Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gatewatcher

Removing the Monitor Case?

Heh, say if I wanted to paint my monitor, is it safe to take the cover off? Are there any hazards this causes such as blowing the tube out or causing damage to it?

I did that a while ago. It was moderately successful until I ran out of Ford Sierra metallic cobalt blue. Just make sure you mask off the tube and the pcbs with something.

I can't remember why I did it, but I think it involved a northener with a funny shaped head.

Just out of curiosity, what color are you going to paint it?

Ichor said:

It helps to unplug the monitor first.

Actually it doesn't. CRT monitors have a power supply that stores up a ton of voltage, and it can be dangerous even in a television that hasn't had power in a long time.

CRTs should never be opened except by qualified service personnel (like one of my uncles by marriage -- he owns a TV repair shop).

Basically dont do it because painting your monitor is ubergay and it will probably kill you.

well it all depends on what kind of monitor you have, I have done it and I didn't die. But you should leave it unplugged over night, to try to reduce the watts. (the volts will just hurt not really kill you it is the watts that will mess you up)

personaly painting it aint worth it. they can be a bitch to take apart and to put back together. also as stated you are dealing with high voltage!

also the are settings and other things you could damage or mess up.

if it is and LCD it would be easier and safer, but still i wouldn't. more so after you spen 400+ for it and it WOULD viod your warrenty!

CRT's store about 25,000 watts of power at any one time, Touch it and your blown across the room.

That's exactly right, the tube is like a big capacitor.

Short it out with the metal part of an insulated screwdriver across the plug prongs after unplugging.