Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

What will the new Cyberdemon be like?

Personally, I've been fantasising about an ENOURMOUS Cybie (marine's head up to his knees) who, when you meet him, bends down and lets out this huge ROOAAAAARRRR!!! right in your face with saliva flying all over the place :).

After you've fought with him for a bit, he retreats back into this lair with a huge rack of armaments he can attach to his arm. He detaches his rocket launcher, and clunks on another more deadly weapon to kill you with. Or, you could end up fighting different cyberdemons each with their own custom weapon. I reckon that cyber-hoof of his should also play a part in his attacks as in a melee weapon he can use to stomp on you (hopefully he'll be tall enough for this to happen).

If any of you have fought Eidolon at the end of Hexen II, you'll get kind of an idea of the scale and effect that I'm thinking of.

What is everyone else hoping for?

EDIT: This is of course assuming that there WILL be a Cyberdemon in Doom 3, which I desperately hope there will be!

I imagine him being a little smaller than the giant Eidolon.
Nevertheless, I would love it if the cyber hoof created a ground shaking (much like the T-Rex in Jurassic Park) and you feel him coming before you actually get to see him. Man, this must be frightening. Also, I'd like the Cyberdemon to be much more agile: He could run on all fours like a cat and then go bipedal again to fight'ya (Like Diablo does in DiabloII). That would be cool!

In the latest trailer we could already see the screen shaking from the Hellknight's movement. So I expect a lot of shaking when the Cyberdemon gets up close and personal. I think he'll be huge. You'll probably get to fight him in a gigantic room with a very high ceiling.

Hopefully he'll be more menacing than the original one. And I really, really hope that he makes that scary hoof sound again. Revised, but just as scary.

I hope he sounds cooler. He sounded like a camel in the original, which is still scary. I just know if I see I'm running the opposite direction.

Trilinear said:
After you've fought with him for a bit, he retreats back into this lair with a huge rack of armaments he can attach to his arm. He detaches his rocket launcher, and clunks on another more deadly weapon to kill you with.

No, that'd be seriously lame - it'd make the cyberdemon seem too human and rational thinking. The demons should be like wild animals with a very basic killer instinct, like they were in classic Doom.

I reckon the cybie is "born" with that rocket launcher of his and he just fires it by means of some primitive instinct.

EDIT: This is of course assuming that there WILL be a Cyberdemon in Doom 3, which I desperately hope there will be!

There will be, son, there will be.

dsm said:

No, that'd be seriously lame - it'd make the cyberdemon seem too human and rational thinking. The demons should be like wild animals with a very basic killer instinct, like they were in classic Doom.

Surely id would have to come up with some kind of original surprise with the Cyberdemon though, not just have him walk around blasting rockets and that's it... That would be disappointing.

Trilinear said:

Surely id would have to come up with some kind of original surprise with the Cyberdemon though, not just have him walk around blasting rockets and that's it... That would be disappointing.

Not if they introduce the cybie in a really cool fashion, and make his ai behaviour interesting enough.
If they make it so that he tries to hit you with the splash damage, rather than having him try to score direct rocket hits, players could find themselves with quite a nasty challenge at hand (remember that player speed is a lot slower now than in classic Doom).

They could make him 'smart' enough to try to rush you and then stomp on you on occasion, or slam you across the arena with a well placed swipe from his huge hand/rocket launcher. There are plenty of possibilities in just improving his basic behaviour.

And even though I don't think it matters, they could just as well add a secondary weapon to his "gun arm".

The idea of making him switch weapons is kinda dumb imo - hard to explain specifically, but it makes him seem like a human soldier who'd bring out the HEAVY weapons once he's failed to neutralize his enemy with his basic weapons. It's a gimmick imo and it'd just kill the demonic, chaotic feel around the demon if he suddenly runs away and then comes back with an even bigger gun. Let's keep things basic - the best bosses aren't always those with a gazillion different weapons.

Hey, ya know what would be badass? I think it'd be scary enough to hear the ground quaking breaking and shaking from the Cybie stomping around, but it'd be especially cool if he had like, say, a laser sight on his rocket launcher arm, and just as you're beginning to think you'll never actually see him, all of a sudden, a big red flashes straight at you, and then you hear the sound of a rocket launcher firing...
I imagine a little scene like this would scare the piss out of people.

dsm said:

Not if they introduce the cybie in a really cool fashion, and make his ai behaviour interesting enough.
If they make it so that he tries to hit you with the splash damage, rather than having him try to score direct rocket hits, players could find themselves with quite a nasty challenge at hand (remember that player speed is a lot slower now than in classic Doom).

They could make him 'smart' enough to try to rush you and then stomp on you on occasion, or slam you across the arena with a well placed swipe from his huge hand/rocket launcher. There are plenty of possibilities in just improving his basic behaviour.

And even though I don't think it matters, they could just as well add a secondary weapon to his "gun arm".

The idea of making him switch weapons is kinda dumb imo - hard to explain specifically, but it makes him seem like a human soldier who'd bring out the HEAVY weapons once he's failed to neutralize his enemy with his basic weapons. It's a gimmick imo and it'd just kill the demonic, chaotic feel around the demon if he suddenly runs away and then comes back with an even bigger gun. Let's keep things basic - the best bosses aren't always those with a gazillion different weapons.

dsm has it right on. How lame would it be to have it be like "oh shit' and come back with a plasma rifle then get beat up again then come back with a bfg, then finally die. Gay. It would get repetitive and be like shopping for clothes with your girlfriend where she tries on 5000 things and comes back and forth from the dressing room, and you lose interest fast, unless she comes out naked (but I don't want a naked cybie, penis flailing everywhere). Personally I hope where you fight him isn't an area with a lot of area to move around in, because I don't want to be fighting a monster that I can easily get around, but not too cramped area either. I would like another fight like in Doom 2 where you can make the Cybie and Spider mastermind fight, it would be neat if you could get them swinging at eachother and shooting.

The cyberdemon should be Huge, Docile and it's breath should either damage you or get you high.

I don't really have any good ideas for the cybie (I trust Id to come up with stuff better than what I can imagine), but the following I hope:

- Pretty damn big. Look at the D3 Hell Knight - Cybie should be at least twice that tall (I wouldn't mind some "artistic freedom" making him even bigger).

- The same kind of large, bending horns, but naturally cooler looking and with neato details.

- Hooves.

- A mess of wires and internal machinery intermingled with something that looks like guts, all exposed by a hole in its stomach (done in a style similar to the cybie on the D2 title pic).

- A cool rocket launcher arm (maybe with a smaller backup gun in addition to the launcher itself).

- Lots of visible cybernetic implants.

- Can attack the player by either stomping on him, throwing him across the room with well-placed swipes/blows, or even butting him with his horns.

In addition to this, I expect nothing less than totally awesome sounds from it; the cybie should sound like it's damn heavy and its roars should be truly bone-chilling.

If its that damn huge, it should kill your ass in one horn blow/stomp.

btw/ do the rockets kill on impact, or is Doomguy's armour as strong as it looks flimsy?

Janderson said:

If its that damn huge, it should kill your ass in one horn blow/stomp.

Yep exactly >:-]

DSM, if you want the Cybie as big as you are suggesting, then how would he be able to head-butt you with his horns? Get down on all four knees?

The swiping sounds cool imo; both his arms and his rocket launcher should be able to do that. Also, it would be very cool if Cybie had some sort of high-shrill sound that it would make in between battle. Like throw his hands back, kneel a bit and let out a menacing 'ROAR'. Something it can do after it kills you as well; would add a new dimension to it.

Imagine seeing a roaring, huge cyberdemon and mastermind fighting it out.

Hmm, I hope the Spiderdemon is stronger than the Cyberdemon in Doom3. I also hope the Cyberdemon isn't frustrating and boring to kill.

doomedout said:

if you want the Cybie as big as you are suggesting, then how would he be able to head-butt you with his horns?

maybe he has a giraffe neck

we all know that there will be cyberdemon but we don't even know what kind of weapon he has. He might not even have a rocket launcher. The hellnight doesn't shoot demon green hell goo anymore so what is to say that the cyberdemon will have a rocketlauncher.

How do you know that the Hell Knight doesn´t have a ranged energy ball attack any more?

Also, the Revenant still has his homing rockets, so it wouldn´t be unlikely that the Cyberdemon still has a rocketlauncher. I think it would work quite well if the Cyberdemon has rockets for ranged attacks, and different melee attacks for close combat.

I kinda wondered for a bit if the doom3 cybie would look like this chap here, but i seriously doubt it because it doesn't mix with the doom 3 theme well

http://www.geocities.com/tstuke/Mangadoom/conceptart/manga_cyberdemon.jpg

I guess i'm just awaiting for what Id has to offer but i'm expecting the following features: large hulking size, nasty mug, cybernetic implants and a tank-ass gun, with doom 3 AI to boot.

I think i might draw my interpretation of doom3 cybie in a short while.

doomedout said:

DSM, if you want the Cybie as big as you are suggesting, then how would he be able to head-butt you with his horns? Get down on all four knees?

You're right, that was a stupid idea - I just shelled out everything that came to mind :-)

we all know that there will be cyberdemon but we don't even know what kind of weapon he has. He might not even have a rocket launcher. The hellnight doesn't shoot demon green hell goo anymore so what is to say that the cyberdemon will have a rocketlauncher.

Ah but the HK is a different package. Remember that the old HK was just a weaker, tan version of the Baron, now it seems like it's more its own thing. The "Doom3: The Legacy" video showed off a concept sketch of a monster which I'm 95% sure is an early concept of the baron, I'm sure it'll look different in the final game because that's definitely a monster Id wouldn't spoil, but if it's indeed an early baron sketch, it clearly shows that Id wants it to look different from the HK.

And maybe the Baron will throw the green glop of fiery goo at you instead of the HK.

Naw, I think it's unlikely that cybie will come without his rocket launcher - it's a good, all-around weapon for a boss monster, deadly, menacing but not too powerful either.

The head looks ok, but the cybernetics are too....cheesy Manga'ish. /Throws manga cybie in the dustbin.
No, I believe the Doom 3 cybie will look a lot more disturbing - namely in the face.

dsm said:

Ah but the HK is a different package. Remember that the old HK was just a weaker, tan version of the Baron, now it seems like it's more its own thing. The "Doom3: The Legacy" video showed off a concept sketch of a monster which I'm 95% sure is an early concept of the baron, I'm sure it'll look different in the final game because that's definitely a monster Id wouldn't spoil, but if it's indeed an early baron sketch, it clearly shows that Id wants it to look different from the HK.

And maybe the Baron will throw the green glop of fiery goo at you instead of the HK.

So, you're convinced that the Baron will show up in Doom3?
I've been wondering all the time, wether the HK is just a representative of the two, or wether they will also add the Baron. Because in Doom2, the only differences were color, sound and hit points and id wouldn't bother creating two almost identical monsters in doom3 anymore, would they?

Deathmatcher said:

So, you're convinced that the Baron will show up in Doom3?
I've been wondering all the time, wether the HK is just a representative of the two, or wether they will also add the Baron. Because in Doom2, the only differences were color, sound and hit points and id wouldn't bother creating two almost identical monsters in doom3 anymore, would they?

Why wouldn't the Baron be in Doom 3? Don't you remember E1M8?

The Baron is perfect as a miniboss and considering that the HK *may* not have a ranged attack, there'll be twice the reason to add the Baron. Pardon me, but I think it's ridiculous to assume that the Baron won't be back, just because they haven't shown him yet.

Yes, there's a small possibility that he won't be in, but the risk is microscopic, namely with one of the monsters that was considered by many as DOOM impersonated.

Common sense suggests that he's in - Doom 3 is, after all, being developed by huge fans of the original. You just aren't a fan if you want to leave out the Baron.

Deathmatcher said:

id wouldn't bother creating two almost identical monsters in doom3 anymore, would they?

How are they identical? The baron would probably look like a giant red goat with pants. I doubt he'll look like a recoloured hell knight

Dron said:

How are they identical? The baron would probably look like a giant red goat with pants. I doubt he'll look like a recoloured hell knight

Maybe not a goat any longer, but since the HK has no horns, the Baron will most likely have them, and if we're lucky, it'll even have hooves.

Also, the Baron would have a more "majestic" way of walking compared to the lumbering, hunch-backed form of the HK.

I imagine that the Baron would seem "smarter" than the Hell Knight. What if it were given more magic abilities aside from hurling flaming green goo? There are plenty of possibilities if you think about it.

Nowadays, making an identical version of a different enemy, altering its hitpoint and colour and calling it something else would hardly be accepted by gamers like it did back then. Certainly not in a first person shooter and I think Id knows that.

BlueSonnet said:

I kinda wondered for a bit if the doom3 cybie would look like this chap here, but i seriously doubt it because it doesn't mix with the doom 3 theme well

I dont like that picture I dont think the legs and rocket launcher look right there to star-trek looking or some shit and I also dont think that four horns looks right on it. The body also has to look more gruesome.

I hope that the rockets of the Cyberdemon are stronger than the ones of the player.
I imagine the cyber darker and bigger (1/5 less than Eidolon). Eyes that glow in the dark. Probably the boss that you must kill to enter in Hell.
If it has secondary attacks, I hope that isn't any plasma or laser weapon. And of course, a lot of hit points, I don't want a boss like the ones in Quake 2.

About the Spider, the only thing about it's behavior is that it don't spawn little monsters, as the final boss in Quake 2 Mp2.

Deathmatcher said:

I really hope your're right and he's in.

I hope so too, not only because it'd suck if Doom 3 doesn't have a Baron of Hell, but because it'd be fucking embarassing for me now that I've been so fucking confident in it being there.

Oh, I just checked some old mag scans (yeah, they're legal now) and found an interesting bit:

This scanned page says:
The bestiary of creatures also pulls from both Doom and Doom II. The imp, Commando, "Pinky" Demon, Revenant, Arch-Vile, Mancubus, and Lost Souls are all present and accounted for, and you can be pretty sure that initial sketches for a reinvented Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon, and Arachnotron were hidden away on a hard drive, or under a stack of papers, far away from my prying eyes.

Yes I know, it isn't actually confirmed, but the fact that the journalist would mention them like this suggests that he was perhaps told (by Id) that Id were designing those critters at that time - draw your own conclusions.

That's quite an old picture now that i think about, not mention a design i'm not using.

dsm said:

/Throws manga cybie in the dustbin.

Meh. People do that with my art a lot.

Anyone remember that cybie design from planetdoom? What do you guys think of that one?

edit: Here's the one i'm on about
http://www.planetdoom.com/potd/index.asp?id=449638
Doesn't look very Idish to me