Oldschool or Newschool?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Oldschool or Newschool?

• Older Games
    • Newer Games
    • I like a good mix of both
    • I hate both

Which do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer the older games. There are tons upon tons of great games that were made before 1993. So people say they look ugly by today's standards, but I think they not only look great (pixelation = <3), but alot of them are also very, very fun. Back in the NES days, there were games that seem really short as opposed to the games that take days to beat now, yet when playing these games for about 15-30 minutes, I feel as if I've been playing several hours. So the graphics may not be super fancy, but they were fun. What's wrong with having a game be fun?

That's not to say that there aren't any good new games. Of course, there are some pretty awesome games out today, which actually manage to have good looks, and good gameplay, but there just don't seem to be as many great games out now as there were back ten years ago. Too many games now focus only on graphics, like graphics make the game. What's the use of having a great looking game that plays like shit? Kids nowdays seem to think "Hey, this game looks really good. It must be the best game evar."

Overall, I mostly like the older games, with a little bit of newer ones to play as well.

I like a mix of both. I do agree that the appeal of many newer games does seem to be built around gimmicks, rather than solid gameplay.

Old games=nostalgia... basis upon which you compare newer games
newer game=Hopefully better graphics, advanced options, etc

Answer=both.

both...old games for the memories, new games for better options/gameplay types (onslaught ut2k4)

A game isn't worth the plastic it's burned into unless it has some sort of lasting value. Old games still worth playing obviously have this quality, unless it's one of those things you pick up and bust through in a few hours every five years or so.

RPG's are a good example... they're not pick-up-and-fuck-around games, but every once in a while you feel that itch to relive the story. Anyway, I pick "old games" just for this reason.

Picking old games versus new games is like being out to dinner with a girl you're trying to pick up. Your chances of having a fun night are good-- until your old freaky-deaky ex walks by the table with her two "girlfriends" and drops a hotel key in your lap.

I don't really care how old a game is... its age means little to me for the game's value. But my tendency lies towards playing older games (though not all as old as DOOM).

I still play my old Segas more than my ps2 or Gamecube so, old games it is!

My favourite games ever are games like DOOM, Marathon, Damage Inc, Shadow Warrior/DN3D, Warcraft 2, etc. The only new games that come close are Max Payne and Halo. Why? Because somewhere around '98 dvelopers started to lose the point of having fun in a game...

i must say i play a lot of old games.

I like Remakes, remixes and so on.

I bought a high-end pc, but i use it to play Zdoom, and little else. (and able to run Morrowind, but i dont play it)

Now i play GBA games, i found it more enjoyable.

Both, though I gotta admit that fewer new games appeal to me.
Still, there are a few new games that I think 'pass their test'.

Assmaster said:

I prefer games that dont suck. Their age means nothing to me.

The same goes for me.

There are a lot of good old games. There are a few good new games.

"They don't make them like they used to."

Damn you brain. You know how I feel about cliche's.

So DOOM is the line between new and old?

I hate both is the more accurate choice, then.

Here's how I figure it.

Preferances:
Online Play = New Games
Offline SP Play = Old games

Though the single player for some of the modern games are good, they just don't have the same story line or action that the old ones had (i.e. Doom). Whereas the new games have a good online play, now I know that most old games didn't have online play but for the few that did, they weren't as good as CoD or CS or RB6 etc...

I still have my NES and play mario every once in a while but today games are just so much more emersive. It borders on being life like.

S1lent said:

they weren't as good as CoD or CS or RB6 etc...

CS? you heathen! accept ut2k4 as your lord and savior and repent now!

Quast said:

CS? you heathen! accept ut2k4 as your lord and savior and repent now!

Yeah Counter Strike is Counter Crap. CRAP. Now, RtCW, Unreal etc. Those are fine games!