Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Why Doom Is Good

TotalGames.net has posted an article entitled Hurt Me Plenty that goes into detail about why Doom is, well, good. Here's a sample from the pleonastic piece:

Contemporary gamers are in danger of becoming complacent. As the industry has forged ahead through ideologies and technological progression, we now take for granted such factors as multiplayer, intense, tactical action and a climate of palpable suspense. And well we should; especially with Doom 3 looming ever nearer. Since its 1993 debut, Doom has appeared on shows such as ER and Friends, and achieved as much controversy as success. So just how many of the lodestones of modern gaming do we owe to Doom?

Translation: DOOM IZ GUD. Edit: apparently the article is reprinted from gamesTM.

Chris Hansen said:

Which episode of Friends was that..!?

The One With the List

BTW, I saw a film recently where we saw Doom being played: Twilight Man. Not a bad film overall either. We see the screen twice (a computer nerd kid is apparently playing) - on both occasions I think it is from one of the internal demos in Ultimate Doom (Unholy Cathedral - a baron is being shot at).

I remember going nuts when I saw the boy in Breakdown (with Kurt Russel) playing Doom. It was on the Playstation...

Good movie.

Kind of boring, and very long, article. And the font size is too small.

One thing about that article... MUDs DID invent online human vs. human fighting. It wasn't called "deathmatch", but Player Killing, or PK for short. Some of us... *hack,cough,me* still play, and/or own muds.

gemini09 said:

I remember going nuts when I saw the boy in Breakdown (with Kurt Russel) playing Doom. It was on the Playstation...

I am the same way with any game I like, including DooM, of course :). I remember getting really hyper and exited when Battlefield1942 was on the History Channel. Was a show about tanks and how soldiers train to drive tanks and stuff. They mentioned BF because of how close tank driving in that game is to the real thing.

like the Alamo, REMEMBER DOOM!

Poorly written, boring, un-researched article on a played out topic. Something we've seen a million times and already know.

Ed said:

Poorly written, boring, un-researched article on a played out topic. Something we've seen a million times and already know.

And your point?

Doom.

Yeah, you can smell it.

I'll write it:

WHY DOOM ISN'T GOOD

Because Ralphis plays it.

I had to force myself to read the whole thing. Boring as hell I already now all of that plus more.

Part of the sheer speed of the game engine was due to a coding concept of Carmack's called raycasting - a technique in which the PC draws only the graphics seen on screen, rather than the whole world, leading to much-improved performance. A truly revolutionary idea.

Somehow I can't take this article seriously.