Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Donce

PSX Redemption Denied: Two shorty demolets

I've never played Doom on PSX and this conversion of Redemption Denied was the first converted PSX map I got acquainted with. I read in some thread that in the original level you only meet spiders after all the barons are dead, so infights wouldn't be possible that way. That is, only the two spiders could fight each other, but not the barons.

I recorded a max in 1:05 and a NM in 0:43. Wanted to get below 1 minute for max but hey, I'm just a mortal, though it greatly depends on luck as well.
Recorded with Boom 2.02.

This map should be interesting in pacifist (*looks at Grazza*) but not funny in fast: the barons just stay scattered around instead of grouping around the spiders.

NOTE: if you use Boom 2.02 for playback, you must first extract the deh file from the wad and put it in the command line. No need to do that with PrBoom and (maybe, not tested?) Eternity. Also, for Boom you must enter the wadfile name in 8 characters: psxred~1.wad or else it won't work.

Example command lines:

boom.exe -file psxred~1.wad -deh psxred~1.deh -playdemo psxrd105

prboom.exe -file psxredemption.wad -playdemo psxrn043

Heh, I recorded a pacifist demo on skill 5 (1:33 but only because I didnt pay attention to the exit lowering) but it just isnt very interesting to watch.

Donce said:

I've never played Doom on PSX and this conversion of Redemption Denied was the first converted PSX map I got acquainted with.

If you want to see more maps from the console versions, then there is Console Doom (rejected by the archive due to the fact that some of the maps are very similar to id's levels).

I'd be interested to see Assmaster's NM Pacifist demo.

Heh, alright.

arn054.zip
Time: 0:54
This was my last recording attempt. I again forgot where the exit was located for a moment. I also should have tried to get the barons firing at the SMs a little sooner than I did. Oh well.

arn133.zip
Time: 1:33
This was my first attempt. I wasnt taking it very seriously. As I mentioned in my original post, I didnt remember to go looking for the exit soon enough. Only worth watching for a quick laugh I suppose.

Both of these were recorded with prboom 2.2.4 (no complevel specified). Both are pacifist demos. Both are recorded on skill 5.

On a side note: Is there any way fix that pause that occurs when you begin playing a map in prboom? If I hold down a directional key during this period things go all sorts of wrong. It really interferes with demo recording.

Assmaster said:

On a side note: Is there any way fix that pause that occurs when you begin playing a map in prboom? If I hold down a directional key during this period things go all sorts of wrong. It really interferes with demo recording.

I don't know of an ideal solution. It's a real PITA. You just have to start pressing the key at just the right moment (late enough so it doesn't lock up, but early enough so you haven't wasted time), but it's hard to get a quick start. A fair proportion of my recording attempts are abandoned after the first half-second for precisely that reason. :(

That doesn't happen with the old prboom 2.02, but there is a bit more of a wait for the screen to come up (depends on the resolution). You do get a quick start though (that's why I used it for, e.g., my Icarus map10 UV Pacifist demo recently). The main drawback with using that old version is that it will only record a Boom format demo - you don't have the range of compatibility levels that you do in the more recent prbooms.

Note: Prboom 2.02 is essentially the same as Boom 2.02 (it's a straight Windows port of it), so you'll need to extract the dehacked file from the wad (using, e.g., Wintex) and add it to the command line, as described in Donce's initial post.

Donce said:

This map should be interesting in pacifist (*looks at Grazza*)

OK, I had a go. Pretty much pure luck - my best times were achieved in runs where I loused up what little strategy I had in mind. NM Pacifist in 0:45 and UV Pacifist in 0:57. They're here. Boom-format demos. The zip includes the extracted dehacked patch.

Great! When I get home, I'll have at least four demos to watch on this wad.