Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janderson

Pain in the ass,

I just got Painkiller for PC, I got to install it and i have installed DirectX 9, but when I try to open it a box comes up with; 'Failed to initialise DirectX 9 Renderer.'

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

if u can use OpenGL then try it. but i bet it is a directX only game.

perhaps you have a el-cheapo graphics card or a card that is optimized for OpenGL (not very likly, all major cards use both OpenGL and directX)

do this
update AGP drivers
update Graphics drivers
re-install directX

if you have a intel, sis or other low end card, forget about running the game. get a new card!

Either way you shouldn't need a DX9 card to run the game. It should run fine on an older one granted the chipset is supported. Seeing as how the Intel Extreme graphics series sells more graphics chips then all of the ATI/Nvidia high/lowend cards combined, I'd say it's supported. Yes, Intel sells more graphics "cards" which are onboard graphics, then ATI/Nvidia do combined.

Janderson said:

How do you perform surgery on a laptop?

Forget about it. Most laptops use a crappy built-in GPU by like Intel or something. Those Intel cards are junk.

yea intel is directX, i dont thing openGL will work too well

it may work with directX but it will NOT work for that game. if it is a laptop forget about running that game. if it is a desktop get a REAL graphics card. Nvida or ATI, the choice is yours

It depends on the laptop. I've upgraded to a Radeon 9000 on the one that I am typing on right now.

AndrewB said:

It depends on the laptop. I've upgraded to a Radeon 9000 on the one that I am typing on right now.

How mush did the Radeon 9000 cost, and are there any sites on how to do put graphics cards in?

most laptops you can't preform any major updates as such. so basicly forget about running that game on the laptop.

if you can update then you are lucky.

tell us what the hell you have first off, other wise we are flying blind

we need to know system specs
what video card you have and such
2 easy ways
left click on desktop, not on icons or task bar.
go to setting tab, top of newly opened window somtimes it shows card here
if not click advanced, give more card info

way 2
right click on "my computer"
click "hadware" tab
click "device manager" button
click dispay drivers/graphics card
give us information it lists

chances are the game WILL NOT run on your laptop. unless it has a decent Nvidia or Geforce/FX card

The only thing I can find is 'display adapters,' does that count?
This is an SiS 630/730.

Every time I search for graphics cards it goes 'item not found.'
I don't think I have one. O_o

Janderson said:

The only thing I can find is 'display adapters,' does that count?
This is an SiS 630/730.

Every time I search for graphics cards it goes 'item not found.'
I don't think I have one. O_o

forget about it.
you cant possibly run the game on that laptop. no way no how!

if by some slight chance this card is upgradeable then you might be able to. however i highly dout you can. so just forget it and play the game on you desktop system, dont have one with power to handle? well you are screwed unless you can return the game

Well actually I do have a powerful Desktop Computer, its just at home now and I have to make do with these embarassingly slow sixth form computers.

sorry about your luck, i know. i wish i had never bought compaq 2 years ago. worst thing i have ever owned.

next time i will get a more robust laptop. one that can take day to day use and still run well.