Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Doom Movie?

If there was a DOOM movie coming out, which game would you want it to be about? If you don't want it to be about one of the games, than what would your storyline be?

I'd like to see a mix of UDoom and Doom II.

Hurr hurr, IMJack used to keep track of all the doom movie threads on DW, I wonder if he still has a list.

There is one coming out, but it's not coming for a long time. IIRC, the script is suppost to be based on Doom 3.

Like most forums, these have a search function. I suggest you use it at least once. PLEASE

Read the interview with Chris Hansen (aka C-cooper) on Newdoom and You will know his opinion about the whole movie thing.
I agree with his opinion...

Sorry, it was just a thread asking for YOUR opinions on what YOU would want the movie to be about.....not IF there was going to be a movie or not.

In truth, if they were to make a movie (which they were talking about during the days of the Mortal Kombat movie), I think it'd be better to base them off the novels, with some minor modifications to make the movie interesting.

Truthfully, I don't think there'll ever be a movie, but I'd definitely put it on my list of movies to see if they actually ended up making it.

RTCW would have made a good movie too :-) But thats a little off topic.

I would like to see them made after the novels, but then again... You can't capture today's audiance because of what happens in the book. People will be bored and won't understand most of it.

Plus the movie is under id control, completely. What ever they say goes, even if it sucks. I'm just hoping it does't.

They could/should be original if one is made. Try a mixture of all teh plots, have it running from a different characters view, etc. But what'd be really innovative and cool would be if they made it look like the game, not first person, but in the blocky pixel style.

I think they should keep the same basic plot. You know, same monsters, same looks, same place, but have different events than what happens in the books and movie. But if it doesn't have a CyberDemon somewhere in it, I won't like it.

I heard that the movie industry want's to make it PG-13 which would be horrible. I also heard that the ID won't let it be PG-13 but want it to be R or no Doom Movie which is fantastic.

Response to topic:

BARF!

It has to be R-rated, so that's good. I guess they want it to be PG-13 because otherwise it might not have a large audience.

It needs to be R-rated because of the horror elements, and the gore and probably swearing. Hopefully it won't turn into a modern horror movie, like scream, or 13 ghosts, all of those crappy films.

the only thing is DOOM would probably be hard to clearly distinguish itself from such masterpieces like Aliens. When you think about it, games like DOOM and Marathon (more Marathon) play a lot like Aliens with you beinga hard-ass marine versus something nasty in some dingy corridors.

Doom's storyline...

The "Classic" Doom saga tells the whole thing.
Doom 3 however (going by the sneekpeek) seems to retell the Original Doom and reflect / confirm the first novel based on the game. Really the movie would most likely be in two parts.

Doom is where it began and Doom II is where it ended.

The novels however go behind the game and give you a deeper insight into Doom's story. The characters being Flynn Taggart and Arlene Sanders. There are six novels in total (from what I've seen) but the game tells the story using two installments.

To make Doom work on the bigscreen you would follow both the games and the novels as well as throwing some added extras in as well to compliment the story. Of course the movie would work better if showing the story in two installments (like the original games) as opposed to six. A good reason why...

The game is not really really that big with the amount of episodes the are as opposed to Spiderman with having a billion+ comic books.
Besides people (as in critics) seem to complain when something gets drawn-out for too long.
The first installment would naturally explain The original Doom trilogy (Knee Deep in the Dead / Shores of Hell / Inferno) as well as the first novel "Knee Deep in the Dead" (based on entire trilogy).
The second installment is clearly based on both the game and book "Doom: Hell on Earth".

Theres the story for you.

How would this story best be told on the bigscreen?

Panavision?
CG Animation?
Traditional Western Animation?
Japanese Animation (aka Anime)?
Hybrid Animation (combination of Traditional Techniques & CGI)?

Who should be sitting at the projects helm?

Why John Carmack of course as well as your other regulars on Doom's development team too.

Who would be a good candidate for the director of such a legendary saga?

John Carmack? (he led the team on the games didn't he?)
Roland Emmerich? (a visionary of epic movies!)
Clive Barker? (Hellraiser Rocked!)
Ridley Scott? (Bladerunner and Alien were good.)
Wes Craven? (he's does some good horrorflicks.)
John MacTiernan? (Die Hard & Predator were excellent.)
James Cameron? (a Perfectionist, Terminator 1 & 2 rocked!)
Paul Verhoven? (Total Recall and Starship Troopers rocked!)
John Woo? (HARD TARGET! FACE-OFF! M:I2! PAYCHECK! NEED I SAY MORE?!?)
Tsu Hark? (He did some pretty cool stuff.)
John Mastow? (is Terminator 3 a good enough reason???)
Quentin Tarantino? (is it his style???)
The Wakowskis? (...wait on! they'd turn Doom into MatrixDooM.)

And finally... Who should play the leading roles of Fynn "Fly" Taggart and Arlene Sanders?

What do you think?

-=DOS=-DarkWolf said:

The novels however go behind the game and give you a deeper insight into Doom's story.

ROFL. The novels are no better that published fanfiction, as far as cannon goes. The plot from the manual and the story screens from Doom 1 and 2 are the real plot.

The characters being Flynn Taggart and Arlene Sanders.

DIE DIE DIE DIE. Fuck Faggart is NOT the Doomguy. Doomguy > Flynn "I can't get through E1 without Arlene guiding me by the nose" Taggart.

And before you start to say shit like "Flynn Taggart is the Doomguy's real name!!!1111", read this: http://rome.ro/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000004#000005
It's from one of the creators of Doom, John Romero.

Even so, the plot of the first DOOM novel is as unfit for a movie as the game is. All Flynn Taggardydaggert does is shoot monsters and reflect on his life - boring. Definietely wouldn't make a good movie either.

Basing it on Doom 3 is much, much smarter because there will most likely be more characters left alive than in the Doom novel. The movie could start out with the marine being on his own, but he gradually finds a few allies, some of whom die later or underway and the plot would be have the heroes try to do all kinds of stuff such as restoring power to the life support systems or stuff like that and they gradually uncover what brought about the demon menace, all boiling down to them having to close the gates or some stuff like that.

DoomWarrior said:

I heard that the movie industry want's to make it PG-13 which would be horrible. I also heard that the ID won't let it be PG-13 but want it to be R or no Doom Movie which is fantastic.

Just gotta live id :-)