Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First off, this is not a thread which is meant to invite flames. I'm not asking which game "suxX0R5 lOL!!1" Ahem, that said:

Now that we've been given more footage via E3, of Halo 2, Half Life 2, and Doom³, (All hyped up current FPS rivals) which do you think looks the best? (As the Unreal engine is not coming out in gameform in any way until 2006, I've decided to leave it out of this poll btw)? I would have previously easily said Doom³, but after seeing all the vids, (depsite res) I'm not so sure. What do you think? (Play nice, children.)

I cant say anything about Halo 2(have not seen it, dont feel like getting another sloppy seconds from the XBox), but Halflife and Doom 3 both have their respective merits. IMO Both of them look about as good as each other and its generally up to individual preference to break the tie.

I like Doom 3 because of its consistency in visuals, which is something that has been absent for so long. I like Halflife more because of the moody artwork of a rotten husk of a city, than the actual engine itself. (ed: although it is impressive)

I can honestly say Doom3. I wanted to say Halo2, but the game's still being kept all Hush Hush, and I'm not really looking into it as much.

Likewise. On a side note, after seeing the interaction between characters in the recent HL2 vid, I'm intersted to see how the interaction will done between the marine and NPCs in D3.

I'm gonna go with the 'They all suck! Long live Doom and Doom 2!' vote, since I wasn't impressed by anything at all this E3.

2 xbox games (Doom 3 and Halo 2, they didn't show PC Doom 3 at E3) vs. a PC game (Half-Life 2)? Come on.

It'll be freakin' ages before I can play it (computer hardware reasons), but Half-Life 2. It looks incredible, and has a great atmosphere.

Besides those mentioned above, Resident Evil 4, the Legend of Zelda and Timesplitters 3 are looking pretty fantastic too.

for realism, i gotta give it to half-life 2. i dont know about you guys, but Doom III doesn't have a 'realistic' look to it, but that is a good thing. Thats what I want from Doom III. D3 graphics is like CG movie. Comparable or equal to movies like Shrek, Ice Age, etc. you know, the pixar films.

I would have to say Half-Life 2. Not because I prefer HL over DOOM, but because I've seen more footage and demonstrations of the new Half-Life 2 and it's new engine. Whereas with Doom, I've only seen pretty pictures and a few 2 second combat scenes. But, then again, I can always just buy the game and find out :-) As for Halo 2. I gave up on waiting for that a long time ago. I'll buy it when it comes out but I'm not going to get all excited over it.

Heh I just saw the Zelda trailer and it has me more excited than HL2 now. I kinda hooked off the Zelda's after Ocarina but this one will get me back in quick.

I'd have to say Half life 2, I wasn't impressed by what I heard about doom 3 at the last E3.

- Doom 3 no longer interests me for some reason.
- Why are they making HL2 when they still haven't finished TF2? Huh? And they seem to be putting as much effort into it as they put effort into making Half-Life updates not screw up the game.
- Why make a second Halo game when the first game is superior to 95% of all other FPSes in deathmatch, and I haven't sen any screenshots for this game.

So my answer is a resounding 'meh'.

Danarchy, for one, if by TF2 you mean Team Fortress 2, than the answer to your question is: Team Fortress is a MOD of HL2, without HL2 there is no TF2. Unless they were to make it into a seperate stand-alone retail game, than it would need HL. If TF2 didn't mean Team Fortress 2, than never mind the above statement.

Also, they are making HALO 2 because most all people who have Halo have beaten it several dozen times, it does not have online play (which was Halo's #1 complaint), and because the game has been out for over 2 years....

S1lent said:

Danarchy, for one, if by TF2 you mean Team Fortress 2, than the answer to your question is: Team Fortress is a MOD of HL2, without HL2 there is no TF2. Unless they were to make it into a seperate stand-alone retail game, than it would need HL. If TF2 didn't mean Team Fortress 2, than never mind the above statement.

No, It was supposed to be a stand alone game...christ, how long has it been in development so far?

Danarchy said:

- Doom 3 no longer interests me for some reason.

HEATHEN!!

- Why are they making HL2 when they still haven't finished TF2? Huh?

TF2 is on the backburner until further notice. Most of the TF2 team was lifted for other projects. I wouldn't be surprised if they either dropped the project entirely, but it's more likely that they resigned to making a mod for HL2.

And they seem to be putting as much effort into it as they put effort into making Half-Life updates not screw up the game.

You have to wonder if Valve does any playtesting themselves. You'd think that any knowledge of their game not working comes from people like you and me. And obviously Steam was created so they wouldn't have to spend more than 30 minutes on any one bug report.

- Why make a second Halo game when the first game is superior to 95% of all other FPSes in deathmatch, and I haven't sen any screenshots for this game.

Interesting. Try gametrailers.com to find out what the XBox fanboys are ejaculating to.

So my answer is a resounding 'meh'.

I'd like to see you 'meh' at the Onimusha 3 trailer.

I'll be impressed by Zelda again when they actually do something original, instead of tweaking the gameplay of Ocarina of Time a little bit and calling it "revolutionary".

Meh, I'm gonna have to go with Doom 3 because that's pretty much the only thing I've seen thus far.

[EDIT]Oh yeah, and I don't see what was so great about Halo's deathmatch. Wow. It has vehicles. Also, something about deathmatch without any music AT ALL makes it seem really boring. Doom's deathmatch is alot more fun and fast paced.[/EDIT]

AgentSpork said:

[EDIT]Oh yeah, and I don't see what was so great about Halo's deathmatch. Wow. It has vehicles. Also, something about deathmatch without any music AT ALL makes it seem really boring. Doom's deathmatch is alot more fun and fast paced.[/EDIT]

By fast paced you're talking about the original Doom, and not Doom3?

Had Doom3 come out two years ago, it might've caught my interest. With Tenebrea 2 on the horizon and the massive ammount of Doom 3 media on the market, it just doesn't excite me as much as when the news first broke. Of course I'll still buy it..

Ed said:

and the massive ammount of Doom 3 media on the market, it just doesn't excite me as much as when the news first broke.

Damn right. I think they showed too much too soon.

When HL2 was first announced for it's Sept 30th release, I was really quite impressed at how the first media they released was so far on in the development cycle. Of course I didn't know it was going to be a complete fuck-up at that point, but I still think that kind of timing is a good thing.

Ed said:

and the massive ammount of Doom 3 media on the market

Ha. Yeah right.