Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Piezo

Co-op Standard

Is there a genereal standard way to co-operatively play a game? I figured the best way is to play closest to a person would alone, but some things have to be changed when more people are involved. What settings do you think should be made in the source port to play in a co-op game?

The standard Cooperative setup works quite fine as long as its relatively well supported in the wad in question.

It sounds like you've never played the actual game on Cooperative mode; if the real game doesn't work for you, try Doom95 or PrBoom, these are normal in that respect.

Oh goodness no I've played co-op in Legacy, ZDoom, ZDaemon and Skulltag. I just want to see if there is an agreed standard setting in co-op, for the purpose of dedicated servers.

Coop doesnt work dedicated. It may technically run perfectly, but most maps are not designed properly for coop and can "lock up". By lock up I dont mean anything will crash or freeze, but the map can change in such way it is no longer possible to finish the game.

Imagine a hallway with a small room at the end. The room has a door, but its locked. When one enters the room, a barricade behind him will raise, locking him in the room. The room also has a switch, which opens that door as well as the barricade. But the room also has a Hell Knight which you must fight.

If a furry 4 player coop game runs this map, there is a high chance it can lock up. When one player enters that room and gets killed by the Hell Knight before he can reach the switch... :) When running dedicated, you need to call the admin to restart it, otherwise you're stucked.

The answer would be simple: "Make a switch for the barricade in the hallway as well"... but like I said, most maps are not properly designed for coop. Its not a good idea to run a coop game dedicated.

Surely in co-op as the players are holding hands, they couldn't get separated behind a door?

What do you mean by setup, Piezo? Like game settings and such? It all comes down to the host's choices, really... although there are a few things you should probably set on all the time (I've seen some morons who disable autoaim because they think it's something new in whatever port they're using). Then again, if a host is using a setting that pissed you off, just don't play. That's what I do anyway. :-P

One option would be to have a console command that will send a vote option to all the players like :
1 - warp to next map
2 - restart current map
3 - don't change

or a simple warp to next map ? yes/no question could work too.
The vote thing would be cool if some guys try to abuse warping levels.

fodders said:

Surely in co-op as the players are holding hands, they couldn't get separated behind a door?

Sure they can make it into the room all together, but if none of them can reach the switch before the Hell Knight kills them, they respawn and find out they cant finish the map because the barricade is still up.

VinceDSS said:

One option would be to have a console command that will send a vote option to all the players like :
1 - warp to next map
2 - restart current map
3 - don't change

or a simple warp to next map ? yes/no question could work too.
The vote thing would be cool if some guys try to abuse warping levels.

By that you mean exiting without asking? Yeah. I always play by the rule that you don't exit unless everyone's in the exit room, or the stragglers say go ahead anyway. Especially in Legacy, because I've had games with more than 4 players, some guy exited and I got stuck at a DM start with no guns. Wonderful ¬_¬

CodeImp said:
Sure they can make it into the room all together, but if none of them can reach the switch before the Hell Knight kills them, they respawn and find out they cant finish the map because the barricade is still up.

I had a barricade issue playing the demo of Flashback (I remember reporting the problem.) But I think that the main issue with public Cooperative server play is the intrusion of people that want to spoil the session (which eventually leads to the "friendly fire is harmless" setting, which already dampens play) and the lack of focus in such an environment. Setting up a game privately (over a server, peer to peer, or even at a LAN) is the best way to go for Cooperative games.

Well... that's one way. I co-run Clan ORB (the mostly DC clan), and one of our few rules is that you have to abide by some courtesy rules in coop. These include rules against firing at each other too much, running ahead of the pack all the time so that no one else gets any kills, and the exiting thing I mentioned earlier. That's just as good IMO; that way you can limit the people you play with to the ones that you know won't be idiots ingame.

netnomad312 said:

Well... that's one way. I co-run Clan ORB (the mostly DC clan), and one of our few rules is that you have to abide by some courtesy rules in coop. These include rules against firing at each other too much, running ahead of the pack all the time so that no one else gets any kills, and the exiting thing I mentioned earlier. That's just as good IMO; that way you can limit the people you play with to the ones that you know won't be idiots ingame.

That's nice, maybe you could set up a team of 2 players and start making quality coop demos for the Compet-N ?

you can find it here : doom2.net/compet-n

Coop is way funnier than solo, would be nice to see more coop players at the Compet-N.
If you a coop addict, you can find top notch coop demos there.

I don't think many of us are familiar with that... although I supposee it depends on the person. Usually we just hang out on Doom Connector and sometimes Skulltag. Personally, I don't even know what it is...