Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkhaven4

HACX-related DEH questions...

I no longer have my original HACX.DEH patch anymore, but I was interested in some of the effects that they pulled off by DEH tricks and some other non-DEH related tricks; Below is a list of questions if anyone can answer them...

How did they do a double-barreled pistol?*

How did they do the "blast-range" things, e.g. breakable glass?

How did they pull off the "reloadable" Uzi?*

How did they turn the screen blue instead of white (invincibility)?

Add new switch textures? (if they did in fact do this...)

*=
Pistol...Maybe done by linking to another zero-duration frame with the Frame 15(IIRC) Code Pointer?

"Reloadable" Uzi...Maybe Plasmagun style recoil frames?

Darkhaven4 said:

I no longer have my original HACX.DEH patch anymore, but I was interested in some of the effects that they pulled off by DEH tricks and some other non-DEH related tricks; Below is a list of questions if anyone can answer them...

I don't have the DEH patch but here's my guesses:

How did they do a double-barreled pistol?*

*=
Pistol...Maybe done by linking to another zero-duration frame with the Frame 15(IIRC) Code Pointer?

Most likely.

How did they do the "blast-range" things, e.g. breakable glass?

AFAIK the breakable glass is a shootable thing that is invisible in its normal state bus has the glass sprites in its death sequence

The inverted color is a special color translation range in the COLORMAP lump. By replacing this you can create other effects. With ZDoom this doesn't work though because ZDoom creates its own translation table for this.

Add new switch textures? (if they did in fact do this...)

They didn't. You can fake more switches by putting more than one on one texture. Switch1 from x=0 to x=63, switch2 from x=64 to x=127 and so on. Hacx did it a little differently. Their switch textures only contained the actual switch without the surrounding wall (normal size 16x16 or 32x32) so they were able to put a lot of switches into one texture.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I'd have to load up the DEH in Dehacked and tear it up, but here's what I recollect:

Q. How did they do a double-barreled pistol?

A. I think this used a second zero timed frame for the second bullet (as you suspected).

Q. How did they do the "blast-range" things, e.g. breakable glass?

A. These are the same as a barrel. They have low "health" and their death frames look like something that breaks.

Q. How did they pull off the "reloadable" Uzi?*

A. It doesn't "reload". The frame after firing points to the reload animation versus to the idle/bob frame. Fire one shot, and it "reloads".

Q. How did they turn the screen blue instead of white (invincibility)?

A. Change the colourmaps. Look in the editors section here at DOOM World.

Q. Add new switch textures? (if they did in fact do this...)

A. I think we just recycled existing switches, nothing fancy here.

Load HACX.DEH without the wad and you'll notice that 1. certain decorative things are shootable and die with a couple shots 2. the pointers for some frames from the pistol's recoil animation were placed right after the chaingun's firing frames, thereby creating a double-barreled pistol and "reloadable" Uzi.

Darkhaven4 said:

It's blue? Dammit Randy, executable hacks need to work COMPLETELY before you can call it DEH support!

This is the part where everybody realizes that the n00b doesn't know jack about editing.
Actually, that's a bit misleading, since I can do some DeHackEd, primarily editing the frame durations (easy) and strings (any two-year-old can do that).