Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Hell?

I was just reading about doom and doom 3 etc., and I was just wondering about the later part of the doom 3 game. I mean, all of the shots I've seen are in tech-base style areas. I'd like to know if you'll be able to go to hell in doom 3, for the last part of the game and the final battle. They probably wouldn't show screenshots of this, but so far the game looks leaned toward system shock style gameplay, so I don't know if you'll ever get to see hell again.

I really hope you can get to hell in this one, its a feat never done in modern games, and with all the doom 3 technology, they could really make the end of the game a shocking, scary, disturbing, baphomet-ass-kicking experience.

Nick Perrin said:

I was just reading about doom and doom 3 etc., I'd like to know if you'll be able to go to hell in doom 3.

LOL you must not have read much about Doom 3 then m8, Hell has been described in loads of popular Doom 3 articles from IGN, GAMESPY etc, you have to go to Hell to get a special artifact/weapon called the soul cube to fight of the demons, but thats as much as ID are gonna give ya.
I think i read somewhere that when the enemies die from normal weapons they just go back to hell and the only weapon i'm guessing can kill them is the soulcube.

Lectrix said:

Hell has been described in loads of popular Doom 3 articles

Think of all those poor, poor unpopular articles that didn't get such a luxury ; )

Yes, you will get to go to hell. Appearantly there is some point in the game where you teleport there and then lose your flashlight somehow (I don't know how, ID just said that they take your flashlight away when you go to Hell). *MILD SPOILER AHEAD* And most people know that you go to hell later in the game because thats where you get the Soul Cube thing.

Thanks, I should read mor doom 3 articles! But the final battle will probably be in hell too.

I just hope they can make it really, really, REALLY scary.
And you get to fight Cerberus(joke).

I hope you can't hear anything over the screaming, and I hope it sounds like millions screaming and not just one guy.

Ah dammit. When I saw the thread title I thought it was a new screenshot (In hell). Oh well

Janderson said:

I hope you can't hear anything over the screaming, and I hope it sounds like millions screaming and not just one guy.

I think that'd quickly become annoying as Hell. Yes, there should preferably be screaming and it should sound like billions, but I want to be able to distinguish other sounds from the screaming.

I don't want my sound experience of Hell to be limited to just:
"AAaaAAaAaAaAAAAAeeeiiiIIEEEeeeeeeeeeEEOOooOoOoooaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaarrRRRRRrhhhHHhHHuUUuUuuuuUAAaaaaaAAAaaeeeiiiiiiIiiEeeeEeeeeeeehhHhHhhhhAAaaaaAAAaaaaarrRRrrGggGgggghhh...hhhhHhhh!"

The screaming should also get distorted on occasion and sound truly weird imo.

You should also be able to hear a billion extremely happy demon roars. I hope you get screwed up halucinations too.

Do you think we'll see the Lake of Fire? Or just Slapstick, Irony and individual punishment sections?

Scabbed Angel said:

Music is the theme of Post Hell. Best idea ever.

That would be to much like a drug trip if you mean the old screaming Post Hell music

It would be awesome if in hell there was smoke rising up from the ground, you move close to it and a demon jumps out though the smoke at you.

Well, perhaps it's time for me to repost my dream about what Doom 3's Hell would be like (as well as add to it):

When you start out in Hell, you're in a sick and twisted swamp, with half-buried, mutilated corpses, some of which still move even though they're dead (slough of Despair). Off in the distance, you can see a towering, ominous mountain with disturbing rock formations (as in, they seem to convey disturbing images).

After getting through the slough, you make it to the foot of the mountain (if you haven't guessed already, this is Mt. Erebus), where there's an entrance to a building that's "built into" the mountain.

Inside the building is a living nightmare of disturbing hallucinations and lotsa demons (Pandemonium) and when you make it through there, it gets worse, because you arrive at the House of Pain sited on a plateau of the mountain, and inside this house, there may not be any hallucinations, instead the horrors there are real - scores of terribly mutilated corpses that somehow still seem partially alive, contorted in agony and the halls of the house still echo with long-dead screams of pain. Streams of boiling blood, and signs of inhuman torture everywhere you go.

Near the top of the mountain, you come upon the Unholy Cathedral, which has really impressive architechture, but it is constructed in a disturbing way. This place has several corpses nailed to upside-down crosses and more satanic imagery than you can shake a stick at (it is, after all, an evil cathedral). The cathedral is predominantly very dark with very few lights (and the lights that are there are sinister and everything but comforting - red lighting in some places for instance) and scary sounds are everywhere within it.

As you reach the top of Mt. Erebus, you arrive inside the city of Dis (which now looks a lot more like a blasphemous sort of Hell city) and deep within this city, it's time for the final showdown with whoever the big bad boss is (hopefully not Spidey again).

Nice to see Dsm that you are working in RTC-3057 (the mod that I wainting for the most) :-)

Nick Perrin said:

dsm... that's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see. You should e-mail that post to Id.

It's probably too late now, but I can hope that they saw my Hell ideas the last time I posted them (dang, I don't remember the thread name) and that they used it as inspiration.

Looks cool, but I'll just wait for the final thing, hopefully its really scary and well-done. I'd rather play it as a surprise now than see what it looks like first.

Lectrix said:

LOL you must not have read much about Doom 3 then m8, Hell has been described in loads of popular Doom 3 articles from IGN, GAMESPY etc, you have to go to Hell to get a special artifact/weapon called the soul cube to fight of the demons, but thats as much as ID are gonna give ya.
I think i read somewhere that when the enemies die from normal weapons they just go back to hell and the only weapon i'm guessing can kill them is the soulcube.

Hmm maybe he has a life...

You may be right there, its not hard to miss from the amount of times its mentioned. So sorry Nick, you can't read em all. ;D