Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
engineer

OCCULAR RAPE LINEAR BLOOD OVERUSEAGE

Looks fine to me, but you might try adding some gstvine in though somewhere.

Occular rape linear blood overusage is an awesome name for a map.

Heh.

Spawn room. The only room i'm happy with ATM.

Shotgun gathering room thingy: will probably change.

Huge courtyard thing: Will more than likeley change. (wtf)

Good layout, but needs more detail! I like the green marble/blood themed stuff though, haven't seen many good maps with that. So, do us proud!

P.S. I think that gun looks great! The original jdoom one i had a long time ago was much worse... that one actually looks like a beretta, it looks like the original psitol.

Yes, more detail and the first shot isn't too good.
The textures are too overused as well, try and use some METAL or something.

Yeah, it does look pretty good. I haven't seen too many "demonic" levels, so this is nice.

Damn. Everyone says-more detail, more detail. Why, it's obvious that more detailed levels are better, but we all know that. :-P May I suggest-how that "detail" could look, to help Your imagination a bit flow.

Spawn Room-You could sorround the marble walkway with metal trim, and place metal bars on each side of the Marbfaces. You could raise the ceiling of the walkway sector and place some beams to hold up the whole construction. Are those torches glowing but no light? Surround them with sectors and gradually decrease each's light value to achieve faded lighting.

Shotgun Gathering-Looks awright, only the candelabras cast no lighting. Again, surround them with sectors and fade lighting. You could also place scrolling faces near the floor on the walls so it looks like a crypt or something.

Courtyard thingy:
the sides of the grnrock walkways are red. Swap them to rock1/2/3, it will look better (like the whole walkway is made of dark rocks) The walls are a bit bare. Metal supports, or marbfaces in the walls with torches in them that have, faded lighting ofcourse would look nice. The courtyard itself could use some of them "bloody fountains" as well. You know what I'm going to say about those 2 torches. I'm positive You'll show Your talents in aesthetics in this map.
There You go. I hope me helps. Oh yes, the change of Marbles to Gstvines in the Hi-res shot is indeed a very good change.

This is actually changing to more of a jDoom project, so sector-based lighting will probably be minimal. Unless I change my mind.

BTW: Thanks for the ideas, Nmn. I'll try working on the rooms I have done now, and then move on to building more.

Ok, time for an update.

-Added some metal beams to the start room.

-Added some metal beams to the hall going from the shotgun room to the courtyard.

-New courtyard. Not done. (Thus why the lighting is bad, i'm waiting until the map is complete design-wise before I start with lighting)

I think it looks ok, but I would like to make a suggestion. Using jdoom for testing and screenshots makes it look awesome, but it often overshadows and hides design flaws in its infinite prettyness. Try making the map in a software port, and make it look good in that before admiring it in Doomsday.

For example, in the second-last screenshot with the torches, without jdoom that would look just like and empty, right angled hallway. The torches wouldnt glow in software, the eyes on the demon face wouldbt be bright, and there would be no dynamic lighting. And to top it all off, there would be no detail textures. In vanilla doom that wouldnt look good at all. Now, unless this is jdoom-only, you might want to consider making the map look good in a different port. Then, once thats done you can go back to jdoom and see how much more detailed and pretty it is, and have it still look good in original doom2!

In some cases it might be wise to think about lighting for a certain area as you map, so some places are even centered around a good piece of lighting. It can add a lot to atmosphere.

Anyways, heed that or dont, it's up to you.

BTW I like the beams in the start room. Good idea to break up the ceiling with.

I feel apreciated that You've taken my suggestions. I like helping and sharing ideas, so.. if You don't mind..
The starting room is as sweet as can be, but I have to agree with Iori with the decision about taking shots in Jdoom. People that will play the map in Jdoom would say "that's cool", but people who would play it in.. Zdoom, prboom, would say "Damn. Bare Rooms". If You make it beatiful in "ugly" software rendering it will look uber nice in Jdoom with it's additions.
The first shot looks very good indeed. The only thing I would add is some transparent vines to hide the marbfaces behind them-would look mysterious, like the player is wondering "what is that.. OMG! A demon face". Good work on decorating the room with bodies, tasty, hehe.

The second shot-try to make cut-outs in walls and place torches in them (would look more detailed) a bloody altar by that marbface would also look nice. Last thing-perhaps some lowered parts of the floor near the walls with lava flowing there. Not only it looks like they have some lava flowing to some areas like in real world but also when it will glow in Jdoom it will look perdy having light on the walls.

Last Shot-perhaps a bloody fountain in the middle could be good? When I look at those walls I think-hey, maybe some castle-like walls, You know, with stones to hide behind when firing from the walls, or perhaps some windows? Hmm. Maybe pillars or towers with caged imps (or chaingunners) inside them in those blood pools? Would make things harder.

Adding borders to hallways and such enchances the feel of what would otherwise be a plain corridor. Anything that helps seperate the main walking surface from being conneted directly to the wall.

|       |
(lines are walls)

could be:
|:     :|
(:'s are another sector at around the same height as the middle sector. It can be raised, or the same height as the middle. As long as it has a different texture)

I don't know, I'm not one for asthetics.

Also for walls, getting rid of, or hiding their straightness is a good idea.
............(wall)
could become:
...../''''\....
or something. ASCII is bad for explaining things. Just add lumps to your walls.

Try to limit how many sharp corners there are. make circular pillars at corners of walls and such. But that is just me, I hate corners, they scare me.

Don't take screenshots in JDoom. It's hard to tell wheter the map looks good or not when there's a bunch of dynamic lights and hi-res textures trying to make things look fancy.

I have this strange feelin Your making empty rooms just for us to tell You how could You detail it :-) May I?

Shot 1-the floor definately needs to be broken by something. Small cracks with lava, or flowing blood in cutouts in the floor will do good, if, they are ofcourse, trimmed with metal. You should be able to easily brake the plain ceiling with some lamps, or better, skylights, ofcourse metal-trimmed. Damn, is that human being toasted? Human BBQ? Tasty. Those black columns (why are they black?) could use either some roundness, or dark red inverted crosses. I think a nice touch in the walls would be small icons with demonic faces in them (small icons) like sw2satyr or sw2lion, yes, the ones with glowing eyes. Scary stuff. Like all of them are watching You..

Shot 2-Flowing blood from the body on the altar is certainly a must. Maybe sorround the altar with a pit of fire and lava and make a small walkway to the altar: "The one's, who was sacrificied on the altar, soul is thrown into the deepest pits". Instead of a bunch of lamps either make cut-out crosses on the ceiling or some beams that join above the altar into one, like a star. The walls could use some people's faces, masked behin GSTVINES. Scary.
Waiting for new shots.