Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

Fileplanet subscription - justifiable purchase?

Seems they get a lot of files before anyone else does, or atleast a reliable fast link for the files. Do any of you guys think it's worth getting? I just get tired of lines or searching for alternate links that don't work right.

Fileplanet is useful to find out what the filename is so you can Google it.

And that service is free!

Well, on one hand, it's a lot easier to just pay and download with ease. On the other, it's not usually too hard to find the desired files elsewhere. I guess it depends on how comfortable you want to be. I personally would not fork my cash over to them.

Numbermind said:

Fileplanet is useful to find out what the filename is so you can Google it.

And that service is free!

Yea I guess people use filemirrors.com

Dude, just get a free account...suffer through the wait...it's not a big deal. I'd suggest stuff from other places. There's another downloading website, I can't remember what their homepage is but I know they have a Doom 3 section. I think its <http://www.d3files.com/> << If you want to see if that have other games to download for, go to the top left corner and there should be a drop-down menu. Hope this helps. Either that or just do a Google search for the file you want to download.

The real question is this: If you won $10 million in the lottery, would you subscribe to Fileplanet?

I don't mind waiting in line for a file to download, and the transfer speeds are usually quite fast (40 - 80 KBps). Buy it if you have money lying around and don't know what to do with it.

AndrewB said:

The real question is this: If you won $10 million in the lottery, would you subscribe to Fileplanet?

If I'd win $10 million, I'd buy FilePlanet, nuke the files off their servers and use the computers to play games and watch videos.

Keep in mind that half the files on FilePlanet are now there because GameSpy bought up previously independent game sites and then later forced them to move all their files onto FilePlanet (this includes all the sites on classicgaming.com). Now they want you to pay to get even slightly reasonable service (wait 2 hours to download a 32kb file? That's retarded). I will always hate GameSpy and nothing anyone says will phase me in that regard.

I had a paid account with fileshack a few months ago (they had a special offer for $2 for a month, it's normally like $5 or $10 per month, I forget... prolly $10) and I quite enjoyed it. My dl rate was uncapped (I consistantly pulled down 500k/s or more from the NYC server) and there was no waiting. I pretty much downloaded a lot of game demos and movies just because I could, it was pretty damn cool.

I would recommend if you want to pay for a service you should go through FS since the guys there are actual gamers and downright nice guys, rather than the faceless whatever that runs GS, which I'm not overly fond of. FS of course offers free dls, but you're limited to 100k/s and there's a queue (bandwidth ain't free, natch).

Oh yeah, aside from the stuff I mentioned, when you sign up for a FS acount you get free email and shackspace and shackftp where you can store images or have a webpage or whatever. Pretty cool. Plus you get a little lightning bolt next to your name when you make posts on shacknews which isn't really useful, but I guess it's better than nothing.

The only problem is when you want to discontinue your plan, apparently they just renew your subscription without asking you first and auto bill you. I got out of it by yelling at a Speakeasy guy in an email, but still if I had the extra cash I'd prolly sign up for it again.

(god I sound like a goddamn advertisement... where's my goddamn free stuff?!)

edit: BTW quas, I've dled a lot of stuff off FP with zero or very little wait time, so it's not like it's always filled to the brim. There have been times when I've had to wait a long time but that's only when something popular and large is released. Last night I dled a bunch of crap with no waiting at all.

Cyb said:

I had a paid account with fileshack a few months ago (they had a special offer for $2 for a month, it's normally like $5 or $10 per month, I forget... prolly $10) and I quite enjoyed it. My dl rate was uncapped (I consistantly pulled down 500k/s or more from the NYC server) and there was no waiting. I pretty much downloaded a lot of game demos and movies just because I could, it was pretty damn cool.

Hoorj for fileshack. Other than maybe not having a couple things first (because FP had them, and probably had "rights" to them before anyone else) I love it. I have a mercury download account with them that came with my speakeasy sdsl, and use it all time (bless them for having a chicago server). Even before though, I used them a lot. And they still have a download system that doesn't fuck up sometimes in firefox.

Cyb also said:

edit: BTW quas, I've dled a lot of stuff off FP with zero or very little wait time, so it's not like it's always filled to the brim. There have been times when I've had to wait a long time but that's only when something popular and large is released. Last night I dled a bunch of crap with no waiting at all.

This has also been my experience.

AndrewB said:

No. I would set up my own FREE servers for people and create a trust fund to maintain them through perpetuity.

That's if I was feeling generous..

Perhaps I would pay for the service... but I barely use their servers anyway, so I don't.

WTF? Not content with stamping out all the competition and making you register with Gamespy (which no doubt comes with a ton of spyware) now they're making you pay as well? Typical monopoly, really. (ie. stamp out all the competition and then hike the prices for nothing but greed. Kinda like the oil companies at the moment)

Stay well clear.

The Ultimate DooMer, aha, so GameSpy finally accused Telefragged of unleashing the Sasser virus?

pritch said:

No. I would set up my own FREE servers for people and create a trust fund to maintain them through perpetuity.

You'd run out of money in a few months. Most people are notoriously greedy when it comes to Internet services like file downloads.

myk said:

The Ultimate DooMer, aha, so GameSpy finally accused Telefragged of unleashing the Sasser virus?

No, I didn't say that. I just said that it's possible that Gamespy (like any big commercial web firm) might use spyware on it's customers/subscribers.

When going on one of their sites using IE I saw "installing software" down in the status bar, so I quick closed it. Opera is immune to whatever shit they try though.

It was probably just one of their numerous ActiveX ads. GameSpy banners are almost single-handedly responsible for my having put ActiveX on prompt status in IE. Now I just deny them permission to run most of the time.

I don't understand why people who are selling things think that they're going to win you over by forcably covering up what you're trying to look at with a floating ActiveX applet. I dunno about most people, but my response to aggressive advertising is strong enough that I refuse to buy products from companies that employ it against me.

while i understand files that are 500+ megs. why should i pay to downlaod free stuff under 20Mb.

they say it is to pay bandwidth, but alone advertiseing and other stuff they do pays for that. it is just to make more money.

like i said i see the point in large files, but why should i need to wait an hour to download a 10Meg update?

AndrewB said:

no

I myself download some stuff from Fileplanet, and when I do I've only had to wait twice, which was only for about a minute a piece, but I only download songs from there. :D I myself wouldn't pay, because I am che..Thrifty like that. :D
And by the way, Cyb, that jazz sounds really cool. :D