Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

Doom soundtrack (original)

Yo everyone,

I've been getting into music of Doom a bit recently, after I realised how poorly my soundcard outputs Doom's MUS files. I did a bit of snooping around and discovered those high-quality MP2 files on Doomworld (the ones outputted from high-end Roland sound hardware).

I use ZDoom, and managed to integrate the MP2 tracks into the game by renaming each track to it's corresponding lump in the Doom WAD (some repeated here and there as I found out). Wow! I enjoy playing Doom more than ever with this new and improved soundtrack. Personally, the music in Doom plays a really big part in the whole experience - even though I know most people prefer to turn it off or listen to something else, I think the music really suits most of the levels it's assigned to.

I've got Robert Prince's Doom Music CDROM (ordered from Amazon years ago when they were still on sale), and I'm currently inserting these into my current soundtrack. These are better, as they're in stereo and are higher quality.

I noticed during my research that this guy (http://sycraft.org/content/audio/doom.shtml) has some versions of the soundtrack of his own. Has anyone had a chance to try these out? And if so, are they any good?

And also, how do you prefer your Doom music? Mixed directly from the MUS files using your soundcard's MIDI output; the Doomworld MP2's; Prince's Doom Music etc...

The sycraft pack is alright, but I prefer the ones done by some dude named "Ashley". You can get them at Doomsdayhq.com in files sections.

I'd like to hear the original bobby prince score. I wonder what it's like.

Dittohead said:

I'd like to hear the original bobby prince score. I wonder what it's like.

If you get yourself the Roland MP2s available on Doomworld and you'll have a good idea. The CD sounds exactly the same as these, apart from the fact they are in stereo and have slightly more clarity. All instruments etc. are the same as far as I can tell.

On the CD there's a special version of "Running From Evil" which mixes in Doom sounds like imp roars, shotgun blasts, door openings etc. which is pretty neat, but I wouldn't use it ingame (too distracting :))

The CD doesn't contain ALL Doom & Doom II tracks, but has most of them (20 in total). Definitely worth getting hold of if you can.

Dittohead: Apparently you haven't visited Doomworld's Doom Music Remixes page, where Ashley Carr's mixes originated. Someone by the name of Kinkiness has also redone Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom's score.

Carr and Kinkiness's collections differ from this one at Sycraft.org in that they are remixes, not just the same old songs with new instruments and mastering.

Bloodshedder said:

Dittohead: Apparently you haven't visited Doomworld's Doom Music Remixes page, where Ashley Carr's mixes originated. Someone by the name of Kinkiness has also redone Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom's score.

Very cool stuff. I enjoy the Jehovah Gyra remix of e1m1.