Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Real World 2 Nightmare demos

These is just basicly some of my first finished nightmare runs for RW2, so they are not that special. But I thought maybe some of you wanted to see them. :)

The demos is for map01, map02, map05, map08, map09 and map10.
note: I die at map10, but the map exits anyway. I am not sure if it is legal.

Torn's
Real World 2 Nightmare! demos

They look excellent to me. :) Good execution and some nice little tricks.

I'd regard the map10 demo as valid, though presumably it wouldn't be at compet-n (corpse not moving at level end). I don't recall hearing about any compet-n SP demos that were disqualified on that rule though.

Grazza said:

corpse not moving at level end

On a related note, did "player must be alive at level end" change to this after the discovery of the slider-under-exit-bars trick?

Fredrik said:

On a related note, did "player must be alive at level end" change to this after the discovery of the slider-under-exit-bars trick?

AFAIK, there was no rule that the player must be alive at level end (maybe in the very early days? dunno). There were plenty of demos (mostly map30s, but presumably some RJs and AJs too?) that ended with the player dead that came before the pl17 exit trick was discovered (late 2001).

I remember AdamH himself saying that back in 1999 he considered using a dead exit from E4M1 for an E4 NM run, but only rejected it because it wasn't necessary. In that post he also suggests that the rule isn't quite identical for SP as it is for coop. Personally, I think that for SP demos it shouldn't matter if the corpse lies motionless for a while.

Grazza said:

They look excellent to me. :) Good execution and some nice little tricks.

I'd regard the map10 demo as valid, though presumably it wouldn't be at compet-n (corpse not moving at level end). I don't recall hearing about any compet-n SP demos that were disqualified on that rule though.

Where does it say the corpse has to move at level end for compet-n?

Corpse moving or not does not matter in solo as long as you exit the map.

It DOES matter only in Coop, if a player dies he must be in his death animation OR his corpse must still be sliding when the other player exits.

I would only see an exception with maps with a boss brain (still in coop) :
- if a player dies after the boss death sequence started => valid
- if he dies before other coop partners trigger the boss death sequence => not valid

Same could apply for E3M8 and E2M8, if a player dies after the boss is dead = valid, before = not valid.

I might be wrong, AdamH can prolly clear everything :)

Now I just had to start playing through Real World 2; I don't like to watch demos of maps that I haven't played. Only finished the 3 first maps yet and watched the two first demos. Hey, they're so damn short, neat tricks there. I somehow didn't notice them when playing myself, maybe I'm getting old :)

Of course, I couldn't resist from throwing my two cents in, and I recorded MAP03 NM demo in 2:06. No neat tricks here, though.

Schneelocke said:

Where does it say the corpse has to move at level end for compet-n?

AdamH said here:
"in coop (which is compatible with the single player rule), players are considered dead from the moment their corpse becomes still. If all players' corpses are moving at exit time, the demo is valid."

I'd hope so, but then what did he mean by "which is compatible with the single player rule"?

Hmmm...

With this interpretation - a guy killing the boss brain and jumping in the explosion would die and his corpse would stand still for a few seconds before exit - would be disqualified ?

That's how I would understand Adam sentence... but It's rather common to see guys killing themselves at the end of map30 in a movie...

Donce said:

Of course, I couldn't resist from throwing my two cents in, and I recorded MAP03 NM demo in 2:06. No neat tricks here, though.

Exciting demo, but did you deliberately avoid using the simple route: NM Pacifist in 0:08?

Grazza said:

Exciting demo, but did you deliberately avoid using the simple route: NM Pacifist in 0:08?

Like I said, I'm probably getting old hehe. I noticed that it may be possible to do the jump there but I didn't even try it for some reason. And if you need to both SR50 and wallrun simultaneously, then it's a not so easy task with my control config. I'll have to try it when I'm at home.

So, it looks like the first 3 maps can be done in less than 20 seconds overall?

Heh, if you're getting old, what does that make me? :p

I don't know if both strafe-50 and wallrun are necessary, but the combination of the two makes it quite easy. As long as you're roughly lined up right, you make it to the other side every time.

Yes, under 20 seconds for the first three maps for sure.

Grazza said:

Heh, if you're getting old, what does that make me? :p

I don't know if both strafe-50 and wallrun are necessary, but the combination of the two makes it quite easy. As long as you're roughly lined up right, you make it to the other side every time.

Yes, under 20 seconds for the first three maps for sure.

I found that jump when you told about the release about rw2. :)
But now I need to beat your time. :P

Torn said:

I found that jump when you told about the release about rw2. :)

Oh yes, so you did. Route credit added to the text-file. :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to beat (either NM Pacifist or normal NM). This 0:08 came after just a few attempts, and isn't very smooth.

Grazza said:

Oh yes, so you did. Route credit added to the text-file. :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to beat (either NM Pacifist or normal NM). This 0:08 came after just a few attempts, and isn't very smooth.

It will probaly be normal nm.
The maps is not suited for pacifist except some of them.

Played MAP04 and this time I couldn't find any tricks that would tremendously shorten the map. I didn't miss anything, now did I? :)
I assumed that Torn wouldn't record a trick-less demo (am I right Torn?), so did one myself.

MAP04 NM in 1:28

Beware, my mouse needs urgent cleaning, so don't expect to see flawless action.

nice. and, oi! i discovered that jump in map03 the moment i saw it. well, it looks a little obvious to me really only i'd never gotten around to trying, heh. i'd tried the "console run" in map02 myself but not managed it (only a couple of attempts). great little demos though, id already sorted out a spot in my demos folder for RW2 actually so i could record some of my own. again, never got round to it. anyway, back to vf for me :-)

Donce said:

Played MAP04 and this time I couldn't find any tricks that would tremendously shorten the map. I didn't miss anything, now did I? :)
I assumed that Torn wouldn't record a trick-less demo (am I right Torn?), so did one myself.

MAP04 NM in 1:28

Beware, my mouse needs urgent cleaning, so don't expect to see flawless action.

Made a 1:22 on first exit, I need to improve it.
edit: I got it down to 1:12, but it still look slow. But here is the
demo

Too sad the map don't have any tricks. But fairly fun map.
I think I will still work on it, I won't stop before I get under 1min at least.

Torn said:

Made a 1:22 on first exit, I need to improve it.
edit: I got it down to 1:12, but it still look slow. But here is the
demo

Too sad the map don't have any tricks. But fairly fun map.
I think I will still work on it, I won't stop before I get under 1min at least.

Coolness! Yeah, this map is pretty fun, like other Rw2 maps.

Played MAP05 today; again, a pretty good demonfear'ish map, and you can 'console run' to the exit like in MAP02, thus skipping the blue key. Also recorded a NM UV speedrun demo in 0:26; the zip also contains a NM pacifist in 0:30.

Torn, feel free to beat this one as well :)

Donce said:

Also recorded a NM demo in 0:26; the zip also contains a NM pacifist in 0:30.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (again!), but they are UV, not NM (confirmed by LMPC). They're still nice UV demos though. :)

Ahaha!! I can't help laughing! This was the most silly thing EVER from my side :-)) Used the command history and didn't change the skill and then was surprised that it came so easy. I should really get some sleep hehe.

I do something much sillier than that every now and then. I record a demo, watch it, and then decide to try to improve upon it, but forget to change the command line back to the one to record. Sometimes I get as far as the stats screen before I realize my mistake. :p

What really alerted me to your demos being UV was one point where you kind of barged your way past an undistracted imp without taking any damage. I don't recall that happening too often on NM. :)

Overwriting is sometimes very painful. I name the demo demo-xxx when recording and when I get a faster time I immediately rename xxx to the time.

Another interesting thing is that sometimes, when recording the same map for many times, I sometimes watch the last recorded lmp, then go on recording but call the last command line (playdemo), not before last (record). When recording Hr2 Map04, the same happened and I only realized that I wasn't actually playing after the whole minute or so :)

I thought I was the only one to ever have been stupid enough to have done this. What's really embarrassing is how long it takes you to realise you're not really playing...

On the other hand, at least it's a sign you know the map pretty well :)

Donce: Yes, this is what I was referring to, not overwriting (which I've never done, thanks in part to having a similar naming {+ zipping} regime, and partly because prboom 2.2.3/4 refuses to overwrite in any case).

So maybe everyone does this... I think the worst I've done is watch a full 21 second demo (rw.wad map17), and then think "Ah, another 0:21 immediately; I should try for 0:20 or less". I only noticed the error when I went to rename it.

ryback: oh, I've done it too. as for knowing maps - back when I record p3m1, it took me about six days of playing five hours a day...by the end of that I could actually play through about the first fifteen seconds of the map without looking at the screen :)