Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Beat Doom 3

How long do you think it will take you to beat DOOM 3 competely? I know, they haven't said how long the game is, but just guessing, how long. 6 hours? 12 hours? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months? a year? << Examples.

PumpkinSmasher said:

i believe they said 18-20 hours, but thats probably without exploring the environment.

No way, I don't believe they ever said 18-20 hours, especialy without exploring.

gatewatcher said:

No way, I don't believe they ever said 18-20 hours, especialy without exploring.

I thought I read that too. It may have been an estimation by a game site like ign.com or something.

Darkman 4 said:

I think that they said it could take an experienced FPSer a weekend to complete.

Yeah that's what I heard

Remember how quickly the original games can be beat. I think there's a demo of Doom2 done in 14 minutes.

Use3D said:

Remember how quickly the original games can be beat. I think there's a demo of Doom2 done in 14 minutes.

But not the first time you play it.

Ya, I have a feeling that this DOOM will be a lot more than the original DOOM was....it will probably be easier to get lost considering the whole map isn't just on 1 floor and the maps will most likely be bigger. But still, will DOOM 3 come in episodes? Will it just be 1 big game? Will there be downloads & expansion packs to MAKE it longer?

Todd H said in the Gamespy's Livewire interview that the game will last 30-40 hours. Quite a long one, IMO.

S1lent said:

Ya, I have a feeling that this DOOM will be a lot more than the original DOOM was....it will probably be easier to get lost considering the whole map isn't just on 1 floor and the maps will most likely be bigger.

Oh, I'm sure that ID can find a way to make the levels incredibly straight-forward and linear.

Click on that Quote link waaaaaaaay off on the far right of the post of whoever you want to quote.

Use3D said:

14:41, but that's TAS, and with an altered exe to give S50 even when turning. 26:09 is the quickest standard Doom2 UV Speed movie run.

AFAIK, the quickest run through Quake is 12:23 (qdqwav - that's with each map recorded separately and them then joined together), and for Quake 2 it is 21:06 (q2dq2, also with joining).

Zoorado said:

Todd H said in the Gamespy's Livewire interview that the game will last 30-40 hours. Quite a long one, IMO.

I hope so, but 30-40 hours looks a bit marketing wise comments.

Grazza said:
AFAIK, the quickest run through Quake is 12:23 (qdqwav - that's with each map recorded separately and them then joined together), and for Quake 2 it is 21:06 (q2dq2, also with joining).

As for Quake, the Easy and Nightmare runs through the four episodes at the SDA are 14:02 and 23:53 respectively. So Quake done Quick would be the equivalent of DOOM II done Quick.

AndrewB said:

Oh, I'm sure that ID can find a way to make the levels incredibly straight-forward and linear.

They are not Legend Entertainment and the game is not Unreal2. id´s leveldesign has never been simplistic and straight-forward.

S1lent said:

it will probably be easier to get lost considering the whole map isn't just on 1 floor and the maps will most likely be bigger. But still, will DOOM 3 come in episodes? Will it just be 1 big game?

Doom3 won´t be subdivided into levels ore episodes, it´s one continous super level like in Halflife.

If the levels are complex like in the previous id games, with lots of nooks and crannies and secrets to explore, it will last longer for the gamer who is willing to explore and who makes use of the environment features while fighting.

AndrewB said:

This is a doom fan site, if you dont like doom, get outta here.

Grazza said:

14:41, but that's TAS, and with an altered exe to give S50 even when turning.

It should be noted that having S50 while turning does not really make demos faster, it only makes them prettier to look at. Instantaneous turns (as used in most built demos) are as fast and could be used instead, but they're less enjoyable.

Intel17 said:

This is a doom fan site, if you dont like doom, get outta here.

He's entitled to his opinion about Doom 3. And he does like Doom. So quit it.

Fredrik said:

It should be noted that having S50 while turning does not really make demos faster, it only makes them prettier to look at. Instantaneous turns (as used in most built demos) are as fast and could be used instead, but they're less enjoyable.

In a TAS run, it makes possible things you couldn't realistically do otherwise - in practice the difference is quite large.

Even in a built demo with all turns instantaneous, if you stick only to legal gametics (i.e. drop to S40 for all turning tics) you will be slightly slower than if you allow S50 while turning. True, the difference may not be large, but there will be a difference. It's also possible to conceive of trick jumps that are only possible with S50 during turns (e.g. my Icarus Map25 jump with a bigger gap and a smaller/more awkward landing area).

Simply put, S50 during turns gives you extra possibilities, and it stands to reason that these can be used to bring times down.

This is all much too technical to be strictly relevant to a general discussion of how long Doom/Doom2 took to play, of course. :)

Grazza said:

Even in a built demo with all turns instantaneous, if you stick only to legal gametics (i.e. drop to S40 for all turning tics) you will be slightly slower than if you allow S50 while turning.

However, the curved turn might (usually does?) require a longer path and these differences ought to cancel each other out. Besides, slowing down that little for just a single tic might not affect speed at all since you'd still have momentum (I'm not sure how Doom's physics work in this regard though).