Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptCanada

System Specs

Hi all

I am just wondering what the consensus on my current config is regarding running Doom 3 at say, full detail. Of course, hardware recommendations would be welcome! I am looking at replacing my mobo with an MSI Neo2 PLS 865PE mobo, P4 3.0GHT cpu, 512DDR400.

Here is my current setup
MSI 648 Max-L/SIS 648 chipset
P4 2.4B
512 DDR333
Radeon 9600 Pro running Omega 2.5.44 drivers
17" monitor
AC97 onboard sound
Creative Labs 4.1 speaker setup

Thanks all!

You won't be running D3 at full details with that. 9800 pro, 3 ghz p4 and a gig of ddr memory will allow you to run full details. Or you can get an x800 series card and run with some aa/af

Alientank said:

You won't be running D3 at full details with that. 9800 pro, 3 ghz p4 and a gig of ddr memory will allow you to run full details. Or you can get an x800 series card and run with some aa/af

Way to completely mouth off about something you know nothing about.

(In other words, your claims are bull.)

The truth is, noone really knows. It would be neat if the hardware vendors released some new Doom 3 benchmarks for us to look at.

Thanks for the info!

I hope I didnt' start a firestorm! It would be nice if Id would releases a benchmark demo before the game so ppl could get use it and see how it runs on their systems.

The benchmark demo would have to be much, maybe just a part of a level with a representation of the majority of the effects in the game. Hopefully, Valve would do something similiar, as both games are going to be THE benchmark that ppl will use.

Does anyone know if either game will include any built in benchmark demos?

Thanks again.

AndrewB said:

Way to completely mouth off about something you know nothing about.

(In other words, your claims are bull.)

Really? I know nothing? Alright, tell ya what, run the game full details 1280x1024 with that system and video card. You won't be getting playable frames most of the time. Carmack himself said before that a 2.5 ghz or equivilant or higher cpu is recommended for the physics, which he is close to, but I think some more processor power would be ideal. And that video card might need some help. I'm not talking about just running the game, I'm talking max details, at a good resolution, with no slowdowns. So no, my claims aren't bull. I notice you like to claim others are always wrong, when you have no clue yourself. You saw the anandtech benchies a while ago, they were using a 3 ghz system with a gig of memory and a 9800 pro iirc and pulling down 40-50 fps on MEDIUM detail, try MAX with a 9600 series card kthx

I'm not worried about framerates. I'll run the game at low-mid details with this configuration:

P4 2.4GHz
256MB of ram (ill upgrade)
Geforce 4 MX 420 64MB AGP (hopefully i'll get a free vid card handout at quakecon)
15" or I think 17" monitor with a 72HZ refresh rate.

I'm sure the game will run at 30fps with few frame jerks. Gotta remember that this game was made around the time geforce 3 was around. The way game dev companies and technology works is that game dev companies create their game based on current technology, and when new technology comes out (like the X800 and geforce 6800 cards) they build their new games on that. That's why carmack isnt retiring.

Besides, Carmack is the optimization master. If I wanted the game to run at high details with 60fps, the only thing I need to upgrade is probably the vid card and memory.

oh, and im sure the game will look fine at low-mid detail. I don't care as long as I get to shoot stuff.

btw, why would anyone want to play at more than 1024x768 resolution? The HUD and text would be so small.

Alientank said:

[whine]

Sour lemons. You talked faster than you could think and now you're trying to hide the fact. Your claims are bull.

Alientank said:

Really? I know nothing? Alright, tell ya what

Well, none of that really proves you actually know anything other than maybe the ctrl+c key, not to mention you telling him to play a game that isn't even out yet and actually using "ya" in a sentence.

So at best everything you say is speculation, and doesn't prove crap.

That's fine, if you don't agree with me. It's a board about opinions. When the game comes out I want him to run it on those details, so you can eat your words.

gatewatcher said:

Haha. OMG... drama...

Opinions once again. You believe what you want to, I'll believe what I want to and we'll see what happens when the game is out. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. There's no shame in it :)

gatewatcher said:

How the hell is that an opinion?

I meant it to be that IMO a system like that would be something that could most likely run the game at 1280x1024 full details steady frame rates based on the anandtech.com tests we saw with medium detail settings pushing the cards hard.

*grabs flame extinguisher*

I have a Geforce 3, 512 mb ddr, and only a 1300 series Athalon and the alpha ran fine at 800x600. By no means should one judge the alpha as a means to the final version, but considering its unoptimized, and showed no real slowdown until I spawned way too many fat zombies, it does say something. In any case, a game does not need to be run on full max settings to enjoy. I was blown away even by the sometimes suffering frame rate and lower reso. Maybee its just me.

CaptCanada, it will probably run well. Wait until the game comes out, and see gatewatcher's post.

The FAQ said:

Absolute minimum: 1Ghz+ CPU, 256MB RAM, GeForce1 or Radeon7000+ video card

Recommended: 2Ghz+ CPU, 512MB RAM, GeForce3 or Radeon 8500

Excellent: 2.5Ghz+ CPU, even more RAM, GeForce4, Radeon 9700 or higher. If you really want constant 60 fps gameplay at a high resolution, you're best off buying the latest and greatest video card just before or after the game comes out.

AndrewB, I don't see how he was "completely mouth[ing]" off until you did to him. Chill out. CaptCanada was just asking for opinions, and Alientank gave him his, and in a constructive way. At least that's how it appeared to me.

Skeletor said:

btw, why would anyone want to play at more than 1024x768 resolution? The HUD and text would be so small.

i run DOOM, Quake and Quake II at 1440x900, and i don't find it too small

I'll probably prefer to play it at a relatively low resolution, for the same reason that I prefer to play Doom in low resolutions.

oscillik said:

i run DOOM, Quake and Quake II at 1440x900, and i don't find it too small

uhhh....what port of doom are you using? 1440x900? What?

Scabbed Angel said:

CaptCanada was just asking for opinions, and Alientank gave him his, and in a constructive way.

If you consider erecting a pile of steaming dung to be constructive, then yeah, it was constructive.

Well, everything is based on speculation. I think we will all have to wait until the game ships before making any final conclusions. I am also sure that the game will be scaleable as well.

I would imagine that The Carmack would include some sort of preset config's. One for low end machines, one for medium and one for high end. That or he may have code that checks your rig's specs and makes the appropriate adjustments, which of course, can be overriden.

I may have to play Doom just to get my refelexes back in shape!

Skeletor said:

uhhh....what port of doom are you using? 1440x900? What?

I'm using Doom Legacy on my 17" PowerBook (hence the 1440x900 res)

Scabbed Angel said:

AndrewB, I don't see how he was "completely mouth[ing]" off until you did to him. Chill out. CaptCanada was just asking for opinions, and Alientank gave him his, and in a constructive way. At least that's how it appeared to me.

It's that time of the month, all he sees is red ;)

I don't see a reason to run anything above 800x600. I'm on a 17" CRT monitor...and besides that, my system (P3 933, 256 MB RAM, Geforce 4 TI) would probably only run Doom 3 at the lowest detail - and at that detail, I'm willing to bet that the Doom Guy will look like one of the zombies.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

I don't see a reason to run anything above 800x600. I'm on a 17" CRT monitor...and besides that, my system (P3 933, 256 MB RAM, Geforce 4 TI) would probably only run Doom 3 at the lowest detail - and at that detail, I'm willing to bet that the Doom Guy will look like one of the zombies.

I don't think that 933mhz will run doom3 because ut2004 need atleast a gig, and lowest settings are really bad even then, hell even civ3 needs 900mhz.

I am trying to get into a 800 fsb mobo as cheaply as I can. Any recommendations? Remember I live in Canada, so be gentle with me on the price!

I have found an Abit board here in Canada for $105.95 so I may go with that one.
Any recommendations as to type/make of ram?