of thing is getting kind of boring nowadays.

I think i can speak for a lot of people when i say "uh-oh"

I think it's a bit premature to say Uh-oh at this point. Remember now, this game's been in development for 4 years by some of the best in the buisness. I'm sure they're saving all the surprises for the real game, you know?

gatewatcher said:

I think it's a bit premature to say Uh-oh at this point. Remember now, this game's been in development for 4 years by some of the best in the buisness. I'm sure they're saving all the surprises for the real game, you know?

Umm dnf.

AndrewB said:

Umm dnf.

That's easy, they're not any of the best in the business. :P

6) When you shoot the Demon in its mechanical legs, does it go 'cling!' and spark?

It shouldn't. Bullets are made of lead and don't make sparks. But a 'cling!' sound would be nice.

Sounds a little disappointing. Though the Xbox version might actually differ quite a lot from the PC version. Ling, did you notice any other reactions to the game? What did other people say?

Disorder said:

Sounds a little disappointing. Though the Xbox version might actually differ quite a lot from the PC version. Ling, did you notice any other reactions to the game? What did other people say?

People were crowded around watching, they laughed when enemies gibbed, that was about it.

Hm, sounds like Doom 3 blows :-(

dsm said:

Hm, sounds like Doom 3 blows :-(

Doesn't take a lot to change your mind, now does it? :P

1. How would you rate gameplay from 1 to 10?
2. How scary was it?
3. How does the save system work?
4. How much damage can you take?
5. How doom is it?

Is there a lefthanded-weapon view in the options menu, like in Q2?
I mailed fred nilsson and he replied they would try to implement it.

Edit: Just another question: What does the status bar look like? Any resemblances to Doom? (Is there an old-school-head looking left and right?)

Shaviro said:

Doesn't take a lot to change your mind, now does it? :P

I can't believe you thought I was serious ;-)
Nah, I'd believe they presented a map of the game which is either incomplete (in the xbox version) or a map with few of the really cool features.
I don't like that the zombies gib that easily though - I really hope that it's only on the Xbox and because of performance issues.

Anyways, on to my dumb questions:

On that note the voice acting from the dude giving me my "instructions" didn't really seem right, like the actor wasn't right for the part or something, hard to explain.

Just curious, how do these instructions ...uhh.. work? Is it like Quake 2's field computer which makes a beep whenever you get a new incoming set of instructions and then you call up some device with a screen on it?
Do you see the guy's face as he instructs you or what?

2. Did you find any weapon pickups or are you equipped with all those guns from the start? If you did find weapon pickups, do these guns float in the typical rotating "Quake style"?

3. Any comments on sounds? Did you like the sounds (ambient sounds, monster sounds and weapon sounds)?

4. Are imps straightforward in their behavior (like, they just leap right at you without concern for their safety) or did they somehow seem "smart" in any ways? And a sub-question: were there situations in which they would descend from ceilings/walls to attack you?

3) Soon before I died and stopped playing I saw a new monster which was basically a 2-headed, 4-legged gray thing. Called "maggots" or something? Anyways, they seemed pretty boring in terms of design, plus they were annoying as hell to try and hit.

Sounds boring - anyway, what exactly did these nuisances do in terms of attack? Do they just leap at you and bite/slash you? How about the shape of their bodies? Did they have eyes? If yes, which colour/how did they look like?
Btw, weird name for a two-headed monster - and I never really expected much from this type of creature, because other descriptions I've read about it gave me the impression of it being pretty boring (we already have the new imp - we don't need another Fiend imitation!).

Edit:

6. Do enemies flinch/react when hit? I noticed in a certain illegal video that zombies seemed to flinch satisfyingly when hit by pistol shots (but they don't stop) - do they still do that?

I haven't been at E3, but I think that there's a HUGE difference in playing the game at E3, as apposed to playing it home alone, with the lights turned off.

the game looks like its going to a more fps resident evil style than a doom style, i'll still play the game and love it thoguh.

The imps, are they hard to hit? How much hp did they have?
How many ammo can you carry with each weapon?
What about the shotgun, does it suck?
Does the begining look like an hangar?

How hard is it to target and hit enemies on the xbox version ? People playing the game with a keyboard/mouse setup have complained about how the per-poly hit detection makes monsters way harder to hit, so I can imagine using an xbox controller is even harder.