Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Isometric (Diablo, Planescape) RPGs

Just a couple of things about these type's o' games. One, finally got around to beating Planescape: Torment (the very last part was too much of a pain in the ass and made me temporaily stop playing). Good game. Can anyone point me to a plot summary? Still trying to piece it together.

Two, there's this somewhat old game called The Summoning. Best damn gamn of this type I've ever played. Problem is, won't run under XP. Can anyone help out? While we're here, anyone know of a surefire way to get Betrayal at Krondor to run under XP?

Finally, what are some other good games in this vein?

Baldur's Gate 2. It's older than NWN, but places far more emphasis on story and party interaction and less on hack'n'slash. Plus I find it's rendered 2D graphics prettier than NWN's relatively primitive 3D engine :). Plus it uses the same engine as Planescape Torment ;).

If you're in the mood for a real oldie (1991), there's also Ultima 7.

If you like hack'n'slash as well as story-based roleplaying, I strongly recommend the Icewind Dale series. They use the same engine as Baldur's Gate and PS:T, but it's all (well mostly) about the fighting.

Twoo other good hack'n'slashers are the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games. The first one is on the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, whilst the second one is on the PS2 and Xbox. They've got the best graphics of any of the games I've mentioned :).

you might want to try Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption.

Alot of people I know don't like it, but I thought it was an addicting fun game....but maybe because I think vampires are cool.

oh yeah....if you've never heard of or even played Fallout (1 and 2), you definitely want to try those to games out. Best rpg's I've ever played.

If you get Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, you can even get a patch that converts BG1 to BG2's engine. You have to accept a few *minor* flaws, but in my opinion the first one is a lot more fun. It just has a really primitive incarnation of the infinity engine.

http://japh.fwstudios.net/bg1tutu/

Not quite an RPG, but I recommend looking at Nox. Feels more like an action game, but if you liked Diablo, you would probably like this.

jesus is pretty big on baldur's gate 2, i hear. there isn't a better rpg in existence.

bg1tutu is nice, but if you own both games i'd recommend playing bg1 first and avoiding tutu. there's a few bugs which can be incredibly obnoxious, and bg2 is that much more exciting after finishing an entire game with the infant infinity engine. tutu is suitable for people who played the sequel first and have trouble going backwards because of bg1's primitive tech.

Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout Fallout

It is the best RPG ever made, and possibly the best game ever.

NiGHTMARE said:

Ultima 7's already been mentioned, so sheesh yourself :P.

Oh I knew you were going to mention it, it's just that we can't be the only ones.. :(

Um, no acronyms please. If I knew 'em I wouldn't be asking you guys now would I? :) Thanks for all of your help.

Grimm said:

Um, no acronyms please. If I knew 'em I wouldn't be asking you guys now would I? :) Thanks for all of your help.

GIYF

The Temple of Elemental Evil is my current squeeze. Solid engine, simple and unobtrusive graphics, five-man party with room for three NPCs, and best of all deep and COMPLETELY TURN-BASED combat.

Grimm said:

NWN = Neverwinter Nights. A somewhat recent RPG based on the Dungeons and Dragons (3rd edition) system and the Forgotten Realms setting.

PS:T = Planescape: Torment. A somewhat old RPG based on the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons system and the Planescape setting. Almost as much an adventure game as an RPG. Heavy emphasis on character development and such.

temple of elemental evil's turn-based combat is clunky and retarded compared to the real-time battles in infinity engine games

Little Faith said:

PS:T = Planescape: Torment. A somewhat old RPG based on the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons system and the Planescape setting. Almost as much an adventure game as an RPG. Heavy emphasis on character development and such.

good job reading the first post mang :P