Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slave of SaTaN.

what makes doom so good?

what makes doom so good i dont know i love it but there are games like call of duty nice graphics but i still keep coming back to doom i cant explain why i like doom so much its not the graphics or the a.i. but all my friends hate this game they say that it looks like crap plays like crap and somtimes i get mad when they say that

do you guys know why is so f*ck*ing damm good

maybe its the story hmmm.

dammit.... i dont want to post this here.... i HATE my proxy.... make weird stuff... Sorry.

That was discussed before.

All i said: I like DooM because the shotgun. And the way Imps die.

Monster infighting
Lack of BS - you're straight into the action
Lots of interesting quirks
Nightmare!
Editability

...but definitely not the crappy "story"

yeah a good story is where it all begins with ive seen so many other games with a stupid story that is not a good start to begin with.

if you have a good story then the rest will follow i have read that they would make movie of doom is that true?

i would like that very much.

what is so crappy about that story i like it its the same story they use fo doom3 seen the trailer yet

in that trailer they also do experiments that go wrong and hell takes over and you have to go in alone

same thing if you make a movie only action wont cut it you to have a good story to make the movie more sinister

the slave has spoken.

DooM story is great, inmo.

After all, the GREAT-SUPER Half-life history was the same.

Ah... the difference, you can "talk" in HL. Not in DooM.

Probably because it was the most common FPS that people, who started playing in the early '90s, started out with. That and DOOM is just cool, I mean come on, stranded on a mars-lunar-earth base with nothing but Demons and monsters to keep you company? Not to mention the action factor. It's a game that challenges your mind with mazes and puzzles while still keeping you entertained with the constant shooting, guns, explosions, and of course, the demons. You never know what's hiding behind the next door....it could be a zombie, could be a pinky demon, heck, it could be a CyberDemon. You just never know. So lets review

1. Puzzles & Mazes
2. Constant action & violence
3. New guns & monsters as you progress
4. Lot of levels and difficulties
5. TONs of secrets and hidden items
6. Tough monsters that keep you trying
7. It's the first game that had more than one story in a building
8. Cool setting (Mars base, then lunar, then earth, then Hell)
9. Great graphics (for the time) Not 8bit but good enough to tolerate for modern day
10. The very uncommon element of suprise. Opening doors in DOOM is lke a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get. Then you kill it..

These are the top 10 reasons why I think DOOM is so popular (even today).
Oh, and not to mention there are lots of games for both PC AND Console. (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, TCs, etc..) And to this day people are changing it to make it better. So it's not like it's the same thing as it was 12 years ago.

Well Doom had the original "run in and blow shit up and save earth" story, so there were a lot of copycat games, that if doom didn't come along, they'd have stolen that light as being the original, and it might have sucked, unlike Doom.

It's simple arcade concept and gameplay. Fighting against dozens of monsters at the same time, some of them even fighting each other. The thousands of wads. The Super Shotgun.

- The graphics looked amazing back then, and still look good to this day (and no, not because of JDoom)

- The gameplay. If I can still have fun playing through the original Doom levels after 10 years of playing the game, then it has to be maybe just a little fun.

- For whatever reason, Doom is just the best to make custom levels for. No, not because it's easy. In some ways it's harder to map for than games like Quake 3, because it's not True 3D, and has limits. It's just more fun to map for than any other game I've mapped for in the past and present.

-Everthing else about it. Doom is a great game.

Simplicity and elegance of design.
Tight, addictive and exciting gameplay.
It mixes some good scenic and conceptual influences.
A combination of sublime nihilism and hedonistic dark wit.
Its potential for productivity (even with little change.)
That it's for the creative but still truly a game.
Because it breeds competition and excellence.

Also another thing-what other game makes you physically duck in your seat to avoid on-screen fireballs?, when youre playing UT or Half life youre just playing another game, In doom, despite its unrealistic graphics, you are actually there, youre not playing the game, the game is playing you (insert other cheesy early 90's movie quotes here), when you come across one of those big black flamethrower monsters in half life you run away looking for the switch to pull that kills it, when you come across a cyberdemon in doom (in a well-made level), the adraneline starts pumping and you break out in a sweat as you get ready for the battle of your life..if the demon somehow suprises you and manages to sneak up and ambush you (as one did to me once), you literally jump out of your seat!

WELL JDOOM HELPS ALOT ITS LIKE YOU PLAY A BRAND NEW GAME

I LOVE THOSE TORCHES,BLOOD THAT SPLATTERS ON WALLS REALLY COOL

THOSE GUYS WHO MADE THAT PROGRAM ARE MY HERO'S

WOOHOO I LOVE JD00M.

Slave of SaTaN. said:

WELL JDOOM HELPS ALOT ITS LIKE YOU PLAY A BRAND NEW GAME

I LOVE THOSE TORCHES,BLOOD THAT SPLATTERS ON WALLS REALLY COOL

THOSE GUYS WHO MADE THAT PROGRAM ARE MY HERO'S

WOOHOO I LOVE JD00M.

I hope to God you're kidding.

The gameplay is fast, primal, and exciting, and the hellish atmosphere appeals to so many fans of that type of culture, as well as the rest of us who just want to kick some ass. I could say the engine was astounding for the time (because it was), but the design is really what has made it age so well.

and yeah maybe it's just me but i think mr. slave might be being just a little sarcastic (only a little though!!1).

and the hellish atmosphere appeals to so many fans of that type of culture

Eh? satanists?? I AM A MORON I AM A MORON

simply put, perfect balance, both in sp and dm. no other game has come close to the rhythmic, intuitive feel that doom's controls and weapons produce. it doesn't feel like playing any other game - it's almost like you play doom with your subconscious mind...