Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ragnew

Is there a way to have coop monsters added to single player games?

Hey guys,

Yes, I know this is the wrong forum, but I know this would be the forum that would be my best bet to getting an answer....

Does anyone here know how to get coop monsters added into a single player game?

I was wanting to play some Plutonia Experiment, and I thought it would be cool to try to get through the coop monsters in a one player mode...

Thanks guys,

- Rich

Well, you could host a coop game with a password or on your network, or you could go through every level and click on every enemy and untoggle the MULTI option if it is for multiplayer.
But you probably wouldn't do that.

Thanks Lutrov71,

Damn, I know Vince did a Doom 2 complete game demo with coop monsters added to the single player mode.

I've shot him an email so hopefully I'll get a reponse from him soon. But if not... What the Hell it was worth a try.

Right On!! As always, thanks Graz!! I appreciate it man. Time to see if I can get this guy to work....

Should be interesting... :)

BTW - If you want to, you can ditch this thread now... I appreciate you letting it stay up here.

:( - Its a bum deal man... I can't get it to run on XP... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again Grazza - you rock man.

Pl22's pretty damn tough eh? See, thats why I'd love to see these maps with their coop monsters.. But "NOOO"!!

I've been trying a few things, with no luck. It might help if I'd ever played multi-player or knew anything at all about networking. :p

Vince mentioned a while ago that Plutonia map22 is insane for coop.

Yeah, I just got to play Plutonia using the legacy launcher!!! I had to be online though... Once your online select multiplayer (with whatever options you want) and hit okay...

I saw what Vince was talking about in map22... There is no way (in my opinion) that this map will EVER be done in coop mode...

Its crazy, simply crazy.

prboom_server -N 1 -s 4

prboom -net localhost

It's all in README.command-line.txt

Ah... I'd tried that method, but didn't know to use "localhost".

Edit: just tested it with Vince's 30fanet1, and it played back fine.

prboom_server -N 1 -s 4
glboom -net localhost -playdemo 30fanet1
That was with Budko's version, so I could fast forward and skip maps (useful with such a long demo).

It seems you found your answer :)

Legacy can do it easy too. Use the launcher to start a multiplayer game. And just specify that only 1 player will be there.
You can also do it with the in-game menu.

I could do fake coop with doom2.exe under WinXP (dunno about 2K).
- Start a DOS command line
- go to your doom directory
- launch the FAKENET drivers (you can find it in the fdgmdemo.zip link provided b4)
- launch your IPXSETUP with "-nodes 1" and all the commands you want

ragnew said:

I saw what Vince was talking about in map22... There is no way (in my opinion) that this map will EVER be done in coop mode...
Its crazy, simply crazy.

yeah, and that's very sad, I would be for tweaking these kind of maps. (like TNT31.wad fix).
Giving players at least a megasphere, a BFG and a load of cells would do it. Or removing the Archviles and adding shells to own the cybers.

Presumably they didn't expect people to play from pistol starts. Or maybe back then coop tended to be played kind of like DM - if you die, you just respawn, and carry on. That seemed to be the case in some old coop demos I have seen.

Richie: I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious here, but if you want to set a complevel in Prboom in multi-player mode, you need to do it via the server, and by pointing it towards your config file ("-c prboom.cfg"), and choosing your default compatibility accordingly. It's pretty obvious if you've forgotten to do this, since you get weapon recoil and stuff.

BTW, congrats on the 30cm, Vince+Xit. I must get some popcorn ready...

Grazza said:

Presumably they didn't expect people to play from pistol starts. Or maybe back then coop tended to be played kind of like DM - if you die, you just respawn, and carry on. That seemed to be the case in some old coop demos I have seen.

yeah, I remember the H2H coop demos, that was cool stuff.
They used deathes because it teleports you back to the start, which in some maps save time. And also gives you full health :)

I still wonder how pl22, ev28 and possibly other maps could be done in coop w/o dying.

BTW, congrats on the 30cm, Vince+Xit. I must get some popcorn ready...

This demo took quite some tries, mainly because of the impossibility to know if we killed everything (incomplete stats screen).
The routes are much better than DL's or Kai's, a lot less dull moments. But still it's just a so-so demos, some maps are complete crap.
I'd say that under an hour would be a very nice time.

So far I've watched up to map16, from your viewpoint. The routes certainly look excellent - you seem to be busy the whole time. I liked the close-call healthwise in map11, but presumably you didn't at the time. :P

Thanks for all the replies guys... I appreciate it.

Vince : Kind of a stupid question here man, but is this the command line I would type from the prboom directory to get into a single player with multi monsters added...

fakenet ipxpd -nodes 1 -file plutonia -skill 4

yeah, I'm not too terribly bright when it comes to this whole thing... Hehe, but maybe you'll be able to shed some light on the matter...

I tried Myk's commandline to get the game going but it always hung up at the point where it (prboom) was looking for a network game. This was the command line I typed...

prboom -net localhost -file plutonia -warp 32 -skill 4

I was wondering if I was just way off at the cmd lines, or was it something else?

Thanks again guys.

OK, I'll answer the prboom question...

The skill level and map (and any pwads) need to be specified via the command line for the server. You can't do so via the second command line - there you're just a player joining the game, and can't set the "rules". However, you can specify the iwad from there.

Anyway, what you need to record a demo on Plutonia map32 on UV with coop monsters as a single player (you madman!) in Prboom is:

prboom_server.exe -c prboom.cfg -N 1 -s 4 -l 32
prboom -iwad plutonia.wad -net localhost -record i_am_mad
or
prboom_server.exe -c prboom.cfg -N 1 -s 4 -l 32 -w plutonia.wad
prboom -net localhost -record i_am_mad
The former uses Plutonia as the iwad; the latter uses it as a pwad. I've tested both these, and they work for me. Make sure your prboom.cfg has the settings you prefer (including compatibility level).

Just to clarify: you need two separate command lines - one to start the server, and then one to join it as a player.

Hey Grazza,

Your awesome man... Hehe just a few more questions (yeah, I know, will it ever end... :) ).

Okay, so I need to have two different lines in this commandline? How would I be able to enter the commandline below the first one (does that make sense)? When I just typed it I used the space bar to get to the second line... Is that right?

This is where my system hung up, and this is the exact message I got.

"Listening on Port 5030 waiting for 1 player"
"Wad plutonia.wad <>"

Does that make any sense to you?

Thanks again... hehe. Yeah, I'm a pain in the ass... :)

ragnew said:

Okay, so I need to have two different lines in this commandline? How would I be able to enter the commandline below the first one (does that make sense)? When I just typed it I used the space bar to get to the second line... Is that right?

No. You execute the first (type it in and then press OK), and then a window pops up for the server. You leave that as it is, and then execute the second command line.

I'm assuming you're doing this with "Start - Run". Alternatively you could do it using two batch files. Like these (run the first, and then run the second).

er, so how woud one go about playing back that 30 fake coop run on prboom? i can playdemo it but it desynchs almost instantly.

To run doom2.exe with 1 player and coop bonuses :
- get the fakenet package from fdgmdemo.zip
- unzip all the files fakenet.zip into your doom directory
- start a DOS command line (the big black box with white caracters)
- go to your doom directory (within this DOS box)
- type : fakenet (tell me if it shows any error messages, on my comp. it does not)
- type : ipxsetup -nodes 1 -skill 4 -file plutonia.wad -record plutnet1 -maxdemo 3000
(you don't need -file plutonia.wad if you are using fdoom's exe with plutonia.exe)

I had no problems doing that with my computer. I don't know if having network capacity helps (my laptop has a RJ45 plug).

Btw, under XP, my doom2.exe game is always slightly laggy. Even when I remove sound and music. Do you think it could be related to the bad VGA support of my video card ? Anyone can help ?
Back in the days some video cards had crappy VGA (when they started to get 3D acceleration in fact). I remember that the 3D blaster (virge 2000 chip) had real bad VGA. Doom was slower than on a Mystique (on same CPU).

riight, the trick, which yopu didnt explain clearly enough for me to figure out at first and which i'll now point out for the REALLY dumb including myself is: you need TWO command lines running. one to run the server then a second to execute the game proper. i was trying to do it in one go with a batch files.... that's two totally seperate msdos prompt windows. seperately. two

AdamW said:

Doom under XP always feels a bit wrong, in my experience.

I guess that's inherent to XP and not my computer then...
That sux... It does not play right with that lag.
Do not expect serious Compet-N demos from me for a while.

Graz and Vince : Thanks for the replies guys!!! This is too damn fun running through some of these levels with multiplayer monsters!!! Its definitely a HELLUVA lot harder then the original maps... :)

So far, I'd have to say map32 of plutonia is my favorite...

Hard as hell on your own, but also very very fun at the same time.

I think I have a -fast coop 1 player demo of plutonia map32. But it's in france :)
I did it when I was in Norway, most people were only playing DM, Diablo2 and other stuff, so me and selim where playing together most if the time, a thing we could have done in France...

VinceDSS said:

To run doom2.exe with 1 player and coop bonuses :

Does running this, also make you respawn with monsters you've killed already still dead, and still have the weapons and ammo you've picked up alreay?

Thanks