Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thesmellyone 2

DOOM vs Marathon

Thesmellyone 2 said:

Another of my opinions: You are a pompous, arogant veteran witha closed mind to anything you yourself do not support.

Same for you.
Oh, and I never ever heard of Marathon until now, instead, I heard about DOOM since 1994.
And what are you doing here? This is a forum about DOOM, if Marathon is that good as you say, I'm sure that you'll find a lot of forums dedicated to it. Try to calm down and acept that we prefer DOOM.

I've always wanted to get a Marathon weapons mod for Doom, because I love the weapon designs in Marathon (2/Infinity, not the first one). I'd like Marathon a lot more, except Aleph One is a pain to set up, and Basilisk II isn't much better.

what do you mean by Doom's 16-bit "as far as graphics are concerned", anyway? Doom on the PC is 32-bit code, full stop - it won't run on a 286. SNES Doom used a completely different engine written from scratch for the SNES. The graphics are 8-bit in that they're 256 colour.

Oh, ok, I accept that. However unlike someone previously suggested: there is not one single decent Marathon board on the net I've found so far...

I know I may sound pretty damn arogant but I just can't stand by and watch people just a) flame it, b) say DOOM is better before trying Marathon and c) act like I don't like DOOM. I love DOOM. I seriously adore DOOM and have all of the Mac versions, the Gameboy DOOM 1 and started my own DOOM walkthrough. I just prefer Marathon and would like to see if anyone else on the net likes it too. If you're all accusing me of DOOM-based hate-crimes just for prefering something else then whoever says that is an idiot.

I'd try Marathon if there was a pc version.

Since I haven't tried it, I can't really comment on how good it is.

Thesmellyone 2 said:

Nirvana's anthem: Smells Like Teen Spirit
My anthem: Smells Like Close-minded DOOM Fans

And what did you expect the people here to do, to praise that POS game and to say it's better, or in the fact, as you happen to say, "slightly better" than doom?
Get real.

Thesmellyone 2 said:

Nirvana's anthem: Smells Like Teen Spirit
My anthem: Smells Like Close-minded DOOM Fans

And my respect for you is slowly turning non-existent.
Wtf do you expect of us? To rush out and buy a Mac JUST so we can try Marathon to please your ass?

Moron.

It's amazing how every time you think you've encountered the greatest possible idiot, an even worse one appears...

though it had a better engine, i prefer doom. its 100% action and after all there is gonna be "Action Doom!" i dont see an "Action Marathon!" i always thought that the spirits and stuff in marathon where a bit cartoonish, however most of those early "doom-clones" where. only a handful didnt have that cartoonish feel, doom being one (though even doom has moments where some things look a bit cartoonish).

i own marathon, but it is on an old mac, which i need a new monitor for.

however i was wrong about the source. i am surprised there aren't any ports (or many)

I remember both games and the sequels when they first came out. My friend at the time was a diehard mac fan. I remember him buying it, marathon and doom for his mac. Reading the booklet I was blown away by marathon and thought it was a total doom killer, when he loaded the thing and I played it, i turned it off and loaded up his mac doom. i like the graphics in marathon, but it seemed a bit dull.

Thesmellyone 2 said:

Oh, ok, I accept that. However unlike someone previously suggested: there is not one single decent Marathon board on the net I've found so far...

May be is because it sucks, or the guys who play it are like you, that would explain imo.

The second marathon game was available for the pc but Quake2* was released at around the same time. The same thing happened to strife, good game but badly timed.

* not 100% sure about the release dates

Well, i tried Marathon 1.

The fact is: the game is NOT crap. The gaphics are very comic style. I may not like this. DooM animation are better, but Marathon sprites are HUGE. Thats good, but with lesser frames.

I cannot play it properly with win98 full screen (crash a lot) Maybe on winxp...

But please, dont talk without giving a shot. Its not a bad game. I still like DooM, but this game is like Hacx (or Hecx? lol) but with more history.

My two cents...

Good on ya for giving it a shot! What I'm trying to say to everyone is not to go out and buy a Mac, but to not judge a game taht you haven't even palyed and worst of all force that opinion on everyone else. I don't mind if no one here has played Marathon, I only give a crap if they then say DOOM is better without palying Marathon, not even saying they just think DOOM's better. There is a huge line between opinion and fact which most people here have ignored. I'm not saying Marathon is better, I'm saying you can't say DOOM is better without playing Marathon. If you say "yeah, I played marathon and I prefer DOOM" I would congratulate them for at least giving it a go. Its the b******s who say "I haven't played Marathon but its crap and DOOM's better" taht I have something against. So if you haven't played Marathon don't say its bad. f you have played marathon then by all means say its bad. Otherwise, just STFU and go hug Stalin (who, like those of you who hate what you haven't tried, forced opinions on people).

Hey what about that Peter Heinmann guy that used to post here, didn't he make a marathon doom wad or something or other?

Epyo said:

Hey what about that Peter Heinmann guy that used to post here, didn't he make a marathon doom wad or something or other?

ey, the last night I MADE a marathon DooM.... 7 horus....

(ok, was a bad joke...)

Technically speaking its illegal, as Bungie are very stingy with abandonware, to get the levels for free...Your best bet is a real cheap 10 Tons Of Fun compilation pack for teh Mac which has it and 9 other games (some, like Myth good, others bad). Admittedly you could probably find slightly less legal ways of acquiring the files.

Coopersville said:

I pick Doom. I had never even heard of Marathon until now.

The games sounds interesting, I'll try it.

EDIT: Doesn't work on XP.

Yes it does.

JacKThERiPPeR said:

You know what? Marathon sucks an ASS.

I like the way he put it.

I even played it, long time ago. Oh god, I walked up a corridor then saw a few baddies.... Then I just said this sucks.

If you ask me I prefer Oregon Trail for the Mac, over Marathon.

Sephiroth said:

though it had a better engine, i prefer doom. its 100% action and after all there is gonna be "Action Doom!" i dont see an "Action Marathon!" i always thought that the spirits and stuff in marathon where a bit cartoonish, however most of those early "doom-clones" where. only a handful didnt have that cartoonish feel, doom being one (though even doom has moments where some things look a bit cartoonish).

Sephiroth makes a powerful argument.

I have an old mac and would be willing to give it a shot if I can get hold of a copy.

Marathon and Doom are both awseome games for their times (and still are!)

As people have mentioned already Marathon was a more story driven FPS, more atmospheric and generally a better engine than Doom had.

On the otherhand I still perferred Doom because I just perferd the non-stop action that it provided.

If you want to read up a bit more on this classic here are a few reviews:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/marathon2/review.html
http://www.game-revolution.com/games/pc/action/mar2.htm

To any Mac owners: Most download sites for Macs have either Marathon or Marathon 2 demos. Or try to find the excellent 10 Tons Of Fun pack

"As far as graphics go DOOM is 16-bit."

Doom is 8 bit graphics running on a 32 bit processor. Handling 16 bit graphics in real time would require large amounts of ram/processing power that most people didnt have at the time(the higher spectrum of 486s definatly could-with proper coding in a sprite based game).

wolfenstein 3d - 8 bit
doom - 8 bit
doom 2 - 8 bit
quake 1 - 8 bit (8 bit because graphics were still done in software - people complained about the terrible palette but it was a hardware limitation due to how lighting was calculated back then.)
quake 2 - 16 bit
quake 3 - 32 bit
doom 3 - 32 bit

Out of all the game engines ever released using id tech, Half Life was the most interesting game/engine - it was basically a modified quake 1 engine with *some* quake 2 upgrades that ran 32 bit colors. For performance purposes it was one of the worst game engines ever created(other than level load times). Unreal, a much better looking game, released nearly a year before half-life was substantially better looking then hl and ran better.

Thesmellyone 2 said:

... I only give a crap if they then say DOOM is better without palying Marathon, not even saying they just think DOOM's better.

What the fuck are you talking about!?

NO ONE WOULD HAVE EVER SAID DOOM WAS BETTER CAUSE FUCKING MARATHON WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN MENTIONED IF YOU HADN'T STARTED THIS THREAD!