Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

So I played XBox Doom 3

TH-555 said:

the one in 03 looked great, why change it too something that doesnt look as good?

While I agree with you that the one in the Xbox screenie looks kinda ugly (unanimated at least), I know there are people who disagree with you; I remember having arguments with people who thought the "new" shotgun looked kickass.

So to answer your question, they changed it because they felt the new version looked better and more futuristic.

Btw, I really hope there is a chainsaw as a player weapon in the game. So far, all we've seen from the chainsaw was from this "shot of four" and the one being wielded by the zombie.

Common sense says it's a player weapon - otherwise it wouldn't be in the "shot of four".

It's also been confirmed by Id on numerous occasions before.

Sorry, haven't really been following this thread lately, but was just looking at some of the referenced graphics on the previous page...

doesn't http://www.planetdoom.com/image.asp?images/e3/2a.jpg look ridiculously NOT frightening! Gah!! I think the hellspawn must have carefully drained the blood before they opened his chest so as to leave a nice, clean, UNfrightening ribcage. This might be the downside of 3D... it takes a lot more work to express a vision that can be more precisely and quickly done with a 2D sprint, granted, it is only a 2D srite though.

I mean, this guy looks like a joke compared to the bloody TORSOs hanging by their arms in Doom. Where is the gore??!

@Crix: I disagree with you! This guy does look scary to me. When I imagine encountering this one in my darkened room....
Don't jugdge the game from a blurry Xbox-shot.

Crix said:

Where is the gore??!

Bathroom scene.

True, this is just a crappy xbox render. But damn that skeleton looks clean. I want fresh blood! >:-)

Yeah, the blood in the bathroom looks great, as well as the blood smeared on the walls elsewhere, but if there's going to be bodies hanging from the ceilings and what them to have bloody intestines with physics hanging from them.. so that they sway, and create a pool of blood beneath the body. In addition, mwuhahah, it would nice if the bodies were still partialy alive and would twitch, maybe even speak occasionaly... or gurgle, whichever they can muster, haha. I want the atmosphere to truly be terrifying and disturbing.

Crix said:

True, this is just a crappy xbox render. But damn that skeleton looks clean. I want fresh blood! >:-)

Yeah, the blood in the bathroom looks great, as well as the blood smeared on the walls elsewhere, but if there's going to be bodies hanging from the ceilings and what them to have bloody intestines with physics hanging from them.. so that they sway, and create a pool of blood beneath the body. In addition, mwuhahah, it would nice if the bodies were still partialy alive and would twitch, maybe even speak occasionaly... or gurgle, whichever they can muster, haha. I want the atmosphere to truly be terrifying and disturbing.

Relax.
I'm pretty sure we'll see stuff based on original Doom scenery (like the twitching marine corpse on a stake), but they don't wanna give away all the cool surprises in a lousy little Xbox single player demo, nor in the Xbox trailer, speaking of which I'd like to ask you if you've seen it.
If you've seen the Xbox trailer, remember there's a blood-textured corpse hanging from the ceiling with its eyes torn/gouged out - pretty scary stuff if you ask me.

Oh and btw, I kinda agree with you that Mr. Ripcage Corpse looks kinda meh - it looks weird to me how the torso seems to missing flesh and skin, while the arms seem perfectly all right. But with a bit of luck, that corpse just isn't completed. Feh, better to look on the bright side and remain hopeful anyways.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm expecting there's a lot we haven't seen yet. Yeah, I saw the xbox demo... infact, I think the screenshot I referenced earlier is a picture of said corpse on the ceiling. Somehow this one looks cleaner though.

I hope plot doesn't get too much in the way of the fun of this game. Like I don't want my friggin PDA/cellphone ringing all the time, like, "Sorry can i call you back?! I'm kidna getting my ass kicked now." Honestly, I don't want to think too much when I'm playing Doom3. FPS games are kinda like beer to me. I play them when I want to be somewhere else.

Crix said:

I hope plot doesn't get too much in the way of the fun of this game. Like I don't want my friggin PDA/cellphone ringing all the time, like, "Sorry can i call you back?! I'm kidna getting my ass kicked now." Honestly, I don't want to think too much when I'm playing Doom3. FPS games are kinda like beer to me. I play them when I want to be somewhere else.

Yep, I don't want the damn thing talking to me at the wrong time - if I get a voice transmission, I'd prefer a beep and a discreet, blinking icon to notify me that I got a 'mail' and then I can pull out the PDA when I want to hear the message.

If the PDA thing is like the field computer in Quake 2 and the story stuff can be mostly ignored like in RtCW, I don't have a single reason to worry about Doom 3 being too much of a "thinking man's game".
Yeah, Quake 2 or RtCW are ok role models as far as in-game story development goes (except of course for the OSA cutscenes in RtCW - I hate having to waste time loading them just to skip them, wait for the game's slow ass to exit the cutscene and then load up the next map).

On the other hand, I'm more concerned about puzzles - I hate puzzles that cause you to get stuck when all you really want is to blast monsters.

Wow..this turned out to be a really long thread. Anyways, I think that there is a lot about DOOM 3 that we still don't know about (even the Alpha people). There is no way ID would spill its guts out and give out all the secrets. There are probably some new monsters that they haven't even mentioned or shown us yet and maybe a new gun or two (other than the Soul Cube).

Puzzles are good when they aren't too hard and basically force you to explore the environment. I like them then. Playing Far Cry has made me remember how successful and fun key-finding based gameplay can be. It forces you to know your environment. I like that the keys are generally under someone else's posession or in some hard to get to room, as opposed to a key being on a raised platform surrounded by a pool of radioactive waste solely for challenge's sake.

Then again, this is supposed to be a force of Hell. Creating hellish puzzles in your environment makes sense. I hope they have some. Honestly, I thought the Alpha levels were wicked boring. (i know, i know, that doesn't say anything about the final game but just following one path, killing and collecting ammo does not make a fun experience.)

Re: Weapons. I can't wait to see some plasma based weapons. Enough of this damned realism crap. I want sci-fi and fire and brimstone.

...And plasma weapons thou shalt get. Both the plasma rifle and BFG is confirmed, but you probably knew that already.
I don't want those guns revealed before I try the game - sadly, the plasma rifle has already been partially revealed (not counting the "four weapons shot").

I agree that there should be puzzles, but I don't want anything of Half Life's caliber (I remember that fucking air-type where a gigantic venilator can propel you up towards the ceiling - I didn't notice that the ceiling was wooden and could be ruined with the crowbar until about half an hour's frustrations).

But some missions a la Quake 2's (but hopefully slightly more advanced and in-depth) where all you need is to do some exploring in the environment is good as long as it doesn't require you to find a secret door - secrets are only meant to be hidden, optional bonuses, not fucking mission-critical puzzles!!! I hate when level designers pull that shit on me.

Yah.

God, the plasma balls and stream look gay. I want to see fury incarnate in that plasma. Not pretty little fag-sparkles.

*hah, sorry if that was offensive to anyone

Why don't you edit your post then. Dumbass.
*sorry if that waz offenziv to anyones!!1 haaa LOLlS u faggsz

I think the plasma stream looks good, considering what its based off of. I especially like the tiny beams of plasms in between each sparkle. Really ties the room together.

Crix said:

Sorry, haven't really been following this thread lately, but was just looking at some of the referenced graphics on the previous page...

doesn't http://www.planetdoom.com/image.asp?images/e3/2a.jpg look ridiculously NOT frightening! Gah!! I think the hellspawn must have carefully drained the blood before they opened his chest so as to leave a nice, clean, UNfrightening ribcage. This might be the downside of 3D... it takes a lot more work to express a vision that can be more precisely and quickly done with a 2D sprint, granted, it is only a 2D srite though.

I mean, this guy looks like a joke compared to the bloody TORSOs hanging by their arms in Doom. Where is the gore??!

It was my understanding that that was a screenshot of a boss. Thanks for ruining that.

I assume the bulk of the PDA calls will be in the beginning of the game, as a sort of tutorial guide. After that, it'll be level-by-level messages simply telling you where to go next.

I think the plasma rifle discharges are amazing, they sort of make it look like how a real gun would shoot baseball sized masses of billion-degree light.

800th. Post!

Crix said:

Yah.

God, the plasma balls and stream look gay. I want to see fury incarnate in that plasma. Not pretty little fag-sparkles.

At least they added something new to it instead of the usual, old separate plasma bolts.
And I'm pretty sure it'll look amazing in motion too.

Crix said:

Yah.

I prefer to think of them as plasma pulses that plasma balls. It looks more powerful when you see the origional beam (wispy + weak) and then the pulse (brighter + bigger = more power). Know wghat I mean?

Crix said:

Yah.

yeah tell me about it, not just the xbox version either. the fireballs in doom3 never impressed me, I remember comparing the fire in H2 and D3 to HL2 and shaking my head. exept the explosions, the explosions in HL2 looked crappy. realistic enough, but nothing special.

to get back on topic, having fireballs be one of the things we see flying at our faces most in doom(doom3 whateva) it woulld be nice if they looked good.

TH-555 said:

yeah tell me about it, not just the xbox version either. the fireballs in doom3 never impressed me, I remember comparing the fire in H2 and D3 to HL2 and shaking my head. exept the explosions, the explosions in HL2 looked crappy. realistic enough, but nothing special.

to get back on topic, having fireballs be one of the things we see flying at our faces most in doom(doom3 whateva) it woulld be nice if they looked good.

I hope they're improved in the final version - the fire got a visible update from earlier versions, so it's not impossible that fireballs will get updated.
I don't think the plasma balls need updating though - they look like the old ones, but visually updated (they're shinier) and I like that.

dsm said:

I don't think the plasma balls need updating though - they look like the old ones, but visually updated (they're shinier) and I like that.

They remind me of jDoom blasma balls. Ah, jDoom the only enhancement that I don't have problems with. :-)
Shiney is ALWAYS good.

Speaking of which, when playing the Demo were there any shiney surfaces? (aside from mirrors of course)

On retrospect that is one of the most pointless questions I've ever asked ... meh.

dsm said:

I hope they're improved in the final version - the fire got a visible update from earlier versions, so it's not impossible that fireballs will get updated.

the imp fireballs look like the old ones, so far we havent seen any others, like those green ones that hell-knights threw at you in doom, but so far Ive only seen the new hellknights throw objects. I liked the green fireballs.... well just have to wait and see what hell has in store