Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Is this worth buying?

unless you are buying something specific (or you are a collector) then I'd advise passing on these and use ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/ instead.
I guarantee there are at least 10 authors who frequent these boards who have several maps that are much better than ANY of the maps in those collections... and their maps are free.

You do know that link leads to folders right? And I have no idea how to find what it is you are talking about....I'm kinda looking for .exe files and stuff I can install.

I gave up a week ago on you. But ok, I'll try again. Do you know what a .zip file is?

Epyo, what's your problem. Geez I'm just asking a question. I ask, you answer, end of thread...get it? Thats half of what a forum is about. Questions and discussion. Don't like it? Stop posting on forums.

S1lent said:

Epyo, what's your problem. Geez I'm just asking a question. I ask, you answer, end of thread...get it? Thats half of what a forum is about. Questions and discussion. Don't like it? Stop posting on forums.

Calm down and don't buy that crap. End of story.

Instead of acting like someone is offensing You, because no one is, we're trying to help You pal, but if a sick kitten bites us when we want to help it then we can't help it, get it?.. Do You know what a zip file is? Compressed files and folders in one easy to unpack file to reduce size (of the stuff You packed) and easy management of one 1 file that holds many others (Glory to the Many!)-jokes aside..
Instead of buying WADs (You REALLY must have too much cash, would You like to share some? :-) jump to /idgames and download as much as You simply like. We've explained how to use modern sourceports in another thread so You know how to play custom WADs.
Exe's? All Wads are zipped so they can be unpacked. geez.
My opinion-it is certainly not worth to buy WADs on CD's, because all of them (or most of them) can be found on the internet for free.

"I gave up a week ago on you. But ok, I'll try again. Do you know what a .zip file is?"

/\ Since when is that not offending?

Those collections came up when Doom was new and internet not that popular it is today. I even own some of those CDs. Nowadays, you really wouldn't need them. They basically are old mirrors of the cd-rom archive, which is now here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/ (as mentioned above).
Unless you prefer buying them on a cd rather than download them from the archive for whatever strange reason, you don't want to buy them.

These CDs probably contain quite a number of early wads that aren't available in the archive, or elsewhere on the Internet. A lot of wads from back then were never uploaded to the archive. Many of those wads will be crap, but some will be good. They will almost certainly be a mix of MP and SP maps.

Chances are you'd be quite disappointed if you bought them, and would do better downloading recommended stuff from the archive. For recommendations, see the many threads discussing "best wads" (etc.) in the "WADs and Mods" forum or look at the ratings in the idgames search tool/database.

And those "folders" that DEMOn linked to contain zip files. Those zip files contain wads. Those wads are the map thingies that you play with Doom. Makes sense? That's the same type of stuff that you would find on the CDs that you asked about.

Alright, I won't buy them. The only one I might consider to get are the "Mater Levels" only because I've heard a few good things about them AND it comes with a poster. And I like Doom posters.

Grazza said:

These CDs probably contain quite a number of early wads that aren't available in the archive, or elsewhere on the Internet. A lot of wads from back then were never uploaded to the archive. Many of those wads will be crap, but some will be good.

So, if you think you have an old wad worth playing and it's not in the archive, then just upload it! Unless the text file forbits this, of course, but then, those are probably not allowed on CDs for sale, either.

I bought a CD with a ton of maps on it. Ho boy, I won't ever make THAT mistake again. It was so bad it had 'simulated screenshots' instead of real screenshots.

It was called D-Zone! 2 for your information.

In conclusions, STAY FAR AWAY!!!!!

AlexMax said:

'simulated screenshots' instead of real screenshots.

What are simulated screenshots? Just curious.

and BTW: it's not that those guys from DWS are breaking law selling wads. What is utter ugly is they crave cash so much that they go selling other people's stuff to fill their pockets.
Pathetic.

Do you know what a .zip file is?"

And, if you buy those CD's, they will most likley just have the wads in zip files in them as well, so you will still get "a bunch of folders and shit", its really NOT THAT HARD to work out how to run wad files, if you get doom legacy its even easier cause it has the launcher, YOU CHOOSE THE WAD YOU WANT TO RUN AND PRESS "RUN"! HOW HARD IS THAT??, try LEARNING!!

Grazza said:

They will almost certainly be a mix of MP and SP maps.

Uh, except the one that says Deathmatch 2 on it :p

I own all the D-zones, and they had some cool levels on em, if you dont mind weeding through all the horse shit. The Master Levels is worth buying I suppose (you remember that one S1lent cause I posted a link to it when you asked what it was). Anyway, I would think hard b4 buying any of that shit.

AND REMEMBER FUCKERS, BE SWEET TO EACH OTHER! ;D

Most of those maps are garbage. However, I might get the first one on that list because it has Heretic and Hexen maps, which are in fairly short supply, especially Hexen. Then again, most of those maps for Heretic and Hexen are probably garbage as well. Let's not forget that a lot of those maps might already be found on the archives.

In other words, no they aren't worth it, unless they are very cheap.

The Green Marine said:

What that little mysterious red square said.

The square is not mysterious at all! It's just an Ironlich behind a firewall!

LogicDeLuxe said:
So, if you think you have an old wad worth playing and it's not in the archive, then just upload it! Unless the text file forbits this, of course, but then, those are probably not allowed on CDs for sale, either.

He's been doing this all along, uploading in small batches and adding fitting reviews to the uploads each time.

Seriously deathbringer, quit waisting my time with the arrogant remarks. No, I didn't know they came in WADS, but you don't have to speak to me like I'm some sort of an idiot just because I am new. And guess what, the reason why I posted this was so that I COULD learn. Try being nice to people instead of insulting them and being so arrogant. Also, thank you everyone else who has posted their opinions and experiences, I really appreciate it, it helped out a lot and saved me a lot of money :-)

Ok, since the original question has been answered, I'm going to close this before it gets out of control.