Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

X-Box vid Unrecognised Enemy

Hope this hasn't been posted befor but on xbox e3 quicktime vid 1 minute 36 seconds in , pause vid and frame by frame through it using cursor keys on keyboard. You will see an enemy that doesn't look familiar at all to me.......anyone else see this.....Don't think it's the bird man.......is it the arch-vile?

At about 1:36? I think it's an imp, if I'm looking at what you're refering to.

DoomUK said:

At about 1:36? I think it's an imp, if I'm looking at what you're refering to.

Doom 3's imp doesn't have two yellow, glowing eyes - it has eight or ten red spider eyes.
This could be the "Mantis" demon also appearing at 1:40-41, since it has yellow eyes.

dsm said:

Doom 3's imp doesn't have two yellow, glowing eyes - it has eight or ten red spider eyes.
This could be the "Mantis" demon also appearing at 1:40-41, since it has yellow eyes.

You're right, it is the Mantis demon. There's actually a few shots of this creature from 1:30 onwards.

Personally I think we've been seeing too many bipedal humanoid creatures. Bring on the weird, cool designs we know the id artists are capable of coming up with.

Yeah, come to think of it, the imps could practically be humans running around in black jumpsuits. I hope they're aren't too many of the trites or baby bees... i hate pesky monsters. And where are the monsters with fucking goat legs?? I need my biblical references to hell please! God, i'm hoping we see the Caco too. I hope its just a big bloody piece of the most horrible festering flesh with an evil eyeball in it. That's the kind of sick and twisted imagery that will make Doom3 live up to its name.

edit: i realized what i was really looking for.

Crix said:

God, i'm hoping we see the Caco too. I hope its just a big bloody piece of the most horrible festering flesh with an evil eyeball in it. That's the kind of sick and twisted imagery that will make Doom3 live up to its name.

The Cacodemon is in, but supposedly totally different.

It was described as NOT being "a flying killer tomato" (but don't worry, it still floats) and that it had multiple eyes whatever that means.
It also spits lost souls (I'm guessing it's an ability it has in addition to its regular attack, otherwise it's just not the cacodemon, but the Pain Elemental instead).

dsm said:

The Cacodemon is in, but supposedly totally different.

It was described as NOT being "a flying killer tomato" (but don't worry, it still floats) and that it had multiple eyes whatever that means.
It also spits lost souls (I'm guessing it's an ability it has in addition to its regular attack, otherwise it's just not the cacodemon, but the Pain Elemental instead).

dear god... don't "kill" the Caco..... if id did, i am going to pwn'd them! I love the old caco

I really hope the Cacodemon isn't another gray monster with multiple eyes or whatever. DON'T DO IT ID!!! DON'T RUIN MY CACO!

If it is then I will just have to wait for someone to model a "classic" Caco and replace the in-game model. Cartoony my ass!!!1

Linguica said:

I really hope the Cacodemon isn't another gray monster with multiple eyes or whatever. DON'T DO IT ID!!! DON'T RUIN MY CACO!

Id: "Yeah, let's totally rewamp the Caco by turning it into a pain elemental, making it a boring gray color and giving it lots of evil eyes placed all around it, including in its ass. Oh and lets give it tits and add cybernetic implants all over it - that'll teach those pesky fanboys, mwahahahahaaaa!"

Crix said:

Yeah, come to think of it, the imps could practically be humans running around in black jumpsuits. I hope they're aren't too many of the trites or baby bees... i hate pesky monsters. And where are the monsters with fucking goat legs?? I need my biblical references to hell please! God, i'm hoping we see the Caco too. I hope its just a big bloody piece of the most horrible festering flesh with an evil eyeball in it. That's the kind of sick and twisted imagery that will make Doom3 live up to its name.

edit: i realized what i was really looking for.

My thoughts exactly. Pesky enemies really suck. Just as long as they are no where near as bad as the mesquitos in Daikatana.

It's the gollum-wannabe on 1:58 that makes me wonder what surprises Id's got in store for us.

I'm still waiting to see something in cloven hooves, and the new cacodemon.

I remember seeing that. It's the new Demon Baby. It looks like a chubby little baby with sharp teeth, yellow eyes, and insect-like wings. It's suppose to be a new demon that ID made to mess with your heads because they think you'd have a hard time shooting a baby. But, if a baby had yellow eyes, fangs, and insect wings.....I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. I don't think ID has released the name of that demon yet. The only NEW enemy that they've released the name of is thw Trite I believe. I could be forgetting a few... But anyways, that was the demon you saw.

S1lent said:

I don't think ID has released the name of that demon yet.

I believe they have. They're called cherubs.

edit: That was the flying baby things i was talking about, not the gollum wannabe.

That wasn't a cherub. That was something new. Very bland and unimpressive too.

S1lent said:

I remember seeing that. It's the new Demon Baby. It looks like a chubby little baby with sharp teeth, yellow eyes, and insect-like wings. It's suppose to be a new demon that ID made to mess with your heads because they think you'd have a hard time shooting a baby. But, if a baby had yellow eyes, fangs, and insect wings.....I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. I don't think ID has released the name of that demon yet. The only NEW enemy that they've released the name of is thw Trite I believe. I could be forgetting a few... But anyways, that was the demon you saw.

Bullshit, the baby appearance of the Cherub (and yes, that's its name) is exactly what makes it cool.

Not that I hate babies (my brother has a really cute little baby girl who's just adorable), but I like disturbing enemies. Like, babies are weak and helpless, and then you're assaulted by this little fucker who looks weak and helpless (and cute in a disturbingly frightening way) and you're like "Aaarrrgghhh, die you little twit!"

Personally, I think the Cherub looks like the most interesting Doom 3 monster thus far.

That wasn't a cherub. That was something new. Very bland and unimpressive too.

Yes, if any Doom 3 monster struck me as boring and generic it's this Gollum thing - looks like it'd fit better in a game like Painkiller.

I never said the baby appearance didn't make it cool.....I just said that ID designed it to look that way so that it was A: Disturbing and B: ID trying to mess with your head while you play. I read that directly from an interview of one of the designers.

S1lent said:

I never said the baby appearance didn't make it cool.....I just said that ID designed it to look that way so that it was A: Disturbing and B: ID trying to mess with your head while you play. I read that directly from an interview of one of the designers.

Sure, but I kinda responded to your "they must've changed its looks to look more evil so that people won't feel bad about shooting it" comment, which I honestly thought was rubbish that made little sense, considering what Id usually does.

S1lent said:

By that they mean it causes the character to have halucinations so you're firing at an imaginary image and wasting your ammo or neglecting smaller real enemies. I read that somewhere too.

If that is the case what if they hid one of these in the scenery, like in a pipe? That'd totally fuck me up, shooting at the halucinations, Je-sus.

Can't wait.