Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

Influences from (horror) movies?

Surely there's got to be a few, besides the obvious zombie\demon theme.

It's just that i was playing E3M9 the other day, and when i got to the part where i go back to the beginning, go down the new path and teleport behind a few cacos, i realised that, imo, there was a slight resemblance to the zombie pen from day of the dead. And of course the combination of zombies, chainsaws, shotguns, and flying eyeball things (though more inspired by D&D), can obviously be related to the evil dead series (as i seem to recall that was one of Romero's and Carmack's favourite films).

Any other ones that Id has picked up on?

Ryback said:

Alien/Aliens: the graphics, the plot, and a lot of the atmospherics

Indeed. They originally wanted to do a movie liscence for the game, but disregarded it because they wouldn't have very much creative control.

I don't watch horror movies because they somehow scare me way more than any computer game could ever hope to scare me (and I hate to be truly scared).

But if you could call Predator a horror movie (it was to me - those skinless corpses suddenly appearing out of nowhere will forever haunt me), that one's an influence too.

Spectres.

Alien/Aliens:

UAC = Wayland Utani
I get the "aliens" feel from Doom a great deal but I also get feelings of the Day of the Dead movie also. Aliens and Day of the Dead are two of my faveroit films so it idealy fits in with my favourite video game also.

It's (obviously) not a horror film, but Dungeons and Dragons had a noticable influence on Doom. The cacodemon, for instance, is straight off the cover of a D&D sourcebook (Manual of the Planes IIRC).

Why, that's a pure cacodemon. Interesting. Wonder if we can find out what influenced ID when they were making Doom O_o

Indeed. Although the concept as a floating sphere with a big mouth and one eye can't come from anything but the Beholder:

myk said:

Indeed. Although the concept as a floating sphere with a big mouth and one eye can't come from anything but the Beholder:

[Beholder image]

Holy crap! Maybe Doom 3's cacodemon is gonna resemble the beholder more closely since it supposedly has "multiple eyes"!
Heh, that Beholder image reminds me of a basket ball or an old, brown soccer ball.

Sorry about the off topic comment, but that thought had to be shared where convenient.

The Barons (and subsequently the HKs) are based off of D&D as well iirc. Sadly, I don't have any links, neither to written info nor pics.

Actually, Cacodemons was an actual recorded demon by past "hell enthusiasts." They gave names, families, and species classifications for all teh demons they could come up with and this name and look for the CacoDemon was the same case.

mje said:

That's cool though. id's is different (for one, id's doesn't have a body)

That being the only difference, however. =P