• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Couple Things I want to see in EDGE 1.27

Let's start shall we?

-Dynamic Shadowing-
Imagine Dynamic Lighting, but instead with shadows. Use your imagination.
-'From the console' WAD loading-
I keep having the Devil's own time loading WADs using EDGE.
Using the command 'map wadname.wad 3' or something like that, say 'wad wadname.wad 3'. It would be much easier than the ordinary DOS method.
Feel free to put in your suggestions!

I have tons of em.

Movable objects-Like pushing a crate or something

Blood splats, bullet holes, and rockets/plasma/bfg/punch/chainsaw wall damage-If I shot a wall then I think it would get a hole in it.

Breakable things-Like those lamps and shit

Instant sector change-Like at the press of a switch it could turn a slime sector (and the textures if it was the green stuff) into a harmless water sector (or vice versa cause that would make for an interesting trap).

and tons of other stuff I cant really think of.

many of those features are in zdoom. but i would like to see zdoom have true room over room, not that fake 3d floor shit with invisable elevator either, the real stuff.

Guest Fanatic

EDGE is pretty much done. I think everyone is tired/bored with it. We were down to one programmer who busted his ass just to get EDGE working well with the full QDOOM release, but neither of use have touched EDGE in a month or more.

WYSIWYG.

I love EDGE. Everyone hates it cause it's slow and ungainly and stuff, but I like it. For retards like me that dunno how to code and stuff, it's god. DDF makes things easy, and is really the only reason I stick with it. If EDGE isn't going to be fixed to be faster and stuff tho I might as well scrap my work on League of Liberty....

fanatic, keep it going, I know your can do it.
You can probably get the engine to a stage where its acceptable to play (not saying that it is already :/)
but I love edge, without it I'd probably be using gay dehacked which is less powerful, edge has really bought a new meaning to the word "scripting" imho

EDGE is pretty much done. I think everyone is tired/bored with it. We were down to one programmer who busted his ass just to get EDGE working well with the full QDOOM release, but neither of use have touched EDGE in a month or more.

WYSIWYG.

Meh.

That means that the next release of EDGE is probably going to be totally dependent upon what gets done to the source in making Hellstorm.

I love EDGE. Everyone hates it cause it's slow and ungainly and stuff, but I like it. For retards like me that dunno how to code and stuff, it's god. DDF makes things easy, and is really the only reason I stick with it. If EDGE isn't going to be fixed to be faster and stuff tho I might as well scrap my work on League of Liberty....

No! Dont scrap LoL! Think about what your saying! DONT JUMP! Oh wait...what were we talking about again?

Qdoom runs at like 4 fps on my system, LoL runs at 16 fps. I have and AMD 350 mhz processor and a ATI Rage Pro. I get motion sickness sometimes from the low counts, and it suck considering I get much much higher speeds in say, Duke or Quake2. I don't want to use EDGE if that problem isn't fixed.

WYSIWYG.

What, does this mean there's going to be no EDGE 1.27?! Damn, I wish I knew how to code... :(

YOU CANT DO THAT! to much blood sweat and tears have gone into EDGE, and the same for LOL! I really wish i could code, cause i would jump onto the edge team and help bust that sucker outa its entrapment of tangled code. I bet if you cleaned up the code, and did a few mods here and there, you could get it running at 30fps. I tell you, if edge dies, you know what were all gonna have 2 deal w/? LEGACY!! ITS EVIL!!! Lets not let that happen, ok?

YOU CANT DO THAT! to much blood sweat and tears have gone into EDGE, and the same for LOL! I really wish i could code, cause i would jump onto the edge team and help bust that sucker outa its entrapment of tangled code. I bet if you cleaned up the code, and did a few mods here and there, you could get it running at 30fps. I tell you, if edge dies, you know what were all gonna have 2 deal w/? LEGACY!! ITS EVIL!!! Lets not let that happen, ok?

Just because there's nobody officially working on EDGE 1.27 doesn't mean that EDGE is dead.

Oh, and Espi - if you'd like, you're welcome to come help out with the modifications to the EDGE source for Hellstorm. We need to add slopes, polyobjects, and a few other things that are only in ZDoom right now, plus new attack types, improve the system of immunity/attack flavors, etc.

I think that IF EDGE is updated/upgraded, speed should be their only concern, and not all those other source port features from ZDoom, etc. It has the scpripting and maps don't NEED slopes. I think they should just get it functional so that EVERYONE can use it at a reasonably functional level, and then leave it at that. Like christ, what more do you really need? It's already more than functional

I think that IF EDGE is updated/upgraded, speed should be their only concern, and not all those other source port features from ZDoom, etc. It has the scpripting and maps don't NEED slopes. I think they should just get it functional so that EVERYONE can use it at a reasonably functional level, and then leave it at that. Like christ, what more do you really need? It already more than simply enhances the expandability of Doom.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

Where do I get the old EDGE anyway?

I think that IF EDGE is updated/upgraded, speed should be their only concern, and not all those other source port features from ZDoom, etc. It has the scpripting and maps don't NEED slopes. I think they should just get it functional so that EVERYONE can use it at a reasonably functional level, and then leave it at that. Like christ, what more do you really need? It's already more than functional

For Hellstorm, speed is a concern. However, slopes (done well) are faster than simulating them, RTS has some notably lacking features (variables, for one, or any way of storing properties), and polyobjects... well, if you take polyobjects, slopes, and the extrafloor stuff, you can pull off stuff that you'd see in Build-engine (and Quake-engine) games. Granted, it's a hack, but there are worse ways to do things.

I can't wait until I can set up sliding doors that come apart on an angle.

And, BTW, speed is about second on the list of things to improve, first being the attack types (which are a must-change for Hellstorm).

you're welcome to come help out with the modifications to the EDGE source for Hellstorm.

But that's just it, I don't know a thing about coding... but I wish I did.

I dont give a hoot about shadows - I actually find them to be an annoyance (and turn them off whenever possible).

In-Game resource loading would be an instant hit, but it would probably be tough to do (I bet all the data would have to be re-laoded over again). You'd best just make up some .bat files or something (that's what I do).

-----
I wish some of the entity-objects were pushable. I think I toutta be able to move a barrel around - or push a zombieman outta the way so I can get my medikit.

Wall decals would be nice - but remember they have to be customizable, not just specificially for "...rockets/plasma/bfg/punch/chainsaw..." - this is the beauty of edge (why not sonic/laser/fragments/nails/pizza... well maybe not the last one).

I have ALREADY made breakable objects. Simply make things like the bollard lamps and bronze torches have characterististics like the monsters (spawnhealth, apprpriate thing flags, death states, etc, just dont give a speed variable or sighting/seeking sounds). I've made everything from the small tech lamp to the black candle destructable objects (and they break alot like the objects in ROTT did - brief orange flash and they turn to rubble).

-----

Tobester: It works fine on my system - but then again I have a t-bird 900mhz and 64mb agp (it actually runs *faster* in GL mode instead of software) - and my AGP is onboard (so your ATI rage pro is probably faster than mine regardless of the memory it has).

"...EDGE is pretty much done. I think everyone is tired/bored with it. We were down to one programmer who busted his ass just to get EDGE working well with the full QDOOM release, but neither of use have touched EDGE in a month or more..."

Well that sucks - I might leave the doom community alltogether if nobody picks up the slack for a project designed to "give the modder full reign in the editing dimension". Because you and I both know there aint a damn project out there that has ddf-like features, or anything that allows you to create totally "new" things in it (new things as in - they dont have to replace existing ones). Hell, I would adopt the edge project but I CANNOT programme. Y'see, ive been with edge ever since it was "dosdoom" and have been waiting for it to acheive quake-like status - I would be disappointed if edge disappeared out of existance with a "poof" instead of a "bang".

-----
Kat:
Attacktypes are definatly a thing ive been waiting for - lightning, railguns, lasers, and particle effects have been on the top of my list for awhile but nobody listens

(A laser could be made as a sorta alternative projectile attack - leaves puffs behind, has impact gfx, has radius and height, etc. but it reaches the target instantly leaving behind a "trail of pearls" puff objects.)

Well plus alot of other neat attacktypes like magical transformations (morph, shrink, freeze, etc). and other quad-damage like abilities which modify already present variables.

Another thing Ive been waiting for is additivity - a fix for translucent explosions and muzzleflashes (additive is "true" translucency for bright effects). Currently Q3 and UT have additivity (explosions and projectiles).

sirgalahadwizard: Vavoom got progs. Zdoom wiull soon have Doomscript (slimmed down version of Unrealscript)

where can i get MS V C++ 6.0 (standard or PRO) or do u guys use something else to compie the code , i like EDGE too :)
i think it's better then any port , DDF RULEZ!!!! :)
i get like nice'n sweet graphs with my Voodoo Banshee 16 mb SDRAM PCI :)

Zdoom runs @ about 20-30 fps with me and 9 fps if there's a lot of dynamic lightning and coronas in da screen :)
but EDGE gives me about 40 fps , everywhere! :)

woops i mean Jdoom , not Zdoom , ZdoomGL runs up REAAAAAAAAAL slow , like 0,15 fps and when i kick the enter button in video settings i get like 30 fps??? :s

LÃœT , YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT! :)

Katgut != Kat ^_^

Anyway, uh...Just a little p1mpage for my good good good good friend Quasar here...has anyone even thought about Eternity?

I mean, okay, sure, it's only a DOS port right now and he hasn't added the functionality but he's mentioned to me (and very likely because I asked for it repeatedly) A) moving his codebase to Win32, which the majority of you use and B) adding a DDF-like functionality.

So like, keep your eyes out and stuff.

POSTING 4 TIMES IN A ROW IS COOL!!!

Damn straight it is
Damn straight it is
Damn straight it is
Damn straight it is

But...why didnt gunther just um...edit his post?

"...EDGE is pretty much done. I think everyone is tired/bored with it. We were down to one programmer who busted his ass just to get EDGE working well with the full QDOOM release, but neither of use have touched EDGE in a month or more..."

Well that sucks - I might leave the doom community alltogether if nobody picks up the slack for a project designed to "give the modder full reign in the editing dimension". Because you and I both know there aint a damn project out there that has ddf-like features, or anything that allows you to create totally "new" things in it (new things as in - they dont have to replace existing ones). Hell, I would adopt the edge project but I CANNOT programme. Y'see, ive been with edge ever since it was "dosdoom" and have been waiting for it to acheive quake-like status - I would be disappointed if edge disappeared out of existance with a "poof" instead of a "bang".

Just so you know, the invitation to join and help out with Hellstorm wasn't just to Espi - it's to all interested parties.

I dont give a hoot about shadows - I actually find them to be an annoyance (and turn them off whenever possible)

EEK!

EDGE OWNEZ! All I know is that if EDGE dies, LOL will prolly die w/ it, unless some other DOOM port pops up w/ DDF style scripting. In other words, DONT LET EDGE DIE!