Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

Cool HL2 / CS Source vid

It's here

Some of the HL2 stuff is pretty cool, but I was more interested in the Counter-Strike Source portion. CSS is CS updated to HL2 standards but it still has the core gameplay of CS. I hope they'll actually add more stuff to it too.

What do you guys think of this video?

the technology is impressive, especially since it is built on quake3.
I'm worried about gameplay... how you are intended to play every section a certain way...
damn impressive though -- if you ONLY get the game that's in these trailers, it's already worth it, IMO.
I'm a purist, so seeing updates of maps and mods doesn't make sense to me. No matter how much you pretty-up e1m1, the original can't be beat... leave CS alone; you can only make it worse.

Nah, it actually looks a lot better (CSS) but plays the same. The maps still look like the old ones, but only in the way the areas are mapped out, tons of wonderful detail has been added to make them look more modern, but still retaining the feel of the original map.

It also seems that Valve is going to be updating the original HL and the two official add-ons, BS and OF, to the source engine.

Opulent said:

it is built on quake3

what?

BBG said:

but plays the same

Not really, the new physics effects and environmental sound will change gameplay AND make sneaking much much harder.

BBG said:

It also seems that Valve is going to be updating the original HL and the two official add-ons, BS and OF, to the source engine.

You'd still have to pay extra for it. I'd probably do it just to have a HL that doesn't have the crapped up collision detection.

The CS Source is what condition zero should have been. I'm glad they're porting everthing to source because they've made a pigs ear of the original code.

Intresting, I do worry about the growing tendency to 're-make' old games though. It's all well and good giving an old game a lick of paint a la jDoom, but given that they are proffesional games developers, they ought to find more intresting things to make. Even if its just new games loosly based on previous ones but with a sprinkling of innovation, its better than re-tracing the old steps exactly.

Even Carmack was talking about a Quake 2 Redux, but hopefully thats out the window in favour of whatever secret new title they're working on. Besides, what would the Q2 Evolved community have to do then?

I actually think "re-making" some games is good. Granted, I loved Half-life muchly. I've completed it over 13 times since it's release on 1998 :D. I Enjoyed it everytime too, so it'd be interesting to play HL1 fresh with a shinier coat of paint. I hope though that they make sure you can't take advantage of Source Features to b0rk the story up and/or ruin the gameplay, problem is though, Valve don't exactly have a good track record here. They overpatched HL and caused more problems than they fixed FFS.

Opulent said
Especially since it is built on quake3

Wow. That's news to me, I mean yeah the Quake 3 engine is still stunning now, with its ability to look as good as it does in Jedi Academy/Call of Duty but Source is a completely new engine built entirely inhouse by Valve. I find it funny that so many people find it hard to correctly identify which engine any HL game is based on. Half Life is NOT quake 2 and Source is NOT Quake 3. While I'm at it, Quake 2 Redux was never actually announced/confirmed or anything. It was a throw away line made by John Carmack in a speech he gave. It surprises me how many people took it as gospel considering all he said was essentially "I considering remaking Quake 2 with modern assets, but given all the work needed and the result, I decided against that"

I never was a fan of DOD or CS anyway, I'm a truly anti-cs player, but CS source does look surprisingly good even though I probably won't play it anyway. It's awesome news to me about Opfor/Blue Shift getting ported as well. That's really cool, If I can get those I'll be offline for a few weeks or so playing a Half-life marathon. From the start of HL1 to it's expansions and finishing off with HL2. That'll be a hell of a ride :D

I like how they've put dozens of civilians and rebels in City 17 to make it look more lifelike. The large battle where the player has to fight side by side with some other humans against huge striders looks like a lot of fun.

I liked the HL2 video. I think it shows enough of the game to show that it's going to break slightly from the mould of "just shoot everything in sight", and continue down the path Half-Life started with a lot of interactivity, with NPCs and the environment.

Although... the video showed a lot of use of the environment to kill things. Like using the grav gun to flatten a soldier with the buggy, or dropping a container from a crane on a bunch of bad guys. I don't know how much the average player will actually use this stuff... the instinct is there that you have a gun in your hands... and you're likely to use it, rather than look for rather non-obvious ways to kill things. Unless they severely limit your ammo, I suppose. but that wouldn't be much fun.

There was a hands-on preview of HL2 in a games mag I bought today.

Apparently a highlight was getting in a crane, lifting up a large metal crate, and smashing the shite out of enemies with it.

Hahaha, I loved that part, such a great idea. I can't wait to see how it's done in the final game :D (You get one guess)

Arno said:

The large battle where the player has to fight side by side with some other humans against huge striders looks like a lot of fun.

Holy hell yes.

This HL2 footage is infinitely more impressive than anything I've seen in Doom 3. Realistic physics are way cooler (and more useful) than a pixel-perfect shading model.

I found Doom3's physics to be really good even in the alpha. Things had the right amount of weight and seemed to have more gravity applied on them than you'd get in other games.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I found Doom3's physics to be really good even in the alpha. Things had the right amount of weight and seemed to have more gravity applied on them than you'd get in other games.

Werd.

Although to be fair HL2's use of Havok looks to be generally way better than every other game that's used Havok to date. With possible exception of Far Cry.

LorD BaZTArD said:

I actually think "re-making" some games is good.

You're probably right, and I can think of a few games that I would love to see 'refurbished' as it were. Doom has always been one of them, funnilly enough (wish granted there then). And an update of System Shock (either one) would be the second contender.

I'll just hold off worrying unless they start doing Counter-Strike III Alpha 2 Turbo Second Strike + EX.

Arioch said:

Werd.

Although to be fair HL2's use of Havok looks to be generally way better than every other game that's used Havok to date. With possible exception of Far Cry.

I dunno, HL2 does seem to have it's physics more tightly integrated with the gameplay than any other game I've seen. For instance the gravity guns, which are some of the most innovative uses of physics I've seen in a game so far.

Currently, physics engines seem really wasted in the games that use them... the same old boxes/objects you can push over and punt around, and standard ragdoll corpses seem to be the extent of it. And half the games don't even seem to apply damage to something when it gets hit by a physics object (you wouldn't believe how pleased I was when I first got mowed down by a barrel in Far Cry).

I'd like to see if Doom3 has more than this kind of stuff. There was that set of pictures which depicted a large and makeshift bridge falling apart not so long back, which looked like a good use.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I'd like to see if Doom3 has more than this kind of stuff. There was that set of pictures which depicted a large and makeshift bridge falling apart not so long back, which looked like a good use.

God that was I while ago, do you remember where that was/have a link to it?

Scabbed Angel said:

God that was I while ago, do you remember where that was/have a link to it?

Wish I did. Hopefully someone else will provide.