Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Cube Is Not for Squares

Doom news seems to be a little slow, so here's something equally as cool. Aardappel has released a new version of his Cube Engine, which includes a large amount of new single player and deathmatch maps by Marc "Fanatic" Pullen, Kurt Kesler, and some others. Fanatic has also produced a brand new soundtrack for the game as well, plus there have been several engine improvements.

I don't think I've ever actually tried out Cube. Guess this would be a good time to try.

<rf`> awesome i come back from yardwork to see aard my god has been busy

I hope "engine improvements" means it'll STILL work on my 300MHz Pentium II / 256 MB PC133 / 16 MB ATI Rage/XPert 128, and perhaps even faster. I was quite impressed by that working even though I'm running resource-hungry Windows XP, Symantec Client Security, SpywareGuard, and Trillian all in the background at any given time.

cube r0x0rzz

Ultraviolet said:

I hope "engine improvements" means it'll STILL work on my 300MHz Pentium II / 256 MB PC133 / 16 MB ATI Rage/XPert 128, and perhaps even faster. I was quite impressed by that working even though I'm running resource-hungry Windows XP, Symantec Client Security, SpywareGuard, and Trillian all in the background at any given time.

cube r0x0rzz

That has to be one of the worst combinations of programs you could possibly have running on a 300mhz Pentium 2 :P

Very nice, but I wish there was a way to turn that %£*#@ mouselook off. If God had meant us to mouselook he'd have given us an "m" key :-)

There seem to be no "mouserotatedleft" or whatever to bind to actions, nor indeed any "turnleftonthespot" action to bind it to ("left" is actually *strafe*-left).

Otherwise, a nice piece of work.

Not running for me... it freezes up and I can't read the error message either, I have to ctrl-alt-del to close 'er, and the error message is somewhere in the background.

Where's the point in not using mouse look? It's supposed to be used.

I'd also like to point out that a first version of Sauerbraten has been released yesterday. It's based on Cube, but can do room-over-room (simply put).

boris said:

Where's the point in not using mouse look? It's supposed to be used.

Sure, but when I want it to be. The "natural" response to "mouse moves forwards" is "player moves forwards". If I want to mouselook I press the "m" key in most games. The Dredd vs Death demo had this problem -- there seems to be a "mouselook mafia" out there somewhere :-) In many games one can configure the controls, but it seems that in Cube you cannot (at least not fully); pity, because I was quite impressed with it otherwise.

Wouter is truly an amazing person: I spent years waiting for things like coop edit and live editing to make their way into doom, and aard comes along and writes an _entirely new game_ with it all in which blows me away.

boris: I thought saurbraten has been out for a while?

Sauerbraten had existed as a page on the site, but development stagnated. Aard hasn't actually released anything until just recently.

Jon said:

Wouter is truly an amazing person: I spent years waiting for things like coop edit and live editing to make their way into doom, and aard comes along and writes an _entirely new game_ with it all in which blows me away.

Well, that was certainly easier than integrating it into doom :)
Coopedit with classical doom editing 2d view wouldn't be as much fun, we have to wait until there is a 100% 3d editor for doom. I was gonna write one at some point but got... distracted :P

I still dont get it... naming an engine after a meal o.o
Ok, as i like Sauerbraten, i´ll have a watch over it.
Maybee its even useable for commercial games ;)