Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Is JavaScript the thing that everyone is supposed to disable?

Because one group (the "best" group), in the school project is making their website with some JavaScript for things like sliding menu bars. One person in that group said that everyone should have it enabled, and if they don't, they can hardly visit any websites anyway.

Many sites use JavaScript (which by the way has nothing to do with Java). If you see <script language="javascript"> anywhere in the source, then that's a JavaScript element. Most often it's used for drop-down menus and such, but it's also used for pop-up ads.

AndrewB said:

One person in that group said that everyone should have it enabled, and if they don't, they can hardly visit any websites anyway.

That's right. I had a problem a while ago that JavaScript somehow malfunctioned, even though I had it enabled. Popup menus, drop down menus, frames and stuff like that stopped working on many sites - it wasn't fun by any means.

It seems like people are moving toward DHTML/XML menus, though, which in my mind suits just fine.

I have javascript disabled. Too many sites use it maliciously or stupidly for me to want to bother with it.

If I visit a site that requires it and that has content I really want to see, then I enable it temporarily.