Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Realistic Base Levels

So, I guess I should start working on my level again (it's been a year since I started it, and a couple of months since I last worked on it). Thus, can someone point me to base levels with either really good or really realistic level design? I want this level to not just be a "Doomish" base level, but one that you could actually see exsisting.

Guess you know about P:AR, guess you dont intend to create that level of detail anyway heh

Another famous one which is overlooked in modern times is Phobos, which has levels like an air/spaceport, power station and chemical plant

Or there's Don's challenge 1, which is basically a modified E1, as doomish as you get but realistic-ish

Tei tenga is often overlooked for its dodgy storyline, but the level design is good

And there's always that one made by..that bloke with the meridian TV avatar..where there are loads of innocent scientists who run away from you that you can massacre and it has terminator music (quite a recent release too)

Don't forget Equinox. I could imagine that existing (before it gets alienized, anyway).

deathbringer said:

Another famous one which is overlooked in modern times is Phobos, which has levels like an air/spaceport, power station and chemical plant

Which Phobos are you referring too? I know there must be several - I could name two that I've played right off the bat, but I forgot what all's in them.

netnomad312 said:

Which Phobos are you referring too? I know there must be several - I could name two that I've played right off the bat, but I forgot what all's in them.

The Roger Ritenour one I presume.

Just to name few I've been playing recently:

The most realistic base level is RTC-3057, imho. Among the best wads I had ever played. Though RONE is not yet released :P

And also P:AR is superbly realistic. Not as realistic as RTC, because it was made for an older engine (Boom), but it's awesome, and has tremendous amount of detail. I would say it's the best Doom1 episode I've ever seen, maybe even the best WAD ever.

Equinox is worth playing also. Some sound replacements are shitty, while others fit right in. Still the consequent (?) map layout, and their complexity rates among the best.

Which Phobos are you referring too?

The good one!...er..

There was an article about it somewhere on doomworld long ago (back when twilight warrior was an upcoming project), thats how i was introduced to it, the text file says something like "spectacular phobos sky with mars, the red planet, looming malevolently on the horizon"

If you really like tech bases and industrial style maps, check out either the Darkening or The Parallel Dimension WADs.
Get in touch with Ola Bjorling, he could probably inspire you.