Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

Original proposed art for Doom 2 box

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums, although I've been reading 'em for quite some time.

http://www.eclipsesoftware.co.nz/dm2box.jpg

Here's my first contribution, it's the alleged original box art for DOOM II which was eventually changed. I reckon it looks pretty sweet, but I can understand why id went with the final version as it's depiction of the cyberdemon is more true to the game.

I've done a bit of research into this image and can't find any mention of it anywhere on the 'net. I scanned it from an OLD issue of a PC games magazine (which has since ceased publication) which had a preview of DOOM II in it. So I believe it's pretty rare. I did an awful job of editing out the white text that was printed over the image (give me some credit, I was about 12 at the time :) but came out pretty well.

By the way, this preview article also included some photos of the original DOOM II clay models used in the game (Mancubus, Revanant, Baron, Spidey etc.). I can put these up as well if there's any interest.

Anyway, I'd like to know what you guys think. Should id have gone with the above version of the Doom II box? I think they made the right choice, but this piece of art is still awesome to look at.

EDIT: Print of artwork available here...
http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=88

Not really that cool, but that's just me. Look at the demon's face - it looks like a pug's face with horns (a small puppy). Also, look at the rocket launcher... what the hell is it shooting? Lazers? Bullets? Whatever it is, that's no damn rocket.

But yeah, post the other stuff. Might be pretty cool.

Trilinear said:

By the way, this preview article also included some photos of the original DOOM II clay models used in the game (Mancubus, Revanant, Baron, Spidey etc.). I can put these up as well if there's any interest.

Please do. This image is nice but really silly at the same time, though I'd like to see anything else you might have. Welcome to the forums btw :)

i've seen that image, i think it was also used on the cover of CGW back in the day. i think i have that issue, come to think of it.

mewse said:

i've seen that image, i think it was also used on the cover of CGW back in the day. i think i have that issue, come to think of it.

Yep it was indeed, saw it at the same time I bought my mag. Chose mine because the pages were larger (i.e. bigger pic) :)

dittohead said:

Not really that cool, but that's just me.

Yeah? That marine looks better than the final one I reckon. And don't get me started on his haircut... (we've been through this, I know).

sargebaldy said:

I'd like to see anything else you might have

Yep, will scan some more tonight if I can find the mag in question.

Right, well I've found the magazine, but I won't have access to a scanner until later this evening.

In the mean time, check this out:
http://www.vincentguastiniproductions.com/doom.html

Some conceptual sketches and a couple of models for monsters for the scrapped Doom movie a while ago. Most of 'em don't look too hot, but the Mancubus seems pretty cool.

OK, here are the shots...

http://www.eclipsesoftware.co.nz/doomstuff/rev_baron.jpg
http://www.eclipsesoftware.co.nz/doomstuff/archville.jpg
http://www.eclipsesoftware.co.nz/doomstuff/spid_manc.jpg
http://www.eclipsesoftware.co.nz/doomstuff/spider.jpg

Best one is the last one - a close up of the Spider Mastermind, great detail.

Sorry for the less-than-great quality folks, the photos were quite small.

OK looks like just the Baron is made of clay, or some kind of clay-like modeling material. The others appear to be latex, and some metal pieces.

Huh. I'm amazed by the amount of detail on these models that just got blurred out in the digitizing process. Doom95 should've had hires sprites with extra animation frames.

Numbermind said:

Huh. I'm amazed by the amount of detail on these models that just got blurred out in the digitizing process. Doom95 should've had hires sprites with extra animation frames.

Yep that's a good point. If only someone with enough motivation could get hold of those models again and do exactly that (increased resolution and animation), and perhaps additional angles to each character sprite.

By comparing the models to the final sprites, you can see that they added certain things to them using graphic editing programs. Such as the black metal "knees" on the Spider Mastermind, in contrast to the (much cooler) exposed wires and hinges of the model. If someone were to digitise them again, these aspects would need attending to as well.

Although I read in an id article some time ago that one of Spidey's legs broke off and got lost :(

Wow cool pictures. So the monsters came from these models? Heh, it's amazing how you can learn something new about DOOM even after its tenth anniversary...

BTW I like your idea of hi-rezzing the monsters. Coupled with ZDOOM's Scale function, you could implement the hi-rez sprites into the game. I don't know if it's possible to create more angles; that seems pretty hard-coded to me.

But if someone could get ahold of those models, we could start a cool new project!

Trilinear said:

Yeah? That marine looks better than the final one I reckon. And don't get me started on his haircut... (we've been through this, I know).

Heh, it's the opposite with me - I think the haircut in the final title pic was kickass; really made the marine look like the badass he is instead of that goody-boy haircut the ingame hud face had.

Also, the final pic is awesome with that flying bandolier and the cyberdemon towering above the Doomguy (even if it looks like it's only the size of a Baron). It also looked much less cartoonish than this one, but hey, thanks for the pic anyway (and thanks for those clay model pics too); it's still kinda interesting (though the cybie looks like ass).

Edit: ARGH! The Doomguy doesn't wear gloves on that pic and wtf is up with those "wrist bands"?

That box picture looks.. interesting, to say the least. I think the one used in the actual game is better. Just the look on that CyberDemon's face is.. uh.. not good.

Those clay models look really nice, although the arch-vile's head is quite odd looking.

Wow thank god they changed that. It has a certain "cheesy" look to it that they must have wanted to avoid.

That cover art reminds me a great deal of Super Contra III: The Alien Wars somehow.

dsm said:

Heh, it's the opposite with me - I think the haircut in the final title pic was kickass; really made the marine look like the badass he is instead of that goody-boy haircut the ingame hud face had.

What? Nerd.

So that's how the enemy sprites were made... and I used to think they were drawn..
Hmmm.. The box cover looks nice.

http://www.eclipsesoftware.co.nz/doomstuff/spider.jpg

At such a higher resolution he looks a bit like Krang from the old TMNT cartoon...

Cool stuff. Good thing the Arch-Vile lost some head details... on the sprites it gives a skullish impression; on the scultpture the head looks kind of stupid... we were already familiar with it from the large cardboard rendition at the id HQ.

WOW just WOW. You made my day Trilinear, I was getting so desparate to see these I was about to start a petition. I like the take on the Demon from the movie thingy. I do still beleave that the head looks a bit like that of a dog's. The Mancubus skeatch looks awesome, reminds me of a turtle a bit. The rest are all cool Thanks again.

-Nat