Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
S1lent

Attacking?

Will the characters in DOOM 3 attack eachother like in Doom 1, 2, and Final?

Darkbolt said:

yeah, that hell knight smacks the zombie

Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted. Scripted.

Disorder said:

That was clearly scripted.

Yeah, but it still kinda suggests that enemies will feel contempt for each other enough to be provoked into fighting one another.

Of course, we don't have any actual confirmation that the monsters will attack each other if hit by each others' attacks, but then, I can't see why they shouldn't be able to.

Infighting has just gotta be there, its a Doom staple. If it is though, I doubt it will have the same effect as Doom's open/close a door and listen to the demons massacre each other...

chilvence said:

If it is though, I doubt it will have the same effect as Doom's open/close a door and listen to the demons massacre each other...

No but the fighting would look awesome due to the cinematic looks of the engine.

Darkbolt said:

yeah, that hell knight smacks the zombie

Also when the corpse is being thrown around by an invisible force, presumably a spectre (that IS a spectre, right?), it would indicate that enemies at the very least have the ability to abuse each other, but whether it'll be a case of the old "let them all get on with it while I run to the exit" scenario is another matter.

I suspect it was a spectre, but i doubt they will be in doom 3 (but theres always a chance). Yeah the hell knight must have been scripted, but enemies attacking each other worked in the alpha i think, so i don't see why not.

I'm more curious about whether enemies of the same type would fight each other.

dsm said:

No but the fighting would look awesome due to the cinematic looks of the engine.

Agreed, I can imagine the demons getting very, visibly angry at each other. They look scary as shit when they come for you, so it should be very entertaining watching them take out their stress on each other.

besides the hell knight smashing the zombie to the wall i give it a 95% chance, that monsters kill each other.

It kinda looked like the zombie commando and the revenant were standing their ground against each other before turning to the player in the recent xbox trailer (watch it again carefully), if it means anything.

Other than that i'm sure there'll be scrapping between monsters.

DoomUK said:

Also when the corpse is being thrown around by an invisible force, presumably a spectre (that IS a spectre, right?), it would indicate that enemies at the very least have the ability to abuse each other, but whether it'll be a case of the old "let them all get on with it while I run to the exit" scenario is another matter.

Heh, cool thought. I had always thought that the zombie was being hurled around because of altered gravity in that room, or from a psychic attack by a Churb.

I'm pretty sure that was a cut scene. Plus, he's being spun and suspended from one leg... that's not something another beast could physically do. It was supernatural forces of evil.

It'll probably be done in a way that is more realistic, and therefore, more boring than the original.

I sure hope it is, it's one of the things I've been wanting to see in the Doom 3 engine.

I dunno Crix, it could be possible that it was a creature. It might have been one of those "new" monsters they are including in Doom 3. They haven't shown us all of them yet, but then again, you might be right too, I guess we won't know until the game comes out!

I wonder if the Spectre will be bigger....I thought it was a Spectre doing that at first, then I doubted it a little with I realized that the body was completely verticle when it was hanging. I looked at the Pinky Demon and realized that it wasn't big enough to do that so the Spectre might not be. But like I said earlier, it very may well be a new creature that hasn't been shown to us yet. I remember seeing a glimpse of those demon baby things with black wings and it scared the crap out of me knowing I'll have to fight one of those things. :-)

AndrewB said:

It'll probably be done in a way that is more realistic, and therefore, more boring than the original.

Care to elaborate?

1) ID Software makes it so that when enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B returns with one hit and all is even.
2) ID Software makes it so that when enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B gets hurt but doesn't care.
3) ID Software makes it so that when enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B growls and/or hisses at enemy A, and all is even.
4) ID Software makes it so that enemy A is too intelligent to hit enemy B.

AndrewB said:

1) ID Software makes it so that when enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B returns with one hit and all is even.
2) ID Software makes it so that when enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B gets hurt but doesn't care.
3) ID Software makes it so that when enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B growls and/or hisses at enemy A, and all is even.
4) ID Software makes it so that enemy A is too intelligent to hit enemy B.

1.)Enemy A will hit enemy B, and assuming enemy B is a higher demon, enemy B will attack enemy A until one, (probably enemy A) is dead.
2)Enemy A will hit enemy B, and assuming enemy B is a lesser demon, enemy B get's hurt but doesn't care.
3)When enemy A hits enemy B, enemy B will grunt in pain if a lesser demon than enemy A, or will fight enemy A if enemy B is a greater demon.
4)Enemy A is typically too intelligent to hit enemy B, but if enemy A has a ranged attack, and is pursuing you, you can trick enemy A to hit enemy B.

Yeah there is a hint of a ranking system in the doom 3 alpha, only guessing may not be true. But i would love to see Enemy A (Cyberdemon) get hit by a lesser demon Enemy B (imp) and just go ballistic and kill everything in sight, it aint doom unless the enemies kick each others tails while you run for cover. ;D

S1lent said:

stuff

Or it could simply be a scripted event, which seems likely. A purely invisible enemy would be almost impossible to find, much less kill.

AndrewB said:

1)...
2)...
3)...
4)...

5. ID Software makes it so that it pleases you and as a result all the hell levels are frozen